Author Topic: KOF newbie!  (Read 2967 times)

haven9270

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
KOF newbie!
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
Hello!

haven9270 here.
Found Dream Cancel in my search for a KOF community, because the community is what makes a fighting game fun.

Never actually got into the KOF series mainly because nobody plays them here. Everyone's too busy with Third Strike so KOFXIII will be the first KOF I'm actually going to play and take seriously, partly because I'm a kid who grew up in the 90s but never actually had a chance to own any Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting games, but does recognize their historical significance. Enjoyed Guilty Gear for the short time I played it until the series got killed off, never got into Street Fighter, while I skipped BlazBlue mainly because of the character designs. About the only fighting games I really took seriously are Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur - 3D games sure, but hopefully KOFXIII will bring me back to both 2D and the 90s again.

In the meantime, I'll go mash buttons and win in Dead or Alive Dimensions while I wait for my pre-ordered copy of KOFXIII.

Glad to be here.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: KOF newbie!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
Welcome to DC!

Instead of mashing around in DOA, I'm sure you can find a way to play some KOF somehow before next week. :)
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
Welcome to DC :)

Yeah, like Desmond said, why mash around in something else just to pass time when you can be getting a start on learning that KOF?

Enjoyed Guilty Gear for the short time I played it until the series got killed off
Good games never die, especially when you can play them online (although online GG is pretty sketchy business for obvious reasons *laughs* )
Old man/bad player

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:09:32 AM »
Welcome to DC haven9270, I'm also from the 90s era of fighting games and call me biased but, there's nothing quite like a great 2D fighting game.  We'll see you online!

haven9270

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:43:45 AM »
Thanks guys.

But how can I practice when there's no KOFXIII demo of some sort for me to play?

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 04:25:12 AM »
Hello and welcome to Dream Cancel haven9270, it's a pleasure to meet you.
Thanks guys.

But how can I practice when there's no KOFXIII demo of some sort for me to play?

You could practice in XII to get a general feel for how those characters play and for the characters not in XII maybe a variation of 98 or 02.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »
welcome

K1LL1NGZ0NE

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »
Welcome. There are a lot of vets here so there will be plenty of people to help you with the game as I am also eager to learn myself. I also agree with you on Blazblue. Just can't get into those character designs.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
Welcome to the community.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

DR.Howard

• New Challenger
  • why am i so bad!?!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
im thinking about getting into DoA, hows dimensions?
ohh and welcome
Utah's Legendary Fighting Sprite!
Gtag: comingfat D

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 10:40:19 AM »
Hi there haven, welcome to DC!

If you want to get started in learning how to play XIII, you should try playing some 98 or 2k2UM. Hell even XI will give you some decent practice, as long as you remember to forget about XI's tag system when playing XIII.