Author Topic: Hello everybody  (Read 1860 times)

hiltzy85

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Hello everybody
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
Although I just joined the forums a couple days ago, I've been reading here for a few months, to get myself geared up for KOF XIII. 
Anyways, I'm a Canadian player, born in Halifax (Nova Scotia, east coast), but now residing in Montreal for the last 8 years.  I came up here for university, and stayed on for grad school.
I have more or less been into fighting games since the early 90s, when Street Fighter 2 first became available on SNES.  I also played some of the original Fatal Fury early on, on Genesis.
I played a lot of the earlier Street Fighter/Capcom VS series (I stopped after Marvel 2), a lot of CvS and CvS2 and to a lesser extent KOF98 and 99.

In more recent times, I got back into gaming and started playing SFIV about a year or so ago, but quickly moved on to MK9, Tekken 6 and KOFXII.  I mainly picked up XII because I knew that XIII would eventually be coming to consoles, and it was fun to pass the time for a while.
I've never really played any of the games competitively, as far as attending tournaments go, but I did play MK pretty seriously online up until online became totally dead (right around the time that Gears 3 was released), and I'm somewhat interested in playing KOFXIII online, once I get a better grasp of it.  I wouldn't say that I'm a total newbie, but my inputs could use some (a lot) of sharpening.

Anyways, glad to be part of the community.  My GT is the same as my name here on the forums (with nothing in caps)
Former Semi-Serious MK9 player, Mediocre T6 player, maybe one day I'll be a Mediocre KOF XIII player, too

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everybody
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »
Hello and welcome to Dream Cancel hiltzy85, it's a pleasure to meet you It's nice to a fairly old school player like yourself pick up XIII and i'm sure you'll be able to find many other players here.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
Welcome, hiltzy. If I remember correctly, there should be a few Canadian players around here, so feel free to open up a regional thread in the Offline Matchmaking section if you'd like to find some competition!

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »
Welcome to DC :)

I know we've got some members from Nova Scotia and Ontario (one of the latter myself *laughs* ), but I don't know any from Quebec off the top of my head.  Anyway, good luck with XIII!
Old man/bad player

hiltzy85

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »
thanks for the kind words, guys.  As far as being oldschool goes, I wish I could say that I am a super-dedicated stick player or something, but the truth of the matter is, I only started playing with a stick when I bought tekken 6, and that was like 2 months ago.  I usually play on a madcatz fightpad, because my inputs with the stick are still a bit sketchy (for example, do qcf, hcb+P, get crouching P about 25% of the time).

Montreal is a big city, so there must be some kind of fighting game scene somewhere, but was you guys said, its really just a matter of my looking hard.  I noticed some people in the XBL player listings who are at least from canada, so that helps.  I haven't actually played any online matches, yet, though.
Former Semi-Serious MK9 player, Mediocre T6 player, maybe one day I'll be a Mediocre KOF XIII player, too

jay

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/canada.120/

You should check that thread out.  You can find players in your region. Most of them will play SF and Marvel, but im sure a few of them will play MK, BB, GG, MB, and KOF

hiltzy85

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
thanks, I'll take a look