Author Topic: King (Console)  (Read 63995 times)

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
Re: King (Console)
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
King's most damaging option(per meter consumption) midscreen is probably gonna be something like hitconfirm, df.D ex venom strike, D tornado kick. Does around 30% from the cr.b cr.b st.b confirm. But as stated numerous times her damage doesn't come from combos. It comes from effective zoning.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 12:58:37 AM »
I was curious, what are King's most reliable (and meter efficient) ways to get mid-screen damage? It seems to me that she can only do anything significant if you end a combo with EX Trap Shot, Double Strike, or Surprise Rose. I realize that King is not a damage dealing character, but it would be nice to get as much as I can per opportunity.

I wouldn't bother going for mid-screen damage unless you're going for a kill. If you're in the middle of the stage though, don't forget to add a slide into your combo, since it pushes the opponent pretty far. Then you can carry them with Trap Shot > (DC) B Tornado Kick > D Tornado Kick > Surprise Rose (if/once you get close to the corner). Otherwise, just do the reset that everybody else does.

If you want to spend meter to get damage mid-screen (but not really worth it, unless you want to look flashy lol):

1 drive, 1 stock: xx >  Trap Shot > (DC) B Tornado Kick > B Double Strike

2 drive, 2 stock: xx > Trap Shot > (DC) B Tornado Kick > D Tornado Kick (1-hit) > (DC) EX Venom Strike > D Double Strike

jfatx

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 07:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Looking fancy is always my first priority ;) For real, though, I'll keep those things in mind, and I will focus on zoning.

Ryujin

• Rising Dragon
  • Not going anywhere for a while? Use V-Slasher
    • View Profile
    • Fah-che-book
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Lately I've tried getting into the habit of not using Drive Cancels in the corner, because it feels like for every hit-confirm in the corner, you can do a non-drive variant and get close in damage (only about 30-50 less). I've been using Drives mostly to turn EX Trap Shots into about 250 damage / corner escapes, and getting damage off a combo that corner carries but didn't start in the corner.
360: Ryujinflame, playing XIII
FB|Twitter

UltraDavid

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:39 AM »
Hey is it known that surprise rose can cross up? Well, it can. And against shorter characters, throw the opponent with either throw, immediately do a short hop, then qcfx2+A or C. On some characters, A crosses up and C doesn't; on others, C crosses up and A doesn't; and on others they both always cross up. I don't really know how unsafe the super is, but it looks safeish on block. Is it?

Also, do people know that after King throws the opponent into the corner, you can cross the opponent up? In fact, with very slight variations in timing for the jump after the throw, you can cross up or not cross up.

Sorry, I'm planning to read everything through, but for now I'm just messing around in training mode and don't really know what's already common knowledge.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »
Hey is it known that surprise rose can cross up? Well, it can. And against shorter characters, throw the opponent with either throw, immediately do a short hop, then qcfx2+A or C. On some characters, A crosses up and C doesn't; on others, C crosses up and A doesn't; and on others they both always cross up. I don't really know how unsafe the super is, but it looks safeish on block. Is it?

Also, do people know that after King throws the opponent into the corner, you can cross the opponent up? In fact, with very slight variations in timing for the jump after the throw, you can cross up or not cross up.

Sorry, I'm planning to read everything through, but for now I'm just messing around in training mode and don't really know what's already common knowledge.

The second part is pretty common, but I am not sure if you can only do that from the 1P side (It was reported as only being 1P side-able). The first part I don't hear very often though, but I'm pretty sure Surprise Rose on block is not safe at all.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »

Yeah, that works the same way when you roll over them and land on the other side (in the corner) too...if you take a small step back, she can land in front of them...a really cool ambiguous set up that someone around here mentioned a while back (I forgot who).
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
Looks like King has been moving up the tier ranks, she's become pretty common in tournament play now with both Romance and Bala putting her on point. She can often be seen doing well in Japanese match vids as well.

NeoTrinity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
Spent most of the day messing around in the lab and when I got to King I believe I discovered something interesting. I dunno if they has been stated before though so sorry if this is old news.

