Author Topic: The King of Characters  (Read 2531 times)

Arttronik

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • Arttronik's Blog
The King of Characters
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
My friend made an awesome post on the art direction of KofXIII, I figured you'd all find it an interesting read:
http://art-eater.com/2011/12/king-of-characters/

He's a senior artist at DNA games and he knows his stuff, and an all around good guy! I figured I'd share.

Speaking of, Nona/Ogura did an awesome job with the art direction of this title!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:41:49 PM by Arttronik »
Add me on PSN: Username "Arttronik"
Watch our fighting game videos on: http://www.saltynegro.com

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Characters
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:15:07 AM »
Loved that article, loved what he had to say about Ash, Joe, and some of the western character trends. Thanks for sharing. After lots of hours of playing the game and trying to get combos and such down, and all the colors for characters, it's good to step back and be reminded of the detail and differences put into everyone.

If you can mention to him, see what he has to say about the color edit and if he's had any fun with it.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
That is a great article thanks for posting it Arttronik. It's very well articulated in drawing attention to the personality and uniqueness of the chr design. Would be nice if more people could pick up on that and appreciate it before saying "new ralf/clark are just meatheads, why'd they make goro fat?, what the hell happened to Athena did they swap her head with chun li!?" and so on.

This comment below it makes me laugh:
Playing gears of war, half the time I spent shooting at my own guys ’cause I couldn’t see the pointy teeth that distinguishes the grey bald linebacker locust from grey bald linebacker cogs.

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »
Great article. Thanks for sharing. I loved his article on Darkstalkers, and definitely hope he talks a bit more about the various KOF characters.

I really liked the older style of KOF sprites (94 ~ XI) and thought their realism made them stand out against most other fighters. But in a game with so many characters, it makes sense to emphasize and exaggerate differences between the characters. Actually, I feel the same way about Shinkiro. I like his style, but his character portraits did very little to draw out each character's unique traits.