Author Topic: Netcode Lag/Delay Test Reports  (Read 87089 times)

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
Re: Netcode Lag/Delay Test Reports
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 08:00:59 AM »
System PS3
Cable internet: 5 MBS down, 250 upload (could be better I know)
East Coast (Upstate NY)

Gonna' hop on in a few minutes. I haven't turned on my PS3 in almost a month so I expect a lot of updating.

My user name is Alex3rdStrike on PSN in case you want to get a few matches in.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
Should hopefully get this tomorrow.

After hearing people bitching about the lag i have a question for anybody to answer.
I was watching sabins play and he said online on 3 bars still sucks, ok. But when he's playing on line you can here his stick going so you can read the delay right, ok thats fine. My question is that when he goes into offline practise mode with vice for example, why does he still have delay in the offline which resembles the online, offline is slightly better. Go take alook for yourself.

My personal answer is that kof's moves and movement have always been not as responsive as capcoms games, thats just the way snk builds there games, you will hardly notice, but thats another reason why people find kof hard to get into.

Also you would think player matches would run better too, which he does try in the end.

Guess i'll find out soon enough.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »
It's probably best to keep www.speedtest.net in mind for checking your internet connection. Checking mine here, it's at best this:

6.59Mb/s download
0.71Mb/s upload
Ping 37
350 ml from Tokyo
D+ standards in Japan

Will try to get mine upgraded, maybe do a before/after test.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »
My question is that when he goes into offline practise mode with vice for example, why does he still have delay in the offline which resembles the online, offline is slightly better. Go take alook for yourself.

My personal answer is that kof's moves and movement have always been not as responsive as capcoms games, thats just the way snk builds there games, you will hardly notice, but thats another reason why people find kof hard to get into.
On a related note to this, y'all ARE aware that the game was designed with a slight bit of latency, right?  As in, arcade version feels a little laggy compared to 2002.  If that's all you're feeling, it's part of the game, not bad netcode.
Old man/bad player

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
  • I am not arrogant, I just have high standards.
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »
I talked with a friend.He has the 360 version and a cable connexion and he is not a brainless fanboy.The netcode is bad period.NOT bad as in XII but bellow ssf4 ...there is a lot of room for improvement.If you like 3 to 5 max combos and lag enjoy it... but stop defending a bad netcode.Personally i hope playmore will patch it good this time so it will be at least sf4 standards.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
Just stating the truth about kof games, its true, moves dont come out as fast, whilst games like blazblue and sf, the moves come out faster.

Like i said we'll find the truth soon enough ourselves.

Is that correct about what omegaryuji says, i wouldn't know i never played it?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
In the arcade version, there were settings to remove lag from inputs to compensate for the type of monitor used in the cabinet. The idea was to create a standardized experience regardless of the hardware in use.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
I talked with a friend.He has the 360 version and a cable connexion and he is not a brainless fanboy.The netcode is bad period.NOT bad as in XII but bellow ssf4 ...there is a lot of room for improvement.If you like 3 to 5 max combos and lag enjoy it... but stop defending a bad netcode.Personally i hope playmore will patch it good this time so it will be at least sf4 standards.

I ate Andy's sC, f+A, HCF+K (break), QCF+P, QCF+P, DP from a 2 bar game. That's on day one of the game and the guy wasn't even that good overall.

No need to overdramatize things. 2 bars is bearable (suprisingly playable actually, often times) and 3 bars is very solid. 4 bars must be really good (haven't had a chance to try one yet) going by how good 3 is.

I put about 5 hours worth of play in yesterday, most of it was spent in online matches. Playing the PS3 version with a wired DSL connection. I didn't talk with a friend.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:06:37 PM by Diavle »

affinity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
my first match online was 4 bars with someone. 

Silky smooth! :)  (And I won w/ Leona, Mai, Athena team)   

thec0re3

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
    • Fighting Games Online
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
My question is that when he goes into offline practise mode with vice for example, why does he still have delay in the offline which resembles the online, offline is slightly better. Go take alook for yourself.

On a related note to this, y'all ARE aware that the game was designed with a slight bit of latency, right?  As in, arcade version feels a little laggy compared to 2002.  If that's all you're feeling, it's part of the game, not bad netcode.

I noticed that too I wonder why.

I'm on xbox 360

I've only been able to get 2 bars. I've connected to someone who was just about 100-150 miles outside of where I live and still the same. The matches definitely feel better than KOF2002UM.   I did a wired connection it was from a router to a hub connection. I don't have a cord long enough to reach directly to my xbox360 otherwise I would do that to make sure. I originally have it hooked up to a wireless client bridge and they pretty much work the same so I don't know.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
In the arcade version, there were settings to remove lag from inputs to compensate for the type of monitor used in the cabinet. The idea was to create a standardized experience regardless of the hardware in use.
Exactly.  Game was designed with something like 3 frames of latency on purpose.
Old man/bad player

Sabin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »

I ate Andy's sC, f+A, HCF+K (break), QCF+P, QCF+P, DP from a 2 bar game. That's on day one of the game and the guy wasn't even that good overall.

