Author Topic: Duo Lon (Console)  (Read 71116 times)

Jon Slayton

• New Challenger
  • Duo Jon
    • View Profile
Re: Duo Lon (Console)
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
Came up with this today, not sure if it's the most damage effecient for what it is but it looks cool and it's one of the few ways I know to juggle into level 1 super:

(corner only)
cl.C Rekkas x3 [DC] EX Rekkas x2 qcb+A Rekkas x3 (2nd hit does not juggle) qcf+b qcbhcf+AC
2 meters 1 drive

Also, on another topic, does Duo Lon have any good way of dealing with Takuma's j.CD? That move just seems to bully any sort of anti air I can throw out there. Having a lot of trouble keeping a good Takuma off of me with Duo.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »
Came up with this today, not sure if it's the most damage effecient for what it is but it looks cool and it's one of the few ways I know to juggle into level 1 super:

(corner only)
cl.C Rekkas x3 [DC] EX Rekkas x2 qcb+A Rekkas x3 (2nd hit does not juggle) qcf+b qcbhcf+AC
2 meters 1 drive

The combo you listed uses 3 meters 1 drive.  You also listed the super being his AC version which works, but of course that's his level 2 not his level 1.  I couldn't get his level 1 to connect without [SC]ing.

Also, on another topic, does Duo Lon have any good way of dealing with Takuma's j.CD? That move just seems to bully any sort of anti air I can throw out there. Having a lot of trouble keeping a good Takuma off of me with Duo.

In general, Duo Lon's weakness is his anti air.  Besides from some well spaced jump-back air.f+As/air.f+Bs or some risky d.Bs against some sloppy j.CDs, you just have to rely on some good pre-emptive teleports. 

BLACK STAR

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 05:50:28 AM »
I'm having real problems trying to do f+B-->hcb,qcf+P/PP! 

Is there a shortcut to this or something?  I can't figure it out, and this will put my Duo Lon progress to a grinding halt.

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 06:37:20 AM »

Is there a shortcut to this or something?  I can't figure it out, and this will put my Duo Lon progress to a grinding halt.

Should be qcb,hcf+A/AC for the super. Don't worry about this too much. Supercanceling off of the f+B isn't that important in Duo Lon's overall gameplay.

Jon Slayton

• New Challenger
  • Duo Jon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 06:54:08 AM »

(corner only)
2 meters 1 drive

The combo you listed uses 3 meters 1 drive.  You also listed the super being his AC version which works, but of course that's his level 2 not his level 1.  I couldn't get his level 1 to connect without [SC]ing.

In general, Duo Lon's weakness is his anti air.  Besides from some well spaced jump-back air.f+As/air.f+Bs or some risky d.Bs against some sloppy j.CDs, you just have to rely on some good pre-emptive teleports. 

My bad on to A+C on the super, been playing too much marvel. Basically you want to hit them with that last hit of the rekka pretty high up and immediately dash, then level 1 super. It definitely works.

As far as preemptive teleporting to beat j.CD, it's practically all this Takuma does. I wish there was something more threatening than a movement option to stop it but I guess I just have to guess and beat him to the punch. If that's the case though, that matchup is terrible.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »
My bad on to A+C on the super, been playing too much marvel. Basically you want to hit them with that last hit of the rekka pretty high up and immediately dash, then level 1 super. It definitely works.

Level 1 super is qcb~hcf+P (A/C).  Level 2 super is qcb~hcf+AC (or PP if you will).  

Anyways, I was unaware that you can do the level 1 super in time, cool.  

However the best 2 stock 1 drive combo I'm aware of is this and it works anywhere but timing is tighter midscreen:

s.D, f AC, s.D, f A, Ex Rekkas x2, qcb A, s.D f.A, Rekkas x2, [DC] f.A, Rekkas x3, qcf B, s.C
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:25:54 PM by Kane317 »

BLACK STAR

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »

Should be qcb,hcf+A/AC for the super. Don't worry about this too much. Supercanceling off of the f+B isn't that important in Duo Lon's overall gameplay.

Actually, I'm a complete idiot.  My apologies.  I did the complete wrong notation.  (obviously still new with Duo Lon)

I meant to say f+A-->super.  THAT's the notation giving me problems, and help with that will be greatly appreciated.

Again, my apologies

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
However the best 2 stock 1 drive combo I'm aware of is this and it works anywhere but timing is tighter midscreen:

s.D, f AC, s.D, f A, Ex Rekkas x2, qcb A, s.D f.A, Rekkas x2, [DC] Rekkas x3, qcf B, s.C

How are you drive canceling regular rekkas into regular rekkas in the latter half of the combo? My guess is that those are supposed to be EX rekkas, which would actually make this a 3 stock/1drive combo due to the f+AC. If that's the case, why don't you just do a qcb+A after the EX rekkas again since it's free anyway? That's only if my assumption is correct though.

Also, decent Duo Lon basics tutorial, though I wish he explained more options regarding the rekkas reset. I don't really like the "double teleport > c.A" because the c.A can be blocked standing. His setups never force the opponent to block low, just a whichway (50/50).

KOFXIII - basic Duolon Guide

I've been wanting to make a video going over the rekkas reset mixups for a while now, but I don't have a working capture setup at the moment. Kane, would you be able to put something together like that?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:59:22 PM by FataCon »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
I still don't have a capture setup yet, I came close in getting one a couple weeks ago but since then I got wrapped up in moving;  I'll look around again.

I fixed my typo in the combo above.  I realized I haven't posted some of the combos I've been working on and I'll post it later today since it's pretty relevant.  Once again, all his [DC] combos give roughly 50 damage more which isn't worth a drive (maybe a stock).

