Author Topic: Dr.Faust's Qustions on Improvement  (Read 2083 times)

Dr.Faust

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Dr.Faust's Qustions on Improvement
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »
Sup guys With KOFXIII right around the corner I'm trying to improve my game but being that I don't have a lot of experience (playing competitively for a year) or  really good gamers around me and the gamers that are near me don't play the type of characters that I do (strategy based playstyle) and none of them have any KOF experience. I tend to ask a lot of questions so I just made this thread so I don't clutter the forums with questions in the wrong place or ones that are more personal and are only helpful to myself.

I'm having some trouble doing Leona's V-Slasher form forward hop and forward hyper hop. I play on a LS-56 stick with an octa gate. It seems to me that I have the most trouble going form up-forward to  down or down to up-forward then back down. I have this problems in every game doing up forward moves( it might be because I'm left handed) When I try to do the V-Slasher of forward hop I move the stick up forward with the very bottom of my index and ring finger( where the fingers connect to the palm) then I bring both of those fingers down and enter the rest of the V-Slasher motion.  And its the same for the hyper hop but you add a down motion before the up forward. I ride the gate through this whole motion btw. And i play on my lap

The type of grip I use

KOF Teams
Beni,Leona,???

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
Re: Dr.Faust's Qustions on Improvement
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »
When you say doing it from a hop, I'm guessing that you're talking about both a tigerknee V-slaher (hop into instant V-slasher) and doing the V-slasher a little later during a hop.

For instant V-slasher, I have two main ways of doing it.  If it's a predictive/psychic/"man alive I hope this hits" situation, I input qcf,u/f,f,d/f,b+P.  If I'm doing it to try blowing up a sloppy frametrap or mistimed meaty, I input qcf,hcb,u/b+P.  A couple of other methods for instant V-slasher are qcf,qcf,b,u/b+P, qcf,u/f,qcf,b+P, qcf,u/f,qcb+P, or qcf,qcb,u/b+P.

For V-slasher later in a hop/jump (like trying to cancel it off of an air normal), I just go for qcf,d/f,b+P, since I can do that the fastest.

As for how to physically do the inputs, that's something you have to figure out for yourself by just trying until you figure it out.  I would suggest trying not to ride the gate, though, especially with an octagonal gate (because it has a larger opening than a square gate), since that will slow down your inputs.
Old man/bad player

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
You never tried playing on GGPO/Supercade in KOF?
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Dr.Faust

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »
@omegaryuji thanks that helps a lot. now i just need to find out how to use my fingers and wrist better.

@Desomond yes i do but school has gotten in the way.
KOF Teams
Beni,Leona,???

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
@omegaryuji thanks that helps a lot. now i just need to find out how to use my fingers and wrist better.

I use a style similar to yours, but I use my digits more. I'm naturally right handed, but left side dominant (strange right?), so my inputs from left to right actually require some work, but right to left is easier for me, because of faster input using my fingers instead of the whole hand/wrist. I have to vary either in grip and position sometimes to execute specific things. Learning those KOF-specific shortcuts help out, too...

How easy is it to move the arcade stick around? Before getting an HRAP, I used to struggle on my SvC stick. Also, does your input issues seem different when you play online vs offline, or are they the same???