Author Topic: Hwa Jai (Console)  (Read 88169 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
Re: Hwa Jai (Console)
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »
I think he meant B Dragon Tail and B SRK off of jumps.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »
^ Pretty much. It looks like they're safe. Thanks for correcting me about standing A.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
Oh yeah sorry, I should have gotten that. Yeah the aerial B SRK and qcb+B give advantage on block if timed late. I'm not sure if a close C after dp+B will keep people in blockstun the entire time, but certainly after j.qcb+B it will. I really don't use air dp+B very much, but I feel like I should since it's so damn good. I almost always jump in with j.D or j.CD.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
Yeah I don't really like using B Slide too much because it's so easy to accidentally get a B SRK or Super out while doing it in a combo.

I like doing air B Dragon Tail because it could setup some dirty C Grab Super setups.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2012, 01:32:25 AM »
Good job with the Hwa wiki Matt, added everything I was going to add and then some.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2012, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks, I hope people end up reading it, because right now Hwa is still kind of a mystery to most people.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:34 AM »
Yeah, a lot of people just don't know what he's capable of doing in Drunk Mode. Fuck, I didn't even know until I read this thread. It disappoints me that there's still guys in tournaments not using Drunk Mode with him, even tourney players don't seem to know what's up.

Question: If you do s.CD and cancel into Drunk Mode what could they possibly punish you with? I would think Mai's NeoMax or anything super fast like that could punish you but it's difficult to test this out.

Mind if I add some Tick-Throw setups with C Grab Super to the Wiki?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:36:22 AM by LouisCipher »

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
well... I just don't see C grab working as a tick throw since it has like 30+ frames of startup animation after the super flash. Maybe if it was used to beat an anticipated punish or something... but it can easily be reacted to and punished if you're not using it for its invulnerability. If you have a really interesting setup, then post it and maybe it'll be worth noting in the wiki.

And as for s.CD cancelled into drink, it'll probably work well against lots of characters, but like you said some can punish it for sure. I've done only a couple of times and I don't think I've been directly punished for it (when s.CD was max range), but I never really tested just how punishable it is. I can look into it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:30:05 AM by Matt Alder »

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »
So I tested s.CD cancelled into drink on block against Shen and apparently the only move that Shen can even punish it with is his EXDM. It seems like it's actually a really viable strategy against most characters. I think I'll start abusing this technique a lot. What an easy way to get a drink in. The space it creates from max range is really insane... it pushes opponents back to over half of the screen away and there are only maybe 7-10 frames that Hwa can be punished within... and most characters can't cover that distance in that amount of time very well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:02:32 PM by Matt Alder »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »
Yeah I was messing around with it when picking Hwa back up, very few people can do crap against it (though if you actually land it on someone in the corner, they could feasibly punish after roll recovery).
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »
I added some crossup setups to the wiki, http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hwa_Jai_%28XIII%29#Crossup_Setups but I'm sure there are more. These are just the ones that I know off the top of my head. If anyone else has any reliable ones I'd love to add them.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »
So I tested s.CD cancelled into drink on block against Shen and apparently the only move that Shen can even punish it with is his EXDM. It seems like it's actually a really viable strategy against most characters. I think I'll start abusing this technique a lot. What an easy way to get a drink in. The space it creates from max range is really insane... it pushes opponents back to over half of the screen away and there are only maybe 7-10 frames that Hwa can be punished within... and most characters can't cover that distance in that amount of time very well.

Yeah, I saw MADKOF do it and started mimicking him. I've never been punished for doing it.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:33 AM »
Yeah, but don't get too predictable with the setup.  If the opponent sees it coming, he could GCR the Blowback and...well you won't like the end result.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »
That's a helluva risk to GCR a CD though.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2012, 05:30:10 AM »
That's a helluva risk to GCR a CD though.

Sure, but if the Hwa isn't varying the setup, it's worth the risk.  It's not like it's going to be happening all the time anyway but it helps to play it safe and not always go for the Drink after s.CD.  Especially since half the fun of s.CD is D Dragon Tail afterwards.