Author Topic: kof motions, transitioning from streetfighter / other fighting games, best stick  (Read 2332 times)

ForTheViolence

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
I'm new to the King of Fighters, andf well snk fighters in general.. I come from a street Fighter / capcom fighting games backround. I the game I'm most skilled at is Street Fighter 3 3rd strike. I also play cvs2 so im somewhat familiar with the snow cast but I never picked them I'm tournaments because I could never get used to the motions especially going neutral on the stick so often. Is there a shortcut for this or any specific way that could improve my percentage of successful execution? My largest problem is canceling command normals in quarter circle + half circle motions because its too many motions and so little hitstun. Also im playing on a seimitsu ls32 but have a spare sanwa jlf. Which sticks throw distance would be most appropriate for kof?

XBLA: Krown Clown

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
I don't think the stick is a big problem because I can do pretty well using a raggedy stick that's been mickey-moused together. If you're having a hard time with moves like qcf, hcb + [button], you can use the shortcuts. It'll be a little easier, but it's still gonna be a pain.

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=168.msg2359#msg2359

This post lists all the shortcuts that's known so far. Aside from that, it's a matter of practice! It's not unattainable if you put in the hardwork. As some have mentioned, the game is a bit more stick heavy where other games are more button press oriented. However, a bit of practice with the stick will go a long way. Break down basic combos into pieces or practice buffering. Buffering will be your friend a lot of the time because the cancel window for some moves is much earlier than people give it flak for. You actually can supercancel pretty early into a moves animation and some moves have multiple parts where confirming a hit is possible (Though probably not the best idea).

In any case, like I said, just keep at it and never give up!

ForTheViolence

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Thanks for being helpful and not trolling me like people on srk do! I've definitely bookedmarked that thread.

XBLA: Krown Clown

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
Just a note about qcf,hcb (and qcb,hcf): you don't need to pass through neutral.  It's one smooth back-and-forth motion, like d/df/f/df/d/db/b.  Same number of inputs as qcfx2, and I think it'd actually be slightly faster since you don't need to go back through neutral.

Of course, shortcutting with qcf,df,b is faster.
Old man/bad player