If you are ever zoning with her and your opponent gets in, you could reset the position so to say by hoping at them with  ;c and canceling that into  ;d Venom Strike.  If they block this midcreen puts you about 3 1/2 characters apart and allows you to run away some more.  If they get hit they are sent to the other side of the screen and you've netted 127 damage.  Useful for running away I feel without backdashing all the time and it might throw them off to see King coming at them.

The downside to this, however, is that you should not do it when you're close to the corner.  I've tested it and EX Ranbu's like Iori's can punish her because she has a bit of landing recovery so if you opponent has fast moving horizontal attack you should not do it near the corner.  However a possible offset to this downside is if you're in the corner and they are in your face use GCCD, run at them, and Hop  ;c into  ;d Venom Strike.  That should give you a lot more breathing room though it does cost a meter but whatever, King does not necessarily need it and can get it back.  Personally I try to play a mix of Rushdown and Zoning King so for those who do the same this might help you fuck with your opponents mind. 

I'll take this to offline sets to see how effective it is and see if I can't make better use of it in other ways.

JuiceboxAbel

• New Challenger
  • KING of Fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
Looks like King has been moving up the tier ranks, she's become pretty common in tournament play now with both Romance and Bala putting her on point. She can often be seen doing well in Japanese match vids as well.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but she is a solid character against Mr. Karate because she can punish qcf+A on reaction (D tornado kick) limiting him to normals and parries. This doesn't necessarily make it 6-4, but the matchup is definitely NOT in Karate's favor.

In my experience, Kim and Benimaru are the only characters that can consistently beat or trade with her anti air normals, so those are the only matchups I'd venture to call "bad".
I stream KoFXIII ALL THE TIME: Twitch.tv/juiceboxabel
twitter: @juiceboxabel

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but she is a solid character against Mr. Karate because she can punish qcf+A on reaction (D tornado kick) limiting him to normals and parries. This doesn't necessarily make it 6-4, but the matchup is definitely NOT in Karate's favor.

I would put her in top 8.

The Karate qcf A punish is a huge revelation, I didn't know that at least.  Good stuff.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »

In my experience, Kim and Benimaru are the only characters that can consistently beat or trade with her anti air normals, so those are the only matchups I'd venture to call "bad".

That Tornado kick also shuts down Duo Lon's teleport after rekkas, didn't know it did the same against Karate as well.

Anyone know the frame data on the kick? Ryo's HCB+B also works against Duo Lon's teleport, wonder if it also works against Karate's fireball (can't test since I didn't get Karate).

The Karate qcf A punish is a huge revelation, I didn't know that at least.  Good stuff.

Karate feels like less of a threat as time goes on tbh.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:29:34 PM by Diavle »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but she is a solid character against Mr. Karate because she can punish qcf+A on reaction (D tornado kick) limiting him to normals and parries.

This isn't working for me. In training mode I have Mr. Karate on all guard with a recorded qcf+A and I can't punish it on block with King's hcb+D. I tried after a blockstring and raw point blank, in the corner and midscreen.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

JuiceboxAbel

• New Challenger
  • KING of Fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:27 AM »

This isn't working for me. In training mode I have Mr. Karate on all guard with a recorded qcf+A and I can't punish it on block with King's hcb+D. I tried after a blockstring and raw point blank, in the corner and midscreen.

No, you punish it on whiff, on reaction.

If he does a qcf+A and it whiffs, IMMEDIATELY do D Tornado and you'll hit his recovery. This is of course assuming he's 2/3 screen or closer, but he won't really use qcf+A from further away anyway.

Simply stay around 1/2 screen distance and punish this move repeatedly, and he'll have to come in on you if you have a lead. At that distance if he tries hyperhop anything you can st.C for a trade (or better), throw grounded B or EX fireballs, or try to go on offense with a slide or by running towards him (don't hop him, for the love of god).
I stream KoFXIII ALL THE TIME: Twitch.tv/juiceboxabel
twitter: @juiceboxabel

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
I've been using the EX Trap Shot as my general dp, but I noticed on the wiki that EX tornado kick has invinc frames too. Any thoughts on when and where to use each in response to pressure (in corner, on wakeup, responding to hops)?