Author Topic: DOA 5 coming 2012  (Read 35487 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
Re: DOA 5 coming 2012
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:32 AM »
*sigh*  MK tried to tone down the violence once...too bad it just completely highlighted how meh the game was without it to begin with.  Then they made a better game WITH their trademark violence and gore.

DOA was never that great to begin with...without the sexy, exactly why would anyone buy DOA over SCV or TTT2?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
*sigh*  MK tried to tone down the violence once...too bad it just completely highlighted how meh the game was without it to begin with.  Then they made a better game WITH their trademark violence and gore.

DOA was never that great to begin with...without the sexy, exactly why would anyone buy DOA over SCV or TTT2?

You haven't played DOA 3 or even 3.1 have you???

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »

I'll admit, I have not.  Was it good to where my comment looks ignorant and stupid?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »
The original DOA and DOA2 were my faves.

Especially DOA1, cuz it was very VF-ish. Hell it was even on Sega Model 2 hardware.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »

I'll admit, I have not.  Was it good to where my comment looks ignorant and stupid?

Maybe a bit ignorant, but it's not like I don't understand; most people didn't get a chance to play 3.1 because it was for the Japanese xbox only, and 3.0-- while it was great, people were skeptical about xbox as a system, let alone fighting games on the system til Cashcom came through with ports, along with SNK...

From what I remember, the game had sidesteps that worked, unlike in the other games. Plus, not every move was like -17 on hit, block, etc... Most DOA games have negative frames for even the safest of pokes, so essentially, you're never safe and are forced to apply yomi in every situation, so they definitely reworked frames in 3.1. Holds were better as well. I felt 3.0 and 3.1 were grittier than the other games, and I'm a big Jann Lee player, so I felt he got beefed up really well... I play other characters like Zack, Bayman, and I picked up Brad, too... 

Before 3.0 even came out, DOA2U was actually pretty great... I honestly felt like that ninjas didn't matter in that game unlike in 4, where I felt a few non-ninja characters were viable, but then I didn't really get into the system way in-depth like I did with 2U and 3... I felt like too much was thrown in there, plus I'm definitely not a fan of moving danger zones...

One thing DOA did right though was the tag modes... Combos just felt better, especially if you guessed right, and launches were higher back then, too...

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »
DOA 2 and DOA 3.1 were actually pretty decent. They still didn't quite compare to Tekken and VF though.

It all depends whether or not they're going to take the blueprint for 4 and run with it. But from the looks of it, they're concentrating more on story and flashy moves, which makes me nervous.

EDIT: What's the deal with every company needing to cop SFIV? First, MK with X-Rays and EX, then KOF with EXs, then SC with Brave and Crit edge, and now DOA with "cinematic fighting" bullshit. >_>
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:13:10 PM by Proto Cloud »

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:50 PM »
DOA 2 and DOA 3.1 were actually pretty decent. They still didn't quite compare to Tekken and VF though.

It all depends whether or not they're going to take the blueprint for 4 and run with it. But from the looks of it, they're concentrating more on story and flashy moves, which makes me nervous.

EDIT: What's the deal with every company needing to cop SFIV? First, MK with X-Rays and EX, then KOF with EXs, then SC with Brave and Crit edge, and now DOA with "cinematic fighting" bullshit. >_>
i think ex's are just one of those things that just work ive never seen anyone raise a question about them before kinda like how ff2 was the first game to have super moves(?) everyone saw that it worked well with the system and started using it

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:13 AM »
2D games have been great without EX for years. MK9 is probably the only exception in which case, it makes it a better game.

I don't really see the real need for it to have been shoehorned into KOF and SC.

As for supers, it actually was AoF that did it first. But even then, it took a while to catch on and it never caught on to MK, VF, SC or TK.

If there's anything to do this, is that I'd like companies to stick to what they're good at and stop trying to dickride each other.

I really hope Tekken doesn't try this.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:38:51 AM by Proto Cloud »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
The thing is, MK was horribad for about a decade, possibly more (I don't remember UMK3's release year).  At their point, wanting to really make a game worthy of being played at a high level, it's understandable in their desire to want to take cues from others.  Considering how Ed Boon actually seems to have a good rapport with Capcom, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually asked them for advice on the subject.

For KOF, obviously it's a bit of a touchy subject since there's plenty of people, especially 98 purists, who actually believe KOFXIII is a scrub game and that the original dream matches still shit on it like nothing, what with the more varied movesets and the emphasis on never taking any kind of hit, even a poke.  I believe the EX Move thing was done in order to actually make up for the lack of moveset.  As you can see, in KOFXIII most characters don't have as many moves as they did in the past.  EX moves having different properties help make up for that showing off some variety while requiring a lot less sprite work.  They don't have to put as many moves in when they can have EX moves maintain different properties, so I believe it's less about dickriding in this case and more about having as close to the varied moveset of the older games while not having to put as much work into their somewhat new sprite style.