The only redeeming factor is that [DC] into f AC (easier to followup but less damage) allows ample hit confirm time especially if you're starting the combo with rekkas and not s.D, f A or d.B x2, d.A...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:34:38 PM by Kane317 »

Killey

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 11:58:03 PM »
Has anyone figured out some mix-ups off of his st.A / st.D post rekka? All have are incredibly obvious left/rights and the hop j.B, f+B (which only works on standing). st.D xx qcb+A sets up more pressure, but can't be used as tool to open up the opponent in and of itself.

This has been bothering me with Duo Lon since console release. The console changes removed fuzzy guard so his j.B, f+B post reset hit no longer works, on top of other cross up setups he had. As you said, the mix up options you get now are too obvious, and the others that set up pressure are mediocre. On top of that, as the above tutorial video demonstrated, there are multiple escape options to his mix-ups, which means you have to make good reads to punish the escapes.

I have a few mix up options that are screen specific and require bar and/or drive, which sacrifices damage to create an opening. It's a risk/reward situation and even if I land the subsequent mix up, I don't feel the use of meter/drive was worth it. Overall, it seems like a lot of effort for low damage output, when some other characters can score game over damage from a stray hit that's not hard to setup.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:07:20 AM by Killey »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »
Has anyone figured out some mix-ups off of his st.A / st.D post rekka? All have are incredibly obvious left/rights and the hop j.B, f+B (which only works on standing). st.D xx qcb+A sets up more pressure, but can't be used as tool to open up the opponent in and of itself.

This has been bothering me with Duo Lon since console release. The console changes removed fuzzy guard so his j.B, f+B post reset hit no longer works, on top of other cross up setups he had. As you said, the mix up options you get now are too obvious, and the others that set up pressure are mediocre. On top of that, as the above tutorial video demonstrated, there are multiple escape options to his mix-ups, which means you have to make good reads to punish the escapes.

I have a few mix up options that are screen specific and require bar and/or drive, which sacrifices damage to create an opening. It's a risk/reward situation and even if I land the subsequent mix up, I don't feel the use of meter/drive was worth it. Overall, it seems like a lot of effort for low damage output, when some other characters can score game over damage from a stray hit that's not hard to setup.

Yes this is indeed something that has been bothering me as well for quite some time 1) the lost of his j.B, air f.B ambiguous hit and 2) his setup to Crossup j.D after qcf x3,[DC] f BD, hyper hop C.  

Dune has talked about those pointers several times on his elive interviews and he points out how the "system changes" has severely hindered his gameplay.  It's kinda sad, Duo Lon was like Japan's best kept secret for arcade edition and when No.17 came to visit for Evo'11 he was saying how he felt that Tenka and Infinity, both Duo Lon users, were the best in the arcade at that moment.

---
UPDATE: Been meaning to post this for some time, I dunno why I never got around doing so.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:10:42 AM by Kane317 »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
I meant to say f+A-->super.  THAT's the notation giving me problems, and help with that will be greatly appreciated.
Again, my apologies

There's no trick doing that link, f+A into super, you just complete the motion when you see him get hit by the f+A.  It's a lot easier when you're far away and do f+A into Super than when you're close, that's the main reason why it throws off a lot of people because of the variability of the timing of the move and that's of course due to the physical nature of the extending move itself.

Jon Slayton

• New Challenger
  • Duo Jon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
Duo Lon was nerfed to console release? That's unfortunate really. I was thinking j.B j.f+b would be really good for a fuzzy guard, but I noticed it never seems to work. I guess that explains that.

With the lack of really good ambiguous mixups, I find myself focusing on setting up the CD cross up vs just letting it go on the opponent's wake up mostly for mixups. My "neutral game mixup" is a lot of stagger crouching jabs to get counter hits, since they seem pretty plus on block. Once I have them scared into not pressing buttons back at cr.A, I start going for tick throws, and off the throws is probably the easiest way to setup the CD rekka cross up.

For people that like to jump a lot, I'm finding just doing sj.CD works pretty well to beat a lot of jumping attacks. Duo Lon goes so high that he gets above the opponent where they can't hit him. Only problem is that it has to be done preemptively, so you leave yourself open to anti airs if you don't react with it.

But damn, you guys got me wanting to try arcade Duo Lon now lol. I can't believe they'd tone him down.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
Duo Lon was greatly buffed overall, but it was at some cost. Roughly is mixup is less ambiguous but he won a lot of damage output potential and new tools which make him more comfortable with some matchups. The character is more stable, less random, and didn't have any bad matchup as far as we now.

I'm not a Duo Lon expert but it was that said me whose who played him on arcade.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:26:27 PM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

YMK

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:25 AM »
Ive just gone with foregoing the "reset" normal after a rekka string and letting the opponent hit the ground to set a Left/right mix up using the teleports. It requires a bit of reading, but nice rewards imo.
 Havent been able to really test it that well, so Im not sure how safe it may be. It does criss-cross up though, making reversals harder to do.

Examples:

Rekka string, (no delay) qcf+b, opponent rolls,(no delay)qcf+b = you criss-cross them up.
Rekka string, (no delay) qcf+b, opponent rolls, (delay) qcf+b = you look like your gonna cross up again, but dont and wind up in point blank range.

then theres other thing you can do if you delay the first qcf+b, and such. If you dont read it right and they DONT safe fall, then you just fly past them back to half screen. Of course if they dont tech, then you can still mix up from there.

which I had the capacity to make videos. this shit is hard to explain in words.

Most of this is just Lab-work. The people I play with don't really safe roll. lol -_-