Author Topic: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Change log edition  (Read 362047 times)

Rukawa

• Rising Dragon
  • Kaede
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Change log edition
« Reply #1500 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »
First Review?

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-the-king-of-fighters-xiii/

The magazine Games TM reviewed it as well, giving it an 8.

In the same issue they gave UMVC3 a 7 and games like Uncharted3 a 9 so I think 8 is pretty damn good.

Don't care about reviews but good word of mouth via reviews is always good.

8.5, but I agree all things considered, if they gave UMvC3 a 7, Uncharted3 a 9, then 8.5 is respectable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452790

hey hey hey I don't have that one yet. damn it post office lazy mothafuckers

well seems like I'll get my copy tomorrow morning,errr I mean today, try the game for a few hours before work

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:25:14 AM by Rukawa »

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 22, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
The game sold out at Play Asia.

That's nice :), do you have any Idea how many copies we are talking about 100K, 200K or maybe 300k or more?
Also, has Atlus said anything about the sells here in the US?

>100K preorder in US
>50k preorder in Europe
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

K1LL1NGZ0NE

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 22, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
The game sold out at Play Asia.

That's nice :), do you have any Idea how many copies we are talking about 100K, 200K or maybe 300k or more?
Also, has Atlus said anything about the sells here in the US?

>100K preorder in US
>50k preorder in Europe
Those are good numbers, maybe not good enough for SNKP, but they're decent. A lot more than I expected that's for sure.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 22, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
It's just preorders. We have to wait atleast a week to see who else might buy the game and see if there's immediate returns for it. There's going to be streams all over the place and reviews have been popping up with numbers that even out do Marvel.

EDIT:
http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/22/king-of-fighters-xiii-snk-playmore-gets-it-right/
Even SRK is giving them props.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 22, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »
The finally posted IGN review:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1213121p1.html

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmhsyj_king-of-fighters-xiii-video-review_videogames

7/10

Hard to watch some of that gameplay and accept some of the reasoning.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 22, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
IGN has always been a joke.  IGN is for people who lack the capacity to think for themselves.  IGN could say smelling horse feces is a 10/10 and the brainless masses would assume it's 100% correct.
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo
-Benimaru(Duo Lon)/Robert/Takuma(Iori)

Might controls everything.

K1LL1NGZ0NE

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 22, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
It's just preorders. We have to wait atleast a week to see who else might buy the game and see if there's immediate returns for it. There's going to be streams all over the place and reviews have been popping up with numbers that even out do Marvel.
I know but I think its nice to have some numbers to play around with. And immediate returns(blows raspberry) who would do that?
EDIT:
http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/22/king-of-fighters-xiii-snk-playmore-gets-it-right/
Even SRK is giving them props..
Now that is ...unexpected.

Solidshark, you should do what I'm doing and ignoring that IGN review. IGN=:\

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 22, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »

Wish I could ignore them; if only the didn't speak to a lot of potential customers (i.e. growing competition). And also, wanted to see how much content they skipped or skimmed on (color edit, trial, etc.) and compare it to the 8.5 review UMVC3 got; I don't think netcode was even mentioned there.

Honestly this is new even for IGN. How does a wall street site like VentureBeat/Games Beat come up with a three-page review, and IGN's only got one?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:12:13 AM by solidshark »
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: November 22, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
I don't like where this is going with IGN. The soundtrack got a bad score? The netcode brought down the score in 3 different sections? And the bosses are cheap? This review is not serious, can't be. There's too much emphasis on the netcode, cheap bosses, and how "convoluted" the story is.

Then they go on to say the story is short! OBJECTION!

K1LL1NGZ0NE

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »

Wish I could ignore them; if only the didn't speak to a lot of potential customers (i.e. growing competition). And also, wanted to see how much content they skipped or skimmed on (color edit, trial, etc.) and compare it to the 8.5 review UMVC3 got; I don't think netcode was even mentioned there.
Yeah I know but look at the reasons they gave for the low score. I mean, if someone is generally interested or even casually interested and checks out what they gave it the negative marks on, they can decide whether that's a huge issue for them or not. UMVC 3, unfortunately, is a capcom game, and those always ALWAYS have to score good(yes if I remember correctly, network was never brought up).
I don't like where this is going with IGN. The soundtrack got a bad score? The netcode brought down the score in 3 different sections? And the bosses are cheap? This review is not serious, can't be. There's too much emphasis on the netcode, cheap bosses, and how "convoluted" the story is.

Then they go on to say the story is short! OBJECTION!
See they can't even properly defend their score. They lower the score hugely for such small things, it's like they're looking too give it a bad score.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 22, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
I just don't understand how you dock it down twice for the same thing with such a contradiction. How can a story be short and convoluted at the same time?

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:22 AM »
It's not really a contradiction unless you take it out of context and don't examine the situation on the whole. The convoluted mess would mean that the story is centered around events that have taken place over the course of KoF 94-97, then 03-XI. To many people, how would they know which games aren't canon? Because of this, the KoF storyline is convoluted when you jump into the end of a specific saga that heavily borrows plot points from some of the oldest games in the series.

The story being short, adds to the above problem by not being long or involved enough to properly explain everything and make the player feel somewhat okay and understanding of the overall plot and what is happening and why. The two combined CAN happen and it's not a contradiction. They probably just failed to specify correctly on what they meant by convoluted. I didn't read the review but if they said "The series is convoluted" and "the game's story is short" then they did just fine there. The series' story seems more convoluted and hard to follow when the latest entry's story is very short and doesn't provide enough answers or backstory.

That being said...fighting games are never very strong in the story department so to judge a fighting game series that's lasted for over fifteen years now based on story, is a dumb thing to do, especially when KoF has a stronger story than Marvel 3. But I don't think IGN overall monitors who is reviewing what. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. There is more than one reviewer at IGN and the person who reviewed KoF XIII is probably not the same person who did UMvC3. If he isn't the same person, they probably got someone who does not care much for fighters to review KoF XIII or someone who doesn't know anything about them. If it is the same person then he is just a hater and loves Capcom. But game reviewers are mostly full of crap these days and are mostly interested in western games and frat boy games like Call of Duty. EGM is still good thankfully.

I just don't understand how you dock it down twice for the same thing with such a contradiction. How can a story be short and convoluted at the same time?

K1LL1NGZ0NE

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 22, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
I think they're just nitpicking. I take this as good news as it seems they can't seem to find what to dock points on.
IGN guy 1: there like nothing wrong with the game except some small things. maybe ill give it an 8.5+
IGN guy 2: are you crazy! capcom could hear you!
Ono: what's this I hear...?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 22, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
I don't give two shits about what IGN has to say after the 3 they gave to God Hand (the best goddamn action game ever made).

Anyway, another solid score for XIII via the Japanese magazine Famitsu, it gave 8, 9, 8, 9 (total 34/40).