Author Topic: Damage Scaling in KOF 13, and a problem  (Read 2275 times)

nax

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Damage Scaling in KOF 13, and a problem
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »
I'd first like to thank Laban` from #SNKPlaymore for helping to record this.

KOF XIII Damage Scaling Bug

As you can see here, the exact same combo is performed twice.  The difference, however, is that both combos have different damages.  Before I explain whats going on, I don't want people to freak out about this yet.  Chin has 5 drinks on just to show a bigger difference in the number and performing this isn't exactly viable as adding to it will incur damage scaling and that type of damage won't happen.

So what's going on is that in the second recording, chin uses his neomax, and as soon as he can activated his EX DM which begins dealing damage precisely following the final damage of the neomax.  This gives some insight into damage scaling.  Now I'm not going to pretend to be some expert on code I've never seen, but due to an issue that has been brought to my attention with Kensou incuring damage scaling outside of a combo, there seems to be two "rules" regarding damage scaling:

1)  Canceling via HD seems to directly incur damage scaling (This may be iffy.  There's been issues that seem to back this up, but then some other instances that make it seem unlikely)
2)  If there is no canceling, then there is a set delay between two different instances of damage

An example of #2 was in the arcade 1.1, you were able to cancel for example close ;c into kensou's punch DM.  If you purposefully delayed the punch DM to come out without it combo'ing, but quick enough that the close c was canceled into the DM, then damage scaling occured as if it was a full combo.  (Thank you Parapets)

So, anything that falls under either of those 2 rules incurs damage scaling.

This of course is all theory since I'm going off this (rather odd) instance of chin breaking damage scaling, but hopefully if any other instances like this exist, they can be found and reported to snkplaymore or atlus soon. That is my understanding of how damage scaling works and a problem with the way it works.  This does not seem to be a bug so much as an oversight.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Damage Scaling in KOF 13, and a problem
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
2)  If there is no canceling, then there is a set delay between two different instances of damage
This.
If it's a bug, i think it's the DM screen freeze which starts while the previous hit is still on an hitstun frame and then keep the damage scaling of the previous hit. Change hit will create more bugs i guess.

But it's occuring often, by example if you do d.B,d.B,s.B,ff.A,qcb hcf.B with Kim and you're a bit too lazy the DM is not comboing but the damage is scaling down (187 instead of 220).

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:19:05 PM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

nax

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Damage Scaling in KOF 13, and a problem
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
well like i said i don't think its a "bug" so much as a system that's actually working correctly.  but it seems that snk didn't realize it could happen with certain situations.  so its really more of an oversight than a bug.

my deal is though im just hoping there's no other really obvious usages to this issue that might be more abuseable.

if not, this information on damage scaling may help people design more combo efficient combos by attempting to try to make it so that you hit quicker after another hit and using the least hd cancels as you can.