Author Topic: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Change log edition  (Read 362122 times)

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Change log edition
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »
various talk of console robustness
Yeah, I've had a 80 GB fatty PS3 since 2008 and absolutely no problems with it.  Hell, still using my PS2 from 2001 as well, with only having had to once replace the laser (though the disc tray is kinda wonky now and I sometimes need to restart once or twice to get it to start reading a disc).  If you can keep it in a clear space, no worries.

Some good news for us impatient players: KOFXIII is street dated! THis means the game will be in-store on 11/22.
Great to hear!  Going in for sure at NEC, then.

i mean like opponent is down i jump in imputting EX sleeves (using vice) if he back dash sleeves come out if he blocks nothing come out
i would prefer shit like this r not included in kof
Oh, I think what you're talking about is when you do a safe jump and then input something to happen if your attack doesn't hit or get blocked, right?  You can do that in KOF as well, but I think blockstop tends to be shorter in KOF games compared to SF (could be completely off base on this, just going by gut feeling), and KOF has a big variety of wakeup timings (like in 02UM, there are 16 different wakeup speeds over a range of 23 frames [for a 66 character roster] based on the wiki here), so learning to do frame-tight input timings across the whole cast with 3 different characters...it's possible, but very time consuming, prone to mistakes, and frankly, there are a lot of things that you need to be really good at doing first before something like that really makes a difference in your play.

It's doable, but for the sake of comparison, Guilty Gear (a game with every bit of the technical OCD syndrom of KOF where you had to learn a ton of character-specific timings for almost anyone you wanted to play) had about 13 different wakeup timings, which you only had to learn to deal with using 1 character, and even top players don't do wakeup traps perfectly close to 100% of the time in that game.

Edit: Also, considering stuff in KOF usually doesn't have invincibility through the active frames unless you spend meter, there's not as much of a need for the sort of OS you mentioned.  Meaty j.CD or cr.B blow up most "DP on wakeup" tactics.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:51:37 PM by omegaryuji »
Old man/bad player

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
this is the best november in the history of november's but my wallet says otherwise

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
  • I am not arrogant, I just have high standards.
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
this is the best november in the history of november's but my wallet says otherwise

Fukin A! Soon i get mw3, metal gear hd collection and umvc 3!

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
kof has enough dp's with enough invincible frames even on non ex dp's that most will beat any incoming attack. it's not like in 97 where they forgot to add invincible frames for over half of the cast, while pumping the rest of the dp's full of them.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »

What do you mean the sf4 way?

Do you mean like for example you'll do like a cr. lk and a ultra on a persons wake up and if the back dash the ultra hits?

i mean like opponent is down i jump in imputting EX sleeves (using vice) if he back dash sleeves come out if he blocks nothing come out

i see i hate that too, especially since i tend to backdash in that game only when i'm scared.

i tried it out in 98' and that specific os seemed to work with iori's rekka ( the only move i tried it with it got blocked on kyo's backdash though), but it took a bit to do since the game doesn't let you input specials to faraway from the ground.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:27:29 PM by darkTown2 »
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
various talk of console robustness
Yeah, I've had a 80 GB fatty PS3 since 2008 and absolutely no problems with it.  Hell, still using my PS2 from 2001 as well, with only having had to once replace the laser (though the disc tray is kinda wonky now and I sometimes need to restart once or twice to get it to start reading a disc).  If you can keep it in a clear space, no worries.

Some good news for us impatient players: KOFXIII is street dated! THis means the game will be in-store on 11/22.
Great to hear!  Going in for sure at NEC, then.

Oh, I think what you're talking about is when you do a safe jump and then input something to happen if your attack doesn't hit or get blocked, right?  You can do that in KOF as well, but I think blockstop tends to be shorter in KOF games compared to SF (could be completely off base on this, just going by gut feeling), and KOF has a big variety of wakeup timings (like in 02UM, there are 16 different wakeup speeds over a range of 23 frames [for a 66 character roster] based on the wiki here), so learning to do frame-tight input timings across the whole cast with 3 different characters...it's possible, but very time consuming, prone to mistakes, and frankly, there are a lot of things that you need to be really good at doing first before something like that really makes a difference in your play.

It's doable, but for the sake of comparison, Guilty Gear (a game with every bit of the technical OCD syndrom of KOF where you had to learn a ton of character-specific timings for almost anyone you wanted to play) had about 13 different wakeup timings, which you only had to learn to deal with using 1 character, and even top players don't do wakeup traps perfectly close to 100% of the time in that game.

