Poll

Which SNK franchise deserves the next update/upgrade?

Last Blade
5 (17.9%)
Samurai Shodown/Spirits
5 (17.9%)
Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu
10 (35.7%)
Art of Fighting
3 (10.7%)
Another franchise not listed
5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Next updated franchise  (Read 10858 times)

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Next updated franchise
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:05:47 AM »
I'd vote for either Last Blade or Samurai Shodown. Last Blade because it's unknown to most gamers which is a shame; Samurai Spirits because I'd like to see XII/XIII-esque sprite work for it.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Parapets

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Next updated franchise
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:11:55 AM »
I've never played Last Blade, so I can't comment on that. I played Samurai Shodown a little bit, but I didn't like it. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is one of my favorite games right now, though. I'd love to see a new edition of that in HD.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:39:27 AM »
I voted Fatal Fury. 2011 is gonna be the franchises 20th anniversary. I am gonna be very disappointed if SNK doesn't do a new game for such an event.

If it's another pachinko game I am gonna rage.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:41:23 AM by Running Wild »

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:31:12 AM »
I love Fatal Fury, but I'm going to go with Art of Fighting on this one.  AOF needs more players!

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
AOF needs more players!

Very true Fudge
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »
I'd love to see a new SamSho but after that 3D one, I don't have much faith in it so I voted Fatal Fury/Garou. Realistically, I don't think SNK could afford to go with the same labor-intensive graphical style of KoF so I'd hope for GG style sprites. The game should either follow up Mark of the Wolves or the Real Bout series.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 03:50:44 AM »
What I think would be their biggest success is to consider updating the Fatal Fury series but in a dream match way. Fix some of the bugs from the Garou system and add some other things form the previous games and you have the makings of a game people would love to death.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:31 PM »
I voted for another franchise, and that one would be Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

It would be a great stepping stone to making characters towards updating a load of their classic series, it'd give them a much wider range of characters to draw from, and it'd let fans of each series at least see some of their favorite characters in H(igher)D.

It's also my prefered SNKP-born tag system, and I felt it did a good job of making each character feel like they retained their own gameplay (Like with Haomarou being a powerhouse, or K' still being rather versitile), or had sell made revisions (Tung Fu Rue is awesome on NGBC, and Hanzo and Fuma feel quite well updated.)

Maybe we'd even get to see a few Rage of Dragons, or Fighters History characters thrown in, for good measure! Jones and Billy Lee VS Mizonguchi and Zazie... Abobo VS Mastorious! It'd be really interesting to see such characters get another chance to shine, just like the original NGBC brought back characters such as Lee Pai Long, Mudman, and Ashura.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »
Metal Slug.

SNK has driven it into the ground but the first and second are simply amazing, still some of the best 2D visuals and gameplay to this day. Its also the only non-fighter SNK franchise that has legs imo.

SNK will prolly opt for the safest bet, KOF14, for its next fighter rather than waste resources building another one from the ground up at the calibre of the KOF refresh. It would be the smart thing to do.

All being said and done I would rather SNK make something completely new. They have amazing ppl working for them and I would love to see what original ideas and characters they can come up with, instead of constantly having to build on the past.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »

Damn dude. That's a nice pic. Yours? If they did any fighter in that style then sign me up. I voted for Last Blade. I like the gameplay (aside from broken shit) and I think it's a pretty unique weapon fighter, and would probably be the most successful for them if done right. Know what I mean? If they tweak it just right, players of equal skill can do well if they play it at a slower pace and know how to use parries, and players that like a faster pace can get into it too.

Honorable mention to Art of Fighting, but I don't think it will happen. It was never a huge franchise like Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, and of course KOF. I'd like to see them develop a fighter with similar mechanics to AOF; and by that I mean using Taunts to drain opponents special meter, special moves costing meter, and charging meter. Those elements really make the first two AOF stand out from the rest.

What I think would be their biggest success is to consider updating the Fatal Fury series but in a dream match way. Fix some of the bugs from the Garou system and add some other things form the previous games and you have the makings of a game people would love to death.

I could go for that, but I don't think JD should be in it. And when you take away JD you remove everything Garou had going for it (aside from the removal of the 'slide'). I think a new FF modeled more on Real Bout 2 could work really well. I also hate the poke priority in Garou.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:16:17 PM by LouisCipher »
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
That screen is from the Fatal Fury video pachinko game. It was produced for Fatal Fury's 15th anniversary I believe, and is basically SNK's slap to the face to Garou fans.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:45:47 PM by Running Wild »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
Ah well, there's still hope. I can't imagine SNKP ignore Fatal Fury, their first big hit. It would be like Capcom ignoring Mega Man. Sure they put him in shitty games, but they've never ignored one of their first big successes.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

JT_Chill

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 01:38:46 AM »
I hope with next year being the Twentieth Anniversary, they will finish off Garou 2 and release it.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »
that ff pic looks crappy. its almost as bad as ssf2hd.

that being said, id hope for a new SS but a really really pretty and good one.

after this it could be rb3, motw2 or lb3 for all i care. all awesome. though motw2 would be my least prefered of the 3 (mainly cause the system is too much like kof/sf cept without a team). rb had a totally revamped system (and way better characters than motw). and the same goes for lb. if theres one game i really wouldnt wanna see (and that would probably put snkp back in bancruptcy) is aof. game was always terrible, and the characters have the least amount of fans over the world (cause most of the cast sucked).
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Nocturnal

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
I voted for a new FF game. I think FF would probably be the next best choice. Either MOTW 2 or RB3 or just a FF game itself. LB3 would be nice but I highly doubt it would happen. AoF I really don't see happening at all. Not enough fanbase for it. New SS 2D game would be nice. SNK has a few options so anything is up in the air.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.