Dream Cancel Forum

News:

New to the forums? Introduce yourself HERE!

Racing Game thread

Started by sibarraz, October 02, 2011, 03:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saitsuofleaves

Quote from: marchefelix on October 04, 2011, 08:50:30 PM
I don't know about you guys, but if there's one game series I really hate, it's Need for Speed. I hate how it celebrates the "Fast and Furious" culture (I don't know if that makes sense to anyone...). I'll take the boring real-life driving simulators over that any day.

Honestly, no, I don't get that.  Not to mention, they haven't done a Fast & Furious wannabe game in a while either, and the only ones people even liked were the Undergrounds which were solely made to piggyback off the success of the movie.

Idk why you'd hate how it "celebrates" it.  I can understand disliking its style of game (plenty of people don't) but that's just...weird.

It's best if you elaborate why you hate the so called FaF culture.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

marchefelix

FaF culture:

"Ooh, I'm so cool because I have a Japanese car I can tune up with all the money I have which allows me to get pussy and act all cool and badass."

That attitude is what I hate. It's kinda similar to gangsta culture but with a car added on to it. Basically, I don't like swagger and arrogance.

Saitsuofleaves

Quote from: marchefelix on October 04, 2011, 10:56:30 PM
FaF culture:

"Ooh, I'm so cool because I have a Japanese car I can tune up with all the money I have which allows me to get pussy and act all cool and badass."

That attitude is what I hate. It's kinda similar to gangsta culture but with a car added on to it. Basically, I don't like swagger and arrogance.

Okay, yeah, I didn't get that feeling from ANY NFS game...

I mean, i could understand that, but tbqh, Street Racing is nowhere near like what is portrayed in FaF (though the arrogance might remain, but let's be honest, humans are arrogant >_<).

Also, Muscle beats Import every time.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

sibarraz

After carbono, NFS is a series which is approaching more a forza style than the FaF style, and even the run is far from being that

Waifu Material

Xxenace

anyone play the forza 4 demo? game is beautiful

baccano1932

Quote from: Saitsuofleaves on October 04, 2011, 03:45:35 AM
Yeah, racing games are an odd beast for sure.  It's sort of like the 2D/3D fighting game thing, only the general public and casuals are a lot more observant of the differences.  And like that dichotomy, companies usually tend to try and corner one part of the market instead of all of it, and usually when they try to go a little too far into the other corner, bad things happen (NFS Prostreet for example).  But if a company can somehow either make good games of both types, they could corner the market.

The problem is, there are entrenched series now that people will go to in order to get their fix, just like Fighting Games (SF/MK for 2D, Tekken/Soul Caliber for 3D, just like GT/Forza for Realism and Burnout/NFS for Arcade).

Two interesting questions.  If you're on the outside looking in, which style do you try and go after?  Second question...if you're already inside, do you try and take a shot at the other corner with your main franchise?

If I was a developer thinking of starting a new racing franchise I would definitly go for the arcade style because overall the interest in arcade style racers tends to be much greater and they generally sell better than sim type racers, in addition to that the amount of work required to accurately replicate the way cars handle and brake, the way physics work ie: In a collision how would the car react? these types of issues would likely inflate development costs far beyond what it would cost to develop a more arcade style racer. Also if I already had an established series if it was a sim type racer I wouldn't consider going the arcade route since a large portion of the audience for the game would likely feel alienated by the decision as a lot of people who play a game like GT play GT and very little else in terms of racing games and they could possibly give up on the series.

Edit: I just noticed on GT Planet details on GT5's Spec 2.0 update and some vague information about DLC http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5-spec-2-0-dlc-details-standard-car-interiors-replay-controls-new-cars-new-tracks-more/
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Xxenace

heres a car i half made in forza 3(didn't do the art)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

baccano1932

Footage of Spa de Francorchamps DLC track for GT5 in case anyone is interested in it.
Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 DLC • Ferrari F10 at Spa Francorchamps
Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 DLC • TVR Tamora at Spa Francorchamps Weather Change
Edit: added second video with weather effects
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

MUSOLINI

forza looks  soo fucking good, but plays soo fucking bad its killing me. especially my friends who only own a 360 are  still pissed of at the game handling like crap. has anybody making this game ever actually gotten around to driving a car in real life in wonder.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Xxenace

Quote from: MUSOLINI on October 17, 2011, 07:35:14 PM
forza looks  soo fucking good, but plays soo fucking bad its killing me. especially my friends who only own a 360 are  still pissed of at the game handling like crap. has anybody making this game ever actually gotten around to driving a car in real life in wonder.
forza handles bad?

baccano1932

Wow GT5 DLC delayed... in North America but, why? who knows. Oh well at least there is a bonus included.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5s-dlc-delayed-in-north-america-releases-october-25-with-special-bonus/

Xxenace

so the new need for speed games is kinda meh

MUSOLINI

Quote from: Xxenace on October 18, 2011, 12:16:16 AM
Quote from: MUSOLINI on October 17, 2011, 07:35:14 PM
forza handles bad?

forza handles like crap. all the cars float on the road  instead of actually driving on it. the feeling you have with the tires gripping the road, i can feel it in gt but not in forza. ive driven fast cars and ive driven fast as well, its nothing like in this game. add the fact that the cars ive driven had better handling with sports tires than forzas real race cars with racing tires do. the handling in gt is way more realistic than anything in forza, and no thats not imo. ive driven close to 300 kmh in cars like porsche, bmw and benzes, i can feel the realness in games like gt because it actually resembled how cars handle in real life. in forza, fuck no. its actually no biggy for me, but some of my friends that only own a 360 want something similar to the driving experience of gt and theres nothing even close to it on 360. forza kept on getting better and better with each instalment, but none of that matters when the cars drive like they do. forza looks really good though, i think f4 is at least as goodas gt5 in the looks  department.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

sibarraz

You must be the first person who says that forza 4 handles bad

And I had talked with guys who literally only play simulator games or real cars

Waifu Material

Xxenace

anybody getting daytona next week?