Edit: Also, considering stuff in KOF usually doesn't have invincibility through the active frames unless you spend meter, there's not as much of a need for the sort of OS you mentioned.  Meaty j.CD or cr.B blow up most "DP on wakeup" tactics.

it wasnt an os to cover dp wakeups but it covers perfectly the backdash option
the example i mentioned with vice would kick backdash option very easily since u get an airborne status, sleeves would catch u for free. what u have to do is just jump in and see how the opponent reacts : he blocks ? ok sleeves dont come out and u r in a same position if he backdash u catch him with sleeves without any need of reactions or input  at the last time. considering u can os anytime and not just in wake up situation i would just prefer they r not into it to leave the game more 'human' and less 'automathic' . safe jumps , frames ... these r other stuffs which u have to know to improve ur game ok but doesnt impact heavily the practical part of the game
thats what i mean ... of course this is my opinion ! lots of ppl loves os but kof must be fast practical intuitive ... and RAW to me !
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:54:08 PM by sociald »

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »
the example i mentioned with vice would kick backdash option very easily since u get an airborne status, sleeves would catch u for free. what u have to do is just jump in and see how the opponent reacts : he blocks ? ok sleeves dont come out and u r in a same position if he backdash u catch him with sleeves without any need of reactions or imput at the last time. considering u can os anytime and not just in wake up situation i would just prefer they r not into it to leave the game more 'human' and less 'automathic' . safe jumps , frames ... these r other stuffs which u have to know to improve ur game ok but doesnt impact heavily the practical part of the game
thats what i mean ... of course this is my opinion ! lots of ppl loves os but kof must be fast practical intuitive ... and RAW to me !
Well, the example you gave sounded like the typical anti-DP/backdash OS in SF4, which is why I focused on that.  The reason why it works in that game is because you do the input at such a time that you will be in uncancelable frames if the first attack connected (due to hitstop or blockstop [where the game pauses for dramatic effect] extending the animation time) and in a neutral state if it whiffed due to the opponent doing something invincible.  The same approach won't work in KOF since backdashes have no invulnerability and a lot of cancelable normals can also cancel on whiff.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:00:47 PM by omegaryuji »
Old man/bad player

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
i've got a question...

since the new change for k''s ex fireball starts slow and gets progressively faster as it goes, does that mean that a player can do an ex fireball and use blackout to setup an unblockable from the other side?

of course the opponent could roll or jump to get away ( and it cost a meter ), but i'm just wondering if thats the case.

I don't think it works that way, K' can be punish during Blackout so I don't think it will be very useful outside of a wake up situation or even then.

In some stores earlier.  ;)

True I have a friend at a mom and pops shop that always sells the games before release date, as early as Thursday no later than Saturday before the release date.

I hope everyone got a chance to catch the tournament if you could. We hope you enjoyed it and congratulations to Jose for topping today.

Bring Jose to SCR =)
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »
i've got a question...

since the new change for k''s ex fireball starts slow and gets progressively faster as it goes, does that mean that a player can do an ex fireball and use blackout to setup an unblockable from the other side?

of course the opponent could roll or jump to get away ( and it cost a meter ), but i'm just wondering if thats the case.

I don't think it works that way, K' can be punish during Blackout so I don't think it will be very useful outside of a wake up situation or even then.

i already explained that this is very impractical in my post, what i was wondering was if it would set up a tricky mix-up or even an unblockable if it was timed well.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:44:31 PM by darkTown2 »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »
I just saw that they're doing a $500 Pot Bonus for KOFXIII at NEC.

Now I'm winning that shit lol.  I don't care, I'll win that crap.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 07, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »

I hope everyone got a chance to catch the tournament if you could. We hope you enjoyed it and congratulations to Jose for topping today.

Bring Jose to SCR =)

He says he wants to go, but that's really dependent on how we're all gonna get there. We're gonna have to organize a list of people who are taking cars and have room.

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »
the example i mentioned with vice would kick backdash option very easily since u get an airborne status, sleeves would catch u for free. what u have to do is just jump in and see how the opponent reacts : he blocks ? ok sleeves dont come out and u r in a same position if he backdash u catch him with sleeves without any need of reactions or imput at the last time. considering u can os anytime and not just in wake up situation i would just prefer they r not into it to leave the game more 'human' and less 'automathic' . safe jumps , frames ... these r other stuffs which u have to know to improve ur game ok but doesnt impact heavily the practical part of the game
Well, the example you gave sounded like the typical anti-DP/backdash OS in SF4, which is why I focused on that.  The reason why it works in that game is because you do the input at such a time that you will be in uncancelable frames if the first attack connected (due to hitstop or blockstop [where the game pauses for dramatic effect] extending the animation time) and in a neutral state if it whiffed due to the opponent doing something invincible.  The same approach won't work in KOF since backdashes have no invulnerability and a lot of cancelable normals can also cancel on whiff.

this sounds good to me ;)

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 07, 2011, 11:10:10 PM »

send me half of it and ill stop saying bad things about you

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 07, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »

send me half of it and ill stop saying bad things about you

Please, you think you the only random to say bad about me?  I'd be broke if I had to pay all of them off.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »
so how are we going to get more people to get into kof once 13 comes out?
are there going to be more tutorial vids like dandy j's coming from DC on how to play?

i just figure that it is kind of important to get the word out about this game, so that it can have a long lifespan like some of its predecessors as a great kof game and fair better than some other games that only stayed competitive for a year or so.