Author Topic: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition  (Read 318973 times)

Gimnbo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition
« Reply #360 on: November 30, 2011, 03:13:58 AM »
Wait, when people are arguing about "NeoMax" combos, are they really talking about HD combos? Because learning the NeoMax would just be learning one more move wouldn't it?

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 30, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »
Wait, when people are arguing about "NeoMax" combos, are they really talking about HD combos? Because learning the NeoMax would just be learning one more move wouldn't it?

Well it's a couple fold.

One, most Neomaxes aren't exactly that great outside of HD mode.

Two, while yes, most NeoMax combos involve HD mode, they tend to, depending on the character, change up the combo you would initially have before hand.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

johrjives

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 30, 2011, 03:43:20 AM »
Perhaps its somewhat character dependent and personal preferance of meter usage imo. Whether you want to drive cancel or save up for HD/Neomax. Determine how the flow of the match is going...you might have to drive cancel to get the damage when you can, if you dont have full meter.

But you do want to be able to get the most damage out of a hit confirm and whether that combo involves a neomax or not, its in your best interest to learn it. Typically, I dont see alot of point characters doing neomax combos, but I would recommend learning them for your anchor at least, especially if thats your optimum combo.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:45:58 AM by johrjives »

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:35 AM »
Yes, it is important to take into consideration a player's preference in meter usage.

I must say, though, that I've seen a lot of people gain meter and not using it at all. They're hoarding it and don't put it to use. I think I'll start calling these people "Scrooges" and building up meter without using it "Scrooging". =P

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 30, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »
Just curious if anyone else is experiencing it. Is there an unusual amount of droppers on this game? I thought I was playing SVC again. One guy really befuddled me. He put on his message before the match starts "Don't hold back." Then drops when I have him down 2 characters.

Are the droppers getting away with not recording a loss, or are they in withdrawal from Capcom installing punishments for dropping?

Not really. I only drop when it's really, really laggy. And I usually drop at the character select screen and there's obvious lag.

I do see a shit ton of people playing runaway and spamming projectile. And it's not because of my Clark, they do that against any character I have.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 30, 2011, 07:07:33 AM »

I'm going to politely disagree here.  Yes, in the console the NeoMaxs have lower requirements and from producer Yamamoto-san himself, he wanted encourage NeoMaxes being used.  However, it's still up to your playstyle and character.  Remember, most characters don't use NeoMaxes outside of HD combos so if you don't normally do them, you probably won't in the console either.  For what it's worth, I tied 7th at Evo and I never used NeoMax combos.

I agree, I think it depends on largely who you use and how. But maybe six months down the road I'm wrong, Clark is low tier and the top tiers are the characters with the best Neomax combos? Who knows. But I think at this stage you can play to your preference. Clark and Billy for example do just as well without Neomax combos.

And what was up with the commentator for the levelup stream saying Ralf is low tier?  ;) I was like 'really? He's bad? Since when?' he's got a good overall zoning game, the explosion is a pretty good AA, he has an EX Punch that autoguards and is free setup for at least 400-500 damage and more if you want to spend more meter, and he has one of the best CD's of the game. I just mentioned this in the Clark thread but his Jumping CD has a HUGE hitbox, and he can cancel it into his Dive. His standing CD could be the absolute best in the game imho. Amazing reach, he's safe and can cancel into punches and he's still safe.

Side note: Anyone know when Mr. Karate and EX Kyo are out? Is it the same date as Flame Iori?
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 30, 2011, 07:10:04 AM »
i need to start back playing this again haven't really had much time due to the fact i have company over and my brother of them are usually high off there asses so i gotta watch after them and what not

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #367 on: November 30, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
I've been running into players online that get the SF4 Ultra mentality and love to throw out random Neo Maxes.

In one match, first round, I was using Andy vs Kyo, and I threw a EX fireball, didn't realize he had 3 stocks already and I ate a Neo Max lol. Full screen punish too. In that same match though, he got really antsy with Vice and just threw out her NeoMax for no reason, which I was waiting for, and killed her for it. I knew he was gonna get impatient and try to throw it out.

