Author Topic: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition  (Read 322006 times)

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition
« Reply #705 on: December 23, 2011, 07:43:13 AM »
And when I see people doing that I yell at the screen and call them a woman.

It's true too.  ;)
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 23, 2011, 07:44:40 AM »
And when I see people doing that I yell at the screen and call them a woman.

It's true too.  ;)

Yeah well...at least I don't have to chase anyone down for 60 seconds with Clark.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 23, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
I'll be honest; I fucking hate zoning in fighters. And it's really weird to suddenly see it in KOF where it didn't really exist in 98/2000/02.

I'm strongly against runaway and almost never pick characters with projectiles, especially shoto.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 23, 2011, 07:51:14 AM »
I assume you'd like it better if no character had a single projectile.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 23, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »
You're right. If I were to make a fighter (A hybrid of 3rd Strike and Last Blade) I would not have any projectiles. I am dead serious.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 23, 2011, 08:03:30 AM »
And, real talk...I probably wouldn't buy it, and I don't even like zoners that much.  I mean, the closest I get to them is Rose in SF4 and Hawkeye and they're closer to anti-zoners than anything...

But seriously, use your order select more wisely and maybe Clark won't get cockblocked so much.  Either that or pick Kyo or Iori who don't believe in bad matchups.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 23, 2011, 08:12:40 AM »
And, real talk...I probably wouldn't buy it, and I don't even like zoners that much.  I mean, the closest I get to them is Rose in SF4 and Hawkeye and they're closer to anti-zoners than anything...

But seriously, use your order select more wisely and maybe Clark won't get cockblocked so much.  Either that or pick Kyo or Iori who don't believe in bad matchups.

Oh yeah, I tend to run Clark 2nd or 3rd. I eventually get in and win 9 times out of 10. I just like hate zoning in general ;).

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 23, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
And it's really weird to suddenly see it in KOF where it didn't really exist in 98/2000/02.

Did you play '02?

Psycho ball... PSYCHO BALL. PSYCHO BALL!

She was one of the top tier trinity.

And don't pretend like Heidern and Krauser don't exist either.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 23, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »
You make a good point, but Heidern was pretty bad in og 98. I think he was upper tier in the UM's, and that was because of his mixup, he wasn't the zoning master in those games I think. Krauser? Yeah, but his strength was his rushdown and how safe he was, not so much his fireball spam. Athena in 02? Definitely! Hated that bitch.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #714 on: December 23, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
Both Heidern and Krauser could do unblockable fireballs in 98/UM. Krauser was just crazy scary, but I believe he got nerfed in Final Edition. I wish they'd release that on PSN or something.

I don't think zoning is a big deal in KOF, you have so many mobility options and ways around fireballs compared to Street Fighter.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:37:32 AM by Running Wild »

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 23, 2011, 09:01:36 AM »
Zoning is necessary in KOF. Without it all people would do is wait for blah person to come at them and counter all day. Zoning is punishment for turtles. That being said zoners are the worst lag offenders out there. If you know throwing a fireball all day w/o lag would get you killed why spam? You learn nothing 'cept being a lag fighter. On a great or offline connection KOF works perfectly. Zoners have to use intelligence and it's a fun mental game.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #716 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
It's necessary, but it's not a dominant strategy. Fireballs in KOF generally have more recovery than fireballs in say, Street Fighter. If you jump over a fireball you can punish the opponent that threw it easily, not the other way around. Then a number of characters have moves that can punish fireballs completely or have projectile invincibility, guard point, etc. Some can often punish from a long distance as well.

Just one more thing I like about SNK games over most other fighting games. I much prefer fighters where being in your opponents face is where you want to be.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:31:36 AM by Running Wild »

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 23, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Yeah that's what I've always loved about the series. It's a really level playing field for non fireballers. Heh, occaisionally for most chrs in sf, not having a fireball meant not having pants. It's def a bit different now in the sfIV's, but still feel it. 

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 23, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
It's necessary, but it's not a dominant strategy. Fireballs in KOF generally have more recovery than fireballs in say, Street Fighter. If you jump over a fireball you can punish the opponent that threw it easily, not the other way around. Then a number of characters have moves that can punish fireballs completely or have projectile invincibility, guard point, etc. Some can often punish from a long distance as well.

Just one more thing I like about SNK games over most other fighting games. I much prefer fighters where being in your opponents face is where you want to be.

And that's why I love KOF. For me fireballs are used to get turtles to move or make an opponent change their position to a more advantageous one for me (or to put it another way to get out of their comfort zone). The max # of fireballs you can really throw at once is 2 and against someone who knows their way around that can be a stretch. Compared to SF fireballs are simply another tool to work with rather then the dominant strategy like you said.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 23, 2011, 04:21:50 PM »
Sorry, LC, but I wouldn't play a fighter without fireballs. I love the ridiculous nature of projectiles. I'm now running a team of Joe/King/Kyo. Once EX Kyo is on PSN, I'll probable add him instead of normal Kyo. I prefer rushdown but against Clark and good Raidens, I'm running. I had King throw a Raiden last night and it was hysterical. And then I was back to jumping and throwing out Venom Strikes. It's all about a check in the win column.