Author Topic: Ryo Sakazaki (Console)  (Read 71596 times)

WINBACK

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Ryo Sakazaki (Console)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:14:54 AM »
Top 4 from a 13-man tournament we had last weekend. Stream has poor sound but decent image quality.

I used Ryo as my 2nd character. All critique is welcome. I play very basic for easy, guaranteed damage. I pretty much save up all my meter & drive for Ryo, play lame, and then do an easy 80% damage 3-bar HD combo. I was having some trouble dealing with Saiki since I wasn't familiar with his supers or normals. His fireball game is pretty frustrating.

http://www.twitch.tv/f_swipes/b/305506455
@31:00 = Renegade vs Winback (Winners Finals)
@1:09:10 = 1:29:00 Renegade vs Winback (Grand Finals)

I keep thinking about playing Robert over Ryo since he seems to be a better character and easier for me to use. The qualities I would put Ryo over Robert are:
-faster close HP.
-better hop (it's lower to the ground thus making it harder to react to).
-better jumping Blowback (much better angle than Robert's imo).
-better range on his Crouching HK (but it's slower than Robert's).
-Standing HK is a good poke. Easy to use and cancel with.
-Crouching HP is a fast, 2-frame move and a great anti-air (faster than any normal that Robert has).
-Jumping/Hop HK can be a tricky cross-up.
-his overhead (f+LP) is a nice tool to have for mix-up and can cancel into an easy 80% 3-bar HD combo.
-his qcf+P is a good close/mid range pressure tool that you can safely throw out.
-has small invincibility on his dp+LP (if the opponent blocks this but doesn't react fast enough you can throw this out without getting punished).
-using Parry (as well as the occasional qcf+LP) makes Ryo a lot better at playing lame/patient from longer ranges against rushdown as well as against fireball characters.
-Standing HK into d/f+LK cancel gimmicks, although I'm still having trouble fully utilizing this.

That's all I got. Robert excels at a lot of his own things too, possibly more things than Ryo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:27:32 AM by WINBACK »
Yeah, in a basement.
You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one bein'...YOU'RE FIGHTIN' IN A BASEMENT.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Why do you keep jumping into Saiki's fireball super? It doesn't travel full screen, it would have fizzled out before it reached you (you were always at full screen's lenght from it).

Also, why aren't you canceling your parries into specials? What does the other guy have to fear if you don't do anything after it?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:55:26 PM by Diavle »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 03:02:24 AM »
you should had use better your jumping D, since after you connected one you never did anything after, would have been better even without hit confirm, just doing a cr.c + qcf + a, also you feel quickly on saiki zoning, doing some FB against him is fine since I believe that he doesn't had any normal who could trade against if he is standing, I don't know with qcb + k, but well

Overall, you could try to be more succesfull when you had your opponent in the corner, there is where real could be really scary

Waifu Material

WINBACK

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:52 AM »
Why do you keep jumping into Saiki's fireball super? It doesn't travel full screen, it would have fizzled out before it reached you (you were always at full screen's lenght from it).
That's one of the things I didn't know about Saiki, I thought it was just like Ash's. The first time I tried to quickly jump over it thinking it would go under me but I landed on it because I didn't know it just stops there. 2nd time I waited a little bit later but I still didn't clear over it. 3rd time I just said "fuck it" and I just backdashed and let Saiki come in. Now I know.

Also, why aren't you canceling your parries into specials? What does the other guy have to fear if you don't do anything after it?
You mean after parrying Saiki's fireball, right? You gotta be like 1/3 of the screen away from him to punish his fireball with f,hcf+P which does like 20% damage. I think most of the time I was much further away. Plus if I'm Ryo I'll save my meter for HD combo (3 bars), and if I have a 4th bar that gives me access to qcf+AC or a Guard Blowback in case he corners me.

you should had use better your jumping D, since after you connected one you never did anything after, would have been better even without hit confirm, just doing a cr.c + qcf + a, also you feel quickly on saiki zoning, doing some FB against him is fine since I believe that he doesn't had any normal who could trade against if he is standing, I don't know with qcb + k, but well

Overall, you could try to be more succesfull when you had your opponent in the corner, there is where real could be really scary
I think I hit Hop D too high and that's why Stand D never combo'd. And you're right about Close C, I should use that because it's a lot faster (easier to link) instead of Standing D.