I rarely use Neo Maxes. I'd rather save the meter for EX, I can do just as much damage with a simple BnB without blowing all my meter on 1 move.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:12:05 AM by Running Wild »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 30, 2011, 08:07:20 AM »
Okay, I wouldn't consider the first example you mentioned random.  Free 50% damage for a punish isn't something to scoff at and it makes you respect the NeoMax.  And at least he did his straight raw.  He deserved eating it for Vice though.

The REALLY bad ones are those who activate HD Mode and just sit on it until they can get a random NeoMax for 2 bars.  Those are just shit.

And maybe your team doesn't need the NeoMaxes.  I know for damn sure with the way Trinity Geyser acts, we'll probably never see a competent Terry actually decide to use one outside of styling purposes.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 30, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
I've been running into players online that get the SF4 Ultra mentality and love to throw out a random Neo Max.

In one match, first round, I was using Andy vs Kyo, and I threw a EX fireball, didn't realize he had 3 stocks already and I ate a Neo Max lol. Full screen punish too. In that same match though, he got really antsy with Vice and just threw out her NeoMax for no reason, which I was waiting for, and killed her for it.

Lmao those Neomax's, I play too old school for XIII. Sometimes I forget neomax exist lol. I'm still trying to get use to the game. But yea you played it right, just be patient.

BTW its weird seeing people appeal to Vice alot online, was never like that back in the 2002 / 98 days. Her HD combos are somewhat simple to get used to though. Even people like Juicebox, and Sabin messing with her. Thats cool she need more love.

However, I got a strong feeling once Flame Iori gets released; online is gonna be flooded with him easily. As well as Nest Kyo. lol they were the stars back in the day because of there viscous rush down capabilities. There's people in the game that got that strong rush down feel but not like them two IMO. I cant wait for them.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #370 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »
Okay, I wouldn't consider the first example you mentioned random.

I'm more referring to what he did with Vice. Based on what I observed of him when he was Kyo, when he had the meter, he'd be real trigger happy with a Neo Max, and while I paid for it with Andy, lesson learned, I knew he would try to pull it again.

Although with the delay factored in, it could of been random for all I know lol. He could of input that NeoMax before I let my fireball loose. You never know when online play is involved. After that though, I knew he'd try to do it again with Vice, and in several more matches after he'd cut a Neo Max loose if he had the chance, expecting me to do something leaving me vulnerable.

I was mostly scratching my head at how he got 3 bars with Kyo so damn quickly in the first round lol.

But yeah, maybe some Neo Maxes have their uses for punishing shit or as some kind of reversal.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:13:47 AM by Running Wild »

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
i didnt play online yet but i hope droppers r not so much like in mvc3.
funny thing is after they drop they have even the brave to send u a message like if it was ur fault if they dropped (and with ur fault i dont mean connession stuffs !)

Ben Reed

• Mod Team
  • New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »
But yeah, maybe some Neo Maxes have their uses for punishing shit or as some kind of reversal.

Some NeoMAXes are actually very good as raw moves, despite their expense. Mai's NeoMAX is a good example IMO; it's very fast, punishes full screen, and is completely invincible once she's off the wall. If Mai is running away with meter for NeoMAX and the opponent chucks a full-screen fireball, you can easily react and teach them a very ugly lesson. It'll also beat a lot of stuff that might be used for stalling as the timer winds down, such as Athena Shining Crystal Bit (but not EX Shining Crystal Bit).

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 30, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
Let me guess, are playing on PSN? I hear there's lot of quitters there. I don't think the system to punish them is severe enough.

Nope Xbox live. I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if people weren't asking for a beatdown then dropping cause of it.

Not really. I only drop when it's really, really laggy. And I usually drop at the character select screen and there's obvious lag.

Guess it's me then. Might need to record matches and see why they have so many issues.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Ufgt

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 30, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »
I actually feel people don't use raw NeoMax enough. KOF is a pretty offense oriented game and you can really surprise people with raw NMs. I've landed Iori's NM a whole bunch since people are not watching my meter and it just catches them during sloppy play.