Author Topic: The Everything Mario Thread  (Read 20266 times)

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
The Everything Mario Thread
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
Today marks the NA release of Super Mario 3D Land. I thought I would take this as an
opportunity to make a topic dedicated to him alone.

Let's face it: without him, there would not be any of the video games we have today.
And for all that, we thank him by constantly ignoring him. Even within the community of
the fans of Mario games he isn't all that liked anymore. People are liking more than ever
characters like Luigi, Daisy, and for some reason I can't figure out, Waluigi.

So let's take a chance to talk about the legend that is Mr. Video Game.

My favorite Mario games (including spinoffs) are: Super Mario 64, Super Mario World,
Super Mario Bros. 3, Mario Party 3, Paper Mario, Mario Kart 64, and Mario & Luigi Superstar
Saga. I also main Mario in SSB64.

Super Mario 64 has a special place in my heart. It was the first game I ever owned. I
remember taking forever in getting the first star =P but I eventually figured it out.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
Re: The Everything Mario Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »
mario and peach=low tier

luigi and daisy= high tier

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
mario and peach=low tier

Take that shit somewhere else. This thread is to discuss and to show love to Mario.

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »
mario and peach=low tier

Take that shit somewhere else. This thread is to discuss and to show love to Mario.
Agreed.

Much like you marchefelix Mario 64 was a major influence on myself from a gaming perspective and I would say though that in my opinion the Mario Galaxy games have supplanted it as the best overall 3d Mario games around(unless 3d land says otherwise) as the level of creativity that is in each level amazes me as others before me on other sites is that there are features in it that you look at and say to yourself they could have made an entire game out of an idea that only gets used once or twice since there are just so many excellent ideas that come together to make something truely unique, special and to the point where no one has even really tried to emulate the feel of the galaxy games which in a way makes them even more special.

The original Paper Mario is actually the first JRPG I ever played and I can only wonder if I would such a fan of series like Shin Megami Tensei, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem and so many other JRPG and SRPG games if I hadn't tried Paper Mario.

Also I can imagine many people first got into fighting games because of Smash Brothers as I can think of a handful of people that I know who never played fighting games until they played Melee on the gamecube. As well as all the characters from games you never heard of before, especially in the case of someone like Marth as up to the release of Melee pretty much no one in the west knew anything about Fire Emblem and now he is one of the most recognized characters in Smash Bros.

In addition to this if you go back and look at all the spinoff games  that weren't just throw away cash grabs like so many other spinoffs, they actually carefully crafted games like Mario golf to be just as good if not better than say the HotShots golf games.

Finally I think the most telling thing about Mario games are that I can't think of a single person who has ever played a Mario game and hasn't found something that they like about it within the series and doesn't respect what Nintendo has accomplished throughout the years.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:54:13 AM »
my favorite mario game was 64 just because you had the ability to take Bowser's tail and fling him into bombs...

psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
mario and peach=low tier

is there some problem? i prefer using luigi over mario i still like mario games you people are so touchy

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 01:41:53 AM »
mario and peach=low tier

is there some problem? i prefer using luigi over mario i still like mario games you people are so touchy

While I can't speak for marchefelix, I would have to say that it can get very annoying whenever someone tries to start a topic and you basically just try and crack jokes or go off topic and that it really gets on peoples nerves(myself in particular). 
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:33:31 AM »
My favorite Mario game has always been SMB2 (US version). I don't think it gets enough respect, since it's not a "real" Mario game. But man, throwing vegetables around, throwing enemies around, and those POW blocks were all lots of fun. Great music too. Not as classic as the original, of course, but still great.

Let's face it: without him, there would not be any of the video games we have today.
Sorry, but what do you mean? Mario certainly revolutionized the platforming genre, and sold a lot of Nintendo consoles, but I don't see how he's responsible for ALL modern games.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
My favorite Mario game has always been SMB2 (US version). I don't think it gets enough respect, since it's not a "real" Mario game. But man, throwing vegetables around, throwing enemies around, and those POW blocks were all lots of fun. Great music too. Not as classic as the original, of course, but still great.

Sorry, but what do you mean? Mario certainly revolutionized the platforming genre, and sold a lot of Nintendo consoles, but I don't see how he's responsible for ALL modern games.
smb2 is my favorite one as well probably followed by smw and smb3

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »

OK, maybe I did exaggerate a bit. But do you actually think that if Super Mario Bros. had failed we would still have video games at all? They were dying out before this game came...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:37:47 PM by marchefelix »

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »
mario and peach=low tier

Agreed.

