Author Topic: Inspirational KOF Player's Story From Chinatown Fair  (Read 6806 times)

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
Inspirational KOF Player's Story From Chinatown Fair
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
This is as short video about a guy who started playing KOF at Chinatown Fair, and one day met a Japanese player at CTF who was very good at KOF. Then the Japanese player began to teach him things about the game. Then he soon woke up and became better and overcame his Japanese Teacher.

The main reason i posted this video is for those New KOF players that are having a hard time getting into the game. Just to show it does not matter where / how good your opponent is keep playing them and adapt to them and they can be beatin.

He says " As being a American, Asian people are feared because there so much better, but in actuality thats not the truth cause if you practice and play them you"ll beat them eventually."

Just thought this could be Inspirational to others. :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:53:29 PM by biggdaddycane »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Inspirational KOF Player's Story From Chinatown Fair
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
I don't get it, I'm Asian and I'm not good at KOF.  Maybe coz I'm defective since I'm "Made in Hong Kong" lol.

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »
I don't get it, I'm Asian and I'm not good at KOF.  Maybe coz I'm defective since I'm "Made in Hong Kong" lol.
lmao,

But yea this is for those new people who are quick to say I cant play "X" Japanese or "X' Mexico player on GGPO because there to good. Then they get demoralized after being bodied by these players as they pick random select after every win they get on you lol, ive been there.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:38:35 PM »
that is some real truth anybody can beat anybody it took me so long 2 get good in XII and otha KOFs....... i thought i would never get to where im at now GOOD POST

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
*scratches head* Wait picking random after winning easily means you are a bully? Man didn't know I was such a jerk.

The greatest thing about KOF compared to any other fighting game is the ability to make your own style that is unique to anyone else's style. In doing so it opens up the way to learn the game. You are not pigeon holed into using general techniques that everyone and their mother sees on a daily basis and that usually will get you destroyed unless you practice/master them more then your opponent.

Once you get the general basics, it turns the game into who can formulate the best strategy rather then who practiced the most. Stories like this are very common in KOF.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:36:27 PM by Mr Bakaboy »
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:58:28 PM »
*scratches head* Wait picking random after winning easily means you are a bully?

Huh?.. I didn't say or mean that at all, Its just that some new players loss confidence when they see how good these players are with everyone in cast. As these great players pick random against these "X" New players main team as the new player still fail's to beat em. Some newcomers will lose confidence in beating them because of this...I've see it.

The greatest thing about KOF compared to any other fighting game is the ability to make your own style that is unique to anyone else's style. In doing so it opens up the way to learn the game. You are not pigeon holed into using general techniques that everyone and their mother sees on a daily basis and that usually will get you destroyed unless you practice/master them more then your opponent.

Once you get the general basics, it turns the game into who can formulate the best strategy rather then who practiced the most.

Damn right

Stories like this are very common in KOF.

Yes, and i'd post this for the newcomers for inspiration to up there game no matter what. 

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:34 AM »
It's cool. I found it more amusing then anything. Been playing KOF since 1995, so I've played my way through a lot of characters. I always want to give a person a chance to improve themselves when I play them. Whether it's picking characters I am not as good with, or handicapping myself (no supers, no corner trapping, sometimes, no fireballs, depends on what they might need me to let up on so they can improve) I just strive to have fun and both players to learn something from the experience.

The hardest part of being a fan of KOF is you don't have the crowds that SF or Tekken might draw in automatically. So, you really have to work harder to draw newer players in so get the new blood to stay.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 06:09:16 AM »
Ya know, there is another side to that story but I'd rather not get into it.

HINT: read the comments in the video
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:30:45 AM by Desmond Delaghetto »
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 06:57:36 AM »
Yeah, maybe better to leave those details aside.

I guess its better to focus on the fact that the principle of what's said is true.

There's always the potential in KOF to make your style/chrs work competitively by enjoying the game and persevering.

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »

Yea lol, I already thought before i posted it that you know some of the people in those arguments on the tube lol. However, as Bio said yea lets not let that overshadow the true meaning of the video.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »

wow

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »
Outside all the smack talk and the hoorah on the comments, I'm actually glad I saw this!!! This is the mindset that I have and though I don't consider myself great, it's something that allows me to push harder to play better and stronger than my opponents.

I've always had that "so what" mindset when it came to viewing stronger players from other countries. It's not me disrespecting them, because I respect all players (and all games). I just don't see why people should be looking up to someone just because they're strong. Don't try to play like Daigo, Fuudo, Iyo, Chibita, Kula, or even Justin Wong. Strive to become better than them.

I always tell cats that when people start fearing the person because they're a "big name" or because they're from some country, they have already lost the match. Also, when people start wanting to become like someone, they have already limited themselves and will never grow further. I always get mad watching streams when big name players pretty much win against someone who could've won, but they didn't because they got nervous about facing a top player. Sure, it's not all nervousness from that alone, but that in itself can be the main cause for the loss.

People have said that in KOF XIII tourneys in the future it would end up being Japan vs Mexico vs SoCal. Whatever with that!!! If the people worldwide are determined, then anything can happen. It doesn't matter where you're from, or how many strong players you may have. Everywhere in the US, I'm pretty sure there's at least 2-4 strong KOF players scattered in each state alone for people to get stronger from consistent play. I'ma tell you this, if I ever end up winning something major in XIII I'm not repping San Diego (no offense), I'm gonna be waving my Maryland flag, and rocking my O's hat, but I digress...

I don't know how old this vid is, but it should be put on mad rotation, especially considering the fact that new cats are interested in XIII, and with that, there's gonna be the stigma of "Oh it's a (insert any country but US) player, I'm gonna lose", or they're gonna come across something like it in a forum and it discourages them when they do face someone that those forums were talking about. I say "F--- ALL OF THAT!!!" and "Fight to get stronger". You don't always fight to win, and most people don't always see the gem found in losing some matches. I'm probably rambling, so I'm gonna end it here... Let's keep this discussion going though. I'm digging it like Smacks...

Again, I don't necessarily care about the story, per sé, it's just the main thing behind it that made me like it...

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:23:05 AM »
Tru dat! Everyone's got a chance to excel, when it comes down to it we're all just players that love the game. Get right up in there and represent yoself!

(now that I think about it, there should be more videos like that and it can be us-tube for KOF)

This has made me want to run over to the arcade today after work....XD
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:28:08 AM by BioBooster »