No need to overdramatize things. 2 bars is bearable (suprisingly playable actually, often times) and 3 bars is very solid. 4 bars must be really good (haven't had a chance to try one yet) going by how good 3 is.

I put about 5 hours worth of play in yesterday, most of it was spent in online matches. Playing the PS3 version with a wired DSL connection. I didn't talk with a friend.

First i wanna say wassup to Dreamcancel, this is my first post here. shoutouts to the admin as i certainly know a few of them irl. thx for watchin the stream.

i gotta say dude reading your post...i gotta say no, just no man. if people post thinks like that, SNKP/atlus will think they have good netcode when its really, really not the case. Plus you mentioned you are playing on PS3/DSL..that's already problems right there in the bag so I'm assuming you are not familiar with how input delay works. I most likely have a better connection than you by a factor of 10x over, and its still not acceptable for matches outside of 4 bar. I know I'm new to the game, but im very lag sensitive, and can tell input delay right away. practiced in training mode for hours to get used to the feel of the game offline before i jumped in and saw how it was.

to put it into perspective, my connect is good enough that i can stream and it will not affect the quality of netplay at all due to good ping times and symmetrical upstream.

It's not overdramatized dude, if kof13 doesnt get a patch i cant really see ppl playin on it. its not even sf4 quality. The only good connections I had were with ShinOni (another FiOS user, so fiber optic x fiber optic,) wolfkrone (recently got the best internet possible in his area, NY to detroit, and a few other 4 bar connecitons randomly in ranked. 3 bar is shit most of the time, i have gotten a few playable 3 bar connections but its very rare. you can see it in my stream archive, i have extreme difficulty quickrising on 3bars and the delay is inconsistent (due to netcode being input delay not GGPO rollback based.) i know im not 100% familiar with quickrise timing since im new, but ive played older kof's plenty, so im pretty sure i know how to quickrise. lol on 4 bar with shinoni it worked fine.

given the fact that my connection is WAY above average in the US, its def going to be worse experience for most people when they get their hands on it.

to shinfist: the stream is not displaying the game at a perfect framerate. It's on 30fps right now and 13 is a 60fps game right? so that might explain the issue of lag even if offline mode while watching me play. of course its not lagging for me offline though but it def might appear that way to you on the stream.

anyway wassup peeps

Spooty Whiteboy

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »

I like the KoF series, but I'm not a fanboy.  I mean, I just joined this site yesterday.

That doesn't change the fact that I have had good experiences with online 3-bars.  I have performed Kyo's corner orochinagi juggles and I can link Mature's qcb+D to standing C.

It is about SF4 quality.  It perplexes me that people are having such bad experiences.  Is it perfect?  No, it could definitely use some tuning, but it isn't shit either.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:40:04 PM by Spooty Whiteboy »

Sabin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »
multiple people who have had fiber optics like myself (i personally have a 43mbit/37mbit upload connection, 5ms to my local test server) have said the same thing, extremely hard to find excellent games on their setup. Zerp000 uploaded a video a few days before release showing a test on SRK. ShinOni (who also has fiber optics, in MD) saying the same thing as well. he could not get smooth games either except for a few people. when we actually connected, input delay was great. but its fiber/fiber which is not typical for most of the US.

if you're somewhere on the east coast, id love to test it with you personally. ill test it again but i played for 12 hours and came back with a sour taste in my mouth.

EDIT: Was all done on XBOX. Like I said the great connections I had NY to MD on Fiber to Fiber - NY to Detroit when I played Krone was great too. I'm not sure what his internet package is but he just upgraded to the best in his area.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:53:51 PM by Sabin »

Spooty Whiteboy

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
multiple people who have had fiber optics like myself (i personally have a 43mbit/37mbit upload connection, 5ms to my local test server) have said the same thing, extremely hard to find excellent games on their setup. Zerp000 uploaded a video a few days before release showing a test on SRK. ShinOni (who also has fiber optics, in MD) saying the same thing as well. he could not get smooth games either except for a few people. when we actually connected, input delay was great. but its fiber/fiber which is not typical for most of the US.

if you're somewhere on the east coast, id love to test it with you personally. ill test it again but i played for 12 hours and came back with a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm in NC, so I am on the East Coast.  I can test with you if you play on 360, but it would have to wait until next week (holidays and such).

I don't have Fiber Optics, I have slightly above average internet.  And it might just be that I'm ok playing with a little more input lag than you.  Or maybe I'm just not that great at the game yet, so I'm ok with dropping combos, because I figure it is my fault and not the game's fault.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:54:28 PM by Spooty Whiteboy »