Much like you marchefelix Mario 64 was a major influence on myself from a gaming perspective and I would say though that in my opinion the Mario Galaxy games have supplanted it as the best overall 3d Mario games around(unless 3d land says otherwise) as the level of creativity that is in each level amazes me as others before me on other sites is that there are features in it that you look at and say to yourself they could have made an entire game out of an idea that only gets used once or twice since there are just so many excellent ideas that come together to make something truely unique, special and to the point where no one has even really tried to emulate the feel of the galaxy games which in a way makes them even more special.

The original Paper Mario is actually the first JRPG I ever played and I can only wonder if I would such a fan of series like Shin Megami Tensei, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem and so many other JRPG and SRPG games if I hadn't tried Paper Mario.

Also I can imagine many people first got into fighting games because of Smash Brothers as I can think of a handful of people that I know who never played fighting games until they played Melee on the gamecube. As well as all the characters from games you never heard of before, especially in the case of someone like Marth as up to the release of Melee pretty much no one in the west knew anything about Fire Emblem and now he is one of the most recognized characters in Smash Bros.

In addition to this if you go back and look at all the spinoff games  that weren't just throw away cash grabs like so many other spinoffs, they actually carefully crafted games like Mario golf to be just as good if not better than say the HotShots golf games.

Finally I think the most telling thing about Mario games are that I can't think of a single person who has ever played a Mario game and hasn't found something that they like about it within the series and doesn't respect what Nintendo has accomplished throughout the years.

I'm not sure if Paper Mario counts as an JRPG, but it's good to know that it got you into other RPGs.

Also, now that I think about it, Super Smash Bros. did get me more into fighting games. I played it for the first time in '98 and a year later, I tried KOF '99 and loved it!

As for the last part, all I have to say is: AMEN!

Also, am I the only one that think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga borrowed a bit from Garou? Maybe it was intentional or maybe it was unknowingly (probably the latter), but think about it: two brothers, one has the power of fire, the other the power of lightning? Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan? Then Mario and Luigi? =O

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
Can't go wrong with Mario. Unlike Sonic, Mario is actually playable in 3D, and Nintendo can still do a good job making a Mario game with 2D gameplay.

I just wish they would bring back more classic power-ups.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:26 PM »
I just found out about this:

NEW PETA GAME LAMPOONS SKIN-STEALING MARIO
Skinned Raccoon Dog Chases Down Tanooki Mario in Super Tanooki Skin 2D

Los Angeles — If PETA has its way, Mario has stolen his last tanuki skin. The mustachioed plumber is back to wearing tanuki fur ("tanuki" is the Japanese word for raccoon dogs), and now Tanooki is fighting back to reclaim what's his in Super Tanooki Skin 2D, a new side-scrolling game from PETA. In the game, which is the center of PETA's new "Mario Kills Tanooki" campaign, players direct a bloody, skinned raccoon dog as he chases a tanuki fur–suited Mario through a surreal fur farm where raccoon dogs are routinely skinned alive for their fur. Quick reflexes and jumping skills will allow Tanooki to capture Mario and reclaim his skin.

"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free."

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur. We created our game to help inform people that in real life, Mario would be wearing the skin of an animal who was beaten, strangled or electrocuted, and it wouldn't give him any special powers other than the power of self-deception.

On fur farms in China—the world's largest fur exporter—raccoon dogs are confined to row upon row of tiny wire cages that are exposed to the elements. Many of the animals go insane from the intensive confinement. A "Mario Kills Tanooki" video shows undercover video footage of raccoon dogs as workers drag them from cages and slam them repeatedly to the ground to kill them. Most of the animals don't die right away, and some survive for as long as 10 minutes after they are skinned. One investigator recorded a skinned raccoon dog on a heap of carcasses who had enough strength to lift his bloodied head and look, blinking, into the camera.

You have no idea how pissed I am about this...

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 11:31:48 PM »
Terrence Hills real name is Mario somethingorother if i'm not mistaken.

Also, new super mario bros for ds i fantastic. To me it feels just like everything great i can recall about nes/snes era games in one package.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 12:39:40 AM »
Mario Didn't saved per se the industry, it was nintendo as a whole who created a nice home system plus the whole arcades who made the era

Mario just was the frontman

Waifu Material