As for Soul Caliber...honestly I don't know.  SC3 was a disaster, SC4 was a bit slow but other than that and like...Hilde, I guess it was fine.  The biggest problems SC seems to have come from the community's inability to actually agree on a standard set of bannings when it comes to characters and such that become a pain.  But other than that SC was running somewhat fine, it had a solid casual audience with single player options that kept people playing, and other than SC3 and SC4 Hilde, the game was fine on a technical level.  I'm gonna take a stab, but since I'm not big on SC, I'm probably wrong but from what I understand, there were just frame moves in SC, just like they had in Tekken.  Maybe the Brave Edges at least were put there to ease up on the execution but in it's place, you have that meter management to deal with.  I dunno if that's the case though.

And I doubt Tekken will try this though we won't be seeing Tekken 7 until Next Gen consoles I'm guessing so who knows.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »
Aight let's get something straight:

Capcom did NOT invent EX moves!!! That credit goes to Waku Waku 7, so in essence you can say SNK was responsible for that... This is yet another feature that Capcom took and claimed for themselves, as they did with Parrying...

I also remember SNK games having super powered versions of normal supers, like P-Supers in FF/MoTW, and even ones in Samsho, and other SNK games... SF4 wasn't the start of these crazy supers... They just took advantage of the "commercial FG hiatus" and threw things in people's faces that they've seen before and made it look brand new... No there really wasn't a FG drought either, and I have at least 4 reasons to prove that, but that's for another discussion...

As far as MK is concerned, MK2 was solid, just casually promoted, and its American, so it was under a shadow per sé when compared to SF2... UMK3 was probably the 2nd best solid game (I think it's better than MK2 though, even though combos were harder to do in MK2)... Again, being under a shadow, and in a period in time where the internet wasn't so dominant in people's houses (remember those Aol trial CDs, Encharta, and actual BBS sites??), so you didn't know who was playing it, where they were playing it, and on what system unless you went to school with those cats... I mean, MK is solid now imo, but is still getting dogged by America...

I honestly don't see how X-ray moves are similar to Revenge Moves... I mean it's not as over the top as they were, and real talk, MK had something like that already in Deadly Alliance, where you would hit a button to impale someone, and they'd bleed til the end of the round... They just revamped that imo, and made it so that the game was still competitive without wondering if there were gonna be any shenanigans like that, or the UMK3 Kabal rushdown...

-----------------

Ok, back to DOA... The last one they released for the 3DS had such an in-depth story, which filled lots of holes that were made in the previous games... Kudos to them on that...

Honestly though, I feel like DOA is better off without Itagaki, as if he was holding the game back from being better... At the same time, Team Ninja is making good moves in terms of story and appearance, but when it comes to the actual gameplay, it's meh... I mean when the community is telling them of changes that need to be made, and they interview the bigwigs, all they've got to say is "We feel the game doesn't need to be changed. Blah blah blah", WTF is up with that?!?!?! They're so inspired by Sega they basically take the same business/marketing approach and avoid engaging the customers/fans... I don't understand it... The community has been crying for an overhaul of DOA and to make it more along the lines of 3.1, and these guys are like, "yeah man, whatever..." They don't realize that their game is at the bottom of the totem pole of fighters, and I like the game, but it is what it is... Smash does better than DOA, and DOA is only doing ok because of mad advertising/promo from Microsoft, and it was a launch title, like part 3 was...

Anyway, I hope that they actually do make vital system changes in the game... Aside from removing falling KO's, and adding stupid moving danger zones, I definitely am not a fan of forced wakeup by being down attacked... That eliminates the whole wakeup game, and it's a lazy way out of guessing... Plus it keeps the downed opponent from moving anywhere, they just get up right there, only to be left open for a grab, or whatever...

I do like how the characters don't have an anime look to them, but they actually look real... I feel sorry for the Spartan players though... I hope they add new characters though...

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »
2 of my favorite 3d fighters joining force,
this kinda killed my hype on seeing how TxSF will be like

DOA5 GDC Play movie

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »
mmm, I think that I'm maybe reading too much into this, but considering that maybe just 5 characters had been announced for DOA 5 from the original series, could we see this somehow became a DOA vs VF?

Waifu Material

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
No, Akira is a guest Character and nothing more, this "might" hint of future plans

word on the street has this game coming out in September, I still want to see Jan Lee and Eliot

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »
Elliot needs his 4th costume back from doa 4

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »
This here shows that Sega is starting to change for the better... The last "crossover" thing they ever did was---- Fighters Megamix...

Oh no, there was that Sonic vs Mario thing, but in terms of fighters, Sega had a iron curtain separating itself from other companies... Things are definitely changing for the better...

This does make sense, seeing as DOA is VF-lite, with a stronger emphasis on yomi...