Author Topic: Off Topic thread:Gen 8 Edition  (Read 354131 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic thread:Proto hates everything Edition
« Reply #1245 on: May 02, 2012, 03:34:29 AM »
The sad part is your first paragraph is about as eloquent at speaking as you usually are.

Time to start the COD Cycle again, I'll get the bunker ready.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 02, 2012, 03:41:38 AM »
The sad part is your first paragraph is about as eloquent at speaking as you usually are.

Time to start the COD Cycle again, I'll get the bunker ready.
can you not be a bitch for 5 seconds?

anyway moving on im picking up halo on nov. 13th instead  yeah sure its not the best thing ever but i dont really feel like paying for the same regurgitated shit ever year. if i ever get it im buying it used

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 02, 2012, 05:13:29 AM »
Why do I find Proto's new avi to be cute?
Because everyone loves the sun bro?

Also, another year, another CoD I'm ignoring.

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »
Y'all hipsters bashing the best series evur.

But yah, i also hate cod, hoping the series to get dry sooner than later, like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 02, 2012, 06:06:55 AM »
Yeah...like COD dying would be anything significant.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 02, 2012, 06:47:13 AM »
Honestly, if it might give a chance for another genre to step up to the plate. I'm all for it. I've been tired of shooters dominating the last 10 years of gaming. I'd rather see platformers or beat 'em ups make a comeback.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1251 on: May 02, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »
beat'em ups have made a comeback.

It's called Dynasty Warriors lol.

And Diablo is a point n' click beat'em up.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 02, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »
lolno.  They'll just go to the next shooter.  Platformers don't look any more appetizing to people just because they lost a game to shoot people in.

Only way Platformers and Beat 'em ups come back is if Nintendo somehow dominates a Console War so thoroughly Microsoft and Sony bow out in shame and Nintendo is the only one in town.

And Dynasty Warriors hasn't been relevant since like...Dynasty Warriors 2.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 02, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
beat'em ups have made a comeback.

It's called Dynasty Warriors lol.

And Diablo is a point n' click beat'em up.
Except DW is a hack n' slash/button masher and Diablo 3 is officially Fisher Price Diablo now.

Beat 'em ups are like Final Fight, God Hand and Streets of Rage. I wish we'd get sequels for all them. Real talk.

Honestly though, I still think the only reason shooters are still top dog are the post-9/11 "AMERICA FUCK YEAH!"/Gun Wank mentality combined with the new brain dead shooter mechanics. I'm tired of this bullshit, especially when we're even doing reboots of games like Syndicate and X-COM as shooters. @_@

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 02, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »
Again, what does it matter if Shooters are top dog or not?  It barely affects what we play.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 02, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
Because then shooters will be niche and we'll actually get decent ones. Y'know stuff like Quake and Unreal Tournament 2k4.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:42 PM »
Because then shooters will be niche and we'll actually get decent ones. Y'know stuff like Quake and Unreal Tournament 2k4.

Except that those making Unreal and Quake...aren't Activision.  Thus it should have no effect on them.  If anything, COD going down would screw them as it would straight terrify anyone wanting to make a shooter again.

Quality isn't really as important as business success and unfortunately, in these days those two do not go hand in hand.  Even so, with COD out, it gives lesser companies some actual leeway in making the kind of shooters they want honestly.  As long as they don't put pressure on themselves to be the next big thing, they'll do just fine in the niche department with a focus on quality.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1257 on: May 02, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »
Diablo 3 is officially Fisher Price Diablo now.

What makes you say that?

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 03, 2012, 04:39:46 AM »
^^ The game is stupid easy now, most of your stats and attributes are automatically assigned for you, the game is bright and cheery, always online DRM, Real money auction house and still manages to look barely like an improvement over its predecessor, despite being in development for like 8 years. Fuck Blizzard, they're a bunch of lazy shits. In the span of its time in development, there's been games like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, The Witcher, Dragon Age, and etc. that look vastly better anyway. Can't wait to see them put Warcraft 4 in development for the next 10 years only to have it play exactly like 3 but with stupid changes and slighter better visuals. >_>

Except that those making Unreal and Quake...aren't Activision.  Thus it should have no effect on them.  If anything, COD going down would screw them as it would straight terrify anyone wanting to make a shooter again.

Quality isn't really as important as business success and unfortunately, in these days those two do not go hand in hand.  Even so, with COD out, it gives lesser companies some actual leeway in making the kind of shooters they want honestly.  As long as they don't put pressure on themselves to be the next big thing, they'll do just fine in the niche department with a focus on quality.

If shooters go dead, so do Activision. That's basically their last big franchise, besides Spider-man and that's been getting hit. Lately, they've done nothing but run every big franchise they've had into the ground. So, in actuality, quality does go in hand with success, because if not Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk would've survived regardless. I think the real issue is gaming journlolism and how fucking awful it is. But that's a rant for another day.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 03, 2012, 05:00:50 AM »
Except the difference with those two cases is that Guitar Hero actually did have quality, but essentially was usurped almost immediately by Rock Band which added more instruments and updated their song lists through DLC, rather than Activision doing Expansions of old.  For GH, it was simply a matter of not adapting fast enough along with Rhythm games just really being a fad if anything.

Tony Hawk, usurped by Skate, and the fact that...skating just got less and less popular as the years went on.  I mean, the most well known skaters outside of Hawk these days are Dyrdek, Sheckler, Margera and Koston and only one of them is due to their actual ability to skate (Koston if you haven't figured it out).  TH would've only went so long anyway, even without Activision running it into the ground or if it was the best skate simulator on the market.

Yeah, if shooters go dead, so does Activision.  But since COD is essentially carrying the torch, it will be ITS death that causes the genre to go.  Not because of the quality so much, but because COD has been such a surefire success, its death will scare all other companies from actually trying to make one themselves.  But by COD existing, quality of the games or not, it allows other companies to do what they want to do in their shooters without too much pressure in being the next big Blockbuster, unless you want to be stupid and try to call out COD on it, in which case you probably screwed yourself no matter the end result of your game.