Author Topic: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition  (Read 319004 times)

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition
« Reply #780 on: December 29, 2011, 05:42:50 AM »
I don't know. I think if you find a really good connection you're going to encounter weird shit, but you can still learn matchups. You just can't take it too seriously. So online still serves a purpose. Just sucks we can't play the Mexican and Brazillians to level up.

I'm not trying to be an apologist over the netcode, but overall I'm kinda' meh about it.

This isn't like 3SOE where the best netcode out there is horribly misused and we have something that really isn't playable even if the guy is in the same state.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 29, 2011, 05:44:40 AM »
I'm not saying it doesn't serve a purpose, I'm saying the netcode patch won't change anything from what we already have...which is not good.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Tanner

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 29, 2011, 06:00:20 AM »
The problem with playing online (especially with a game that lags this bad) is that you are almost playing a completely different game.  You see a lot of random shit that just doesn't work offline at all and players learn to use the lag to their advantage where as using these lag tactics offline would get them murdered by a half decent player.  I'm just lucky to have a bunch of friends that are all really good at fighting games that live locally. 

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 29, 2011, 06:45:54 AM »
Best thing to do is never play those fuckers ever again. You can find quite a few people that respect the rules of the game and want to get better.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 29, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
The problem w/ lag tactics is many don't even know they are using lag tactics, or are too frustrated at the time to care.  I've played highly respected players on xbox180 back in the day who did rushdowns when clearly the lag gave a tactical advantage to the person who is on the offensive. Players who are zoners in SF try to play KOF and realize the only thing they have any luck with is spamming fireballs. They don't play offline enough to know this is lag tactics so they think they are just winning.

The list goes on and on. This is one of the reasons why I tend to collect fighters I want to play with or players with a great connection. I've been online playing since around 2003 and it's the same gripes over and over again.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 29, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
Heh played a dude and won, who does he pick in the next match? Robert, Athena and Kensou. What's the first thing he does when the round starts? Back dash into the corner and throw fireballs.

Luckily there was little lag (even though it was a 2 bar connection), which resulted in an ocv in my favour, but yeah, kicked him from the room right after.

Still, even with the BS here and there I am still happy we at least have this netcode. Have played well over a thousand matches online (can't say for sure since the game glitched and my stats got reset a few times) and will definitely continue on.

Even if the netcode isn't amazing I still feel like I'm learning the game and consider if what I am doing would be viable off line or not while playing. And I've pretty much stopped using fireball dependant characters, even though I have confidence in my fireball whoring skills I don't know if my opponent is falling to my skill or the lag.

robisntdrunk

• New Challenger
  • The King of fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 29, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »
Fireball spamming is a legit strategy online and offline, you just have to do it right.
I play fighting games much more than I train in real life, yet i'm still a better fighter in real life, guess I can't complain though.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
Has someone fought a balabalatau online? His Raiden, Athena and Clark are really good. Managed to give him a fight until the last character, but damn, he was hard. I bet if we were playing offline he would beat be with only 1 character.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
KOF XIII Vice DOUBLE HD 100%

I just...I can't even...how far can we push the game past this?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 30, 2011, 12:42:17 AM »
Oh, and sorry for the double post, but it's been announced that Tuesday we'll find out what Games will be at Evolution 2012.  Time for some finger crossing.

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 30, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »
That's awesome. I think KOF is practically a lock for this year (knocks on wood like a woodpecker on speed). There is definitely tons of interest out there for this game. I went to a local tournament a few weeks ago and there were more KOFXIII participants than in BB and MK combined.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 30, 2011, 02:19:10 AM »
Fireball spamming is a legit strategy online and offline, you just have to do it right.

Fireball Zoning offline? Yes. Fireball Spamming.(a la throw fireballs as fast as you can) offline? No. Closest you can get is Ash and even then you can close distance pretty fast and work around the flip kick. KOF really punishes fireball spamming on a great connection or offline. That being said fireball zoning is a fun thing to work with on KOF cause you have to think about the concequences in throwing out a fireball. The lack of safety in the fireball maes it more exciting to use it rather then run away and spam being a viable option.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

robisntdrunk

• New Challenger
  • The King of fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 30, 2011, 03:08:23 AM »

Fireball Zoning offline? Yes. Fireball Spamming.(a la throw fireballs as fast as you can) offline? No. Closest you can get is Ash and even then you can close distance pretty fast and work around the flip kick. KOF really punishes fireball spamming on a great connection or offline. That being said fireball zoning is a fun thing to work with on KOF cause you have to think about the concequences in throwing out a fireball. The lack of safety in the fireball maes it more exciting to use it rather then run away and spam being a viable option.

Zoning and spamming are the same thing in my book, "zoning" just meaning that your doing it right.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:09:54 AM by robisntdrunk »
I play fighting games much more than I train in real life, yet i'm still a better fighter in real life, guess I can't complain though.

Gimnbo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 30, 2011, 09:11:15 AM »
If you're "doing it right" you're probably not unleashing the incessant barrage most people think of when they think "spam," since that stuff don't work in KOF.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 30, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »
I spam fireballs with King. =)