Author Topic: Best character in OG 98 that's not execution heavy?  (Read 3951 times)

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
Best character in OG 98 that's not execution heavy?
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:23:34 AM »
Just trying to get some training in on GGPO. I've said it before but I can't get into the OG KOF's because of bad controls. But I want to fuck around for a bit, so I was curious which characters you guys would suggest are good (like mid-tier) but not execution heavy?

So far for me it looks like: Billy, EX Shermie, debatably Clark, and EX Kyo and Shingo.  

I'd LOVE to use Iori but the controls are so bad in the OG KOF's it's pretty much impossible to consistently get all 3 of his Rekka's to hit. It just never happens. Any character with a Rekka doesn't work out for me for that reason.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

AzureTAG

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Best character in OG 98 that's not execution heavy?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »
I think Ralf is the highest ranking character and the LEAST execution heavy.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
The living C button (Ralf) is probably the least execution heavy character in the game and still pretty strong.  I think O.Yashiro, Chris, O.Chris, Goro (aside from some unblockable setups), and Benimaru are also rather easy as far as execution goes, but I don't have any issues with the controls for OG98, so take that for what it's worth.
Old man/bad player

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Oi vei, I'm reminded of how punishing 98 is. Just 1 or 2 mistakes and that's it. Weirdly enough, I do fairly well with Clark of all characters but I think that's because everyone is a little afraid of him and make mistakes rather than me being good with him.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
No offense man, but if you can't perform all 3 of Iori's rekkas consistantly (qcb + P x3) then I don't think it's game to blame, lol.

Someone mentioned Goro, and I would suggest him as well. In max mode you can almost literally just stand in one place and press any button to win with him if they try to advance close to you. Then when you knock them down is when the scary 50/50 command grab mixup shit happens.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
No offense man, but if you can't perform all 3 of Iori's rekkas consistantly (qcb + P x3) then I don't think it's game to blame, lol.

Eh, I can pull off Rekka's in any other game (such as Yang in 3S or Freeman in Garou) but it's specifically the OG KOF's that that problem comes up. I can play XI and there's no problem.

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:27 AM »

Eh, I can pull off Rekka's in any other game (such as Yang in 3S or Freeman in Garou) but it's specifically the OG KOF's that that problem comes up. I can play XI and there's no problem.

I understand man, for some reason in OG98 specifically on GGPO the game is very strict on notations. After awile im used to it but the times i find my self doing the ( ;dn ;df ;fd  ;df ;dn ;db ;bk + ;c ) for Matures Ebony Tears and it not making it out. Making me do ( ;dn ;db ;bk + ;c) Death Row instead.

Just try your best to make sure you hit every notation on point, thats best i can give yea lol cause thats all I do and i wine up hitting it 9 outta 10 times.... on a good day lol
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:15:12 AM by biggdaddycane »

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »
At one time I played XI more than any fighter ever. One day I tried 98' (from 98UM) and I was shcoked that controls were bit... unresponsive or stiff. UM version had bit better controls. Is it that 98' suffers from aging? But still, XI's controls lose to 2003 controls, which are maybe the most responsive controls ever in fighting game (IMO).

But back to the topic. I'd say Ralf, Clark, Shingo and Ryo.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:25:26 AM »
ralf and chang

Then you had the better characters like kyo, iori, goro, and the yashiros and the biebers which needed execution to get them at 100%

Waifu Material

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »
the biebers

HAHAHA hell yeah man, I call him Justin Bieber too. I do think maybe Orochi Chris takes less execution than Normal Chris in 98...
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."