Author Topic: A quick question about using hitbox controllers in XIII.  (Read 2441 times)

Sir_Selah

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
A quick question about using hitbox controllers in XIII.
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
Hey everyone! Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.

For those who aren't in the know, a hitbox controller is a 'stickless stick' in which you basically have a joystick that has four buttons instead of a physical stick for directional movement.

My question is that in King of Fighters XIII if one was to hold both left and right at the same time, does the game allow you to block both ways? If that design flaw is in there it shouldn't matter because hitboxes are designed so that pressing both will cancel each other out and make such a thing impossible anyway, but it's easier for TOs if that ability isn't in the game in the first place.
PSN - Sir_Selah (KoF '95 and XIII).

Batman fights the Riddler while I play unfitting music:

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question about using hitbox controllers in XIII.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
Well, not sure if that actually works as most arcade machines aren't mapped like that to begin with, but I'm pretty sure you can't block both ways.

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
I tried with a keyboard, which i think it must be the same principle the hitbox use.
- You hold backward, then hold forward and the forward cancels the backward, making the character walk forward.
- Viceversa when you hold forward first.
- You press both directions at the same time and nothing happens to the character, which i guess it answers your doubts.

Sir_Selah

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:25:42 PM »
Excellent, thanks Delta!  :D

Glad to find that out before I rush out and spend 200 on such a thing ha ha.
PSN - Sir_Selah (KoF '95 and XIII).

Batman fights the Riddler while I play unfitting music:

rteruyas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
Hey Sir_Selah
What you mention is called SOCD (I believe it is simultaneous opposite cardinal direction) and it depends on the PBC that is being used in your controller. I know hitbox™ handles them accurately (they talked about it in srk), but if you use a different circuit, you might want to check it how it works exactly by going training and looking if you can block opposite directions at the same time

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 06:59:50 PM »
how are hitboxes anyway? i heard they are not that difficult to use except for jumping into combos.
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'