In the corner I need to learn to do more qcf+A into hcb+B. Other than that I usually like to put some space between me and my opponent to avoid any wake-up DP bullshit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:01:06 PM by WINBACK »
Yeah, in a basement.
You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one bein'...YOU'RE FIGHTIN' IN A BASEMENT.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 05:33:11 AM »
You can fireball after a parry or HCB+B. HCB+B is really fast and will hit them when within the range of  3, give or take, character spaces. The fireball will put something out there for him to back off. Its about doing something so he thinks twice about approaching, just parrying is kinda pointless.

Also, QCF+C is long lasting so if you do it within range then it will "eat up" fireballs and hit the opponent.

Don't know why you need to save all that meter for 1 HD combo when your characters can do lots of damage with little meter, you were often sitting fully stocked. Ryo's 1 meter and 1 drive combo does over 50% damage (while building back over 80% of a power bar).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:36:09 AM by Diavle »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 06:08:49 AM »
Which 1 stock 1 gauge does ryo has with more than 50%?

Waifu Material

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »
Just fyi, it appears that Ryo's jumping D will beat Billy's crC. This definitely gives him an advantage in that matchup.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »
Is this here yet? I think it should be.

KOF XIII School of Ryo - There is No Projectile

Some uploader's notes: If a hit or projectile does more than 2-hits, you have to cancel it with a move that has invincibility, hence why he parried Athena's EX Psycho Ball then cancelled it into an EX Kohou.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 03:24:09 AM »
isn't a really bad idea to do an ex koho just to parry a fireball?

You spend a meter, and you are completely free after that

Waifu Material

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
Started messing around with Ryo... Found some cool corner stuff...

Corner - 1 meter + 1 drive

j.C, s.C, qcf+C, dp+AC, DC, qcf+A, hcb+D, dp+C = 555 dmg

Corner - 2 meter HD combo

j.C, s.D, f+A, HD, s.D, qcf+A, dp+C, DC, qcf+A, *slight delay* dp+C, DC, hcb+D, dp+C, DC, qcf+A, *slight delay* dp+C, DC, hcb+D, dp+C, DC, Neomax = 892 dmg
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
Interesting, looks like the combo sD, HCB+B can act as a link.

The active and cancel frames on the sD are so long and the HCB+B is so fast that you can hit confirm the sD landing visually and then input the HCB+B. Its actually surprising how late you can enter the HCB+B after the sD and still have it combo.

This also works with the ex version but you have slightly less time to enter the attack after the confirm.

Doesn't work with HCB+D because of the long startup.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
i just started using ryo along with kim and takuma and i really finding it hard to use ryo because he only has 1 safe move. even though im using his pokes which are ok compared to ralf (my main) i feel like im spamming his kohoken way to much and i cant really parry (it aint no 3rd strike type ish) i think its because of the start up frame to get it out

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
If it's possible to reliably hitconfirm ex hien shinpuukyaku off of s.D then that's awesome, though i don't think that the b version makes any difference really, cool if it does though.

Ryo's one safe special is all he needs though, the rest comes down to footsies and setups. The high parry works as an anti air, cancel it into the b koho and it won't run the risk of trading, another good use is to just throw it out at any point where your opponent usually tries to poke out of your pressure if you feel that he/she is predictable. The low parry is very quick but i generally prefer it for shortening my c/d attacks recovery with the bonus of moving me forward a bit, enabling close stand C to be used twice in a row for example.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
yep, with that safe move you are done, since is really hard, if not' impossible to punish

Waifu Material

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 01:06:53 AM »
if ur parrying skills aint good then u dont have any type of mix up options right??/