Author Topic: Robert Garcia (Console)  (Read 62964 times)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Garcia (Console)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
Yeah that mixup was nuts.

He's a very solid and fun character with great movement. His only problem is that he tends to scale pretty heavily so you gotta spend time and figure out which combos to use, shorter ones often times tend to result in better damage. Its easy to get carried away and creative since he has so many tools and options. HD combos seem kind of iffy with him as well, easy to drop. Not to mention there isn't much he can do meterless in HD outside the corner or close to it. This is what makes him a weak anchor imo.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:51:00 PM by Diavle »

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »

He seems to have a great jump D and his close HP is very fast....so fast that a lot of times I fail to take advantage of it a lot of time during the match not realizing it hit-confirmed.

Always cancel it by f.B, if it hits confirm into the combo of your choice, otherwise cancel the f.B by a fireball. You might be punish by an experimented player who will break roll and punish into your recovery.
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Malik

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 05:25:11 AM »
Yeah that mixup was nuts.

He's a very solid and fun character with great movement. His only problem is that he tends to scale pretty heavily so you gotta spend time and figure out which combos to use, shorter ones often times tend to result in better damage. Its easy to get carried away and creative since he has so many tools and options. HD combos seem kind of iffy with him as well, easy to drop. Not to mention there isn't much he can do meterless in HD outside the corner or close to it. This is what makes him a weak anchor imo.

I feel the same way in regards to his HD combos mid/full-screen, I run him 2nd right now but varying on the matchups I'm faced with, he goes first then Billy picks up the slack if there's any. The thing I've found with Robert is that whatever playstyle you have, the character next to him (whether he's 1st or 2nd) should compliment your style because I think it's the best way to get out everything from him & he has to many tools so he can do just about everything. His j.C Instant overhead is pretty nice too & especially effective when you do j. ;dn ;db ;bk  ;b ;d. after it
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »
What do you guys overall think of his strengths and weaknesses? I would like to add them here:

http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Robert_Garcia_%28XIII%29#Gameplay_Overview

I see an opinion about his HD combos aren't all that, and his damage overall isn't that hot, while I see that his normals and special moves are good. Any other opinions?
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

9inchsamurai

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm really hating his fireball the more I use him. The recovery on it is really god-awful, so it seems like the only time to use it is for drive-canceling to the corner.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
His FB is good man... It's a high FB... So some characters HAVE to jump over it... C FB travels fast and A FB is slow... EX FB eats other FBs... C FB DM punishes FBs at full screen... You have to buffer to motion f~hcf and just press C as soon as you see the opponent wind up for a FB...

FBs also make all his block strings safe... And also sweep to FB is good... If they roll recover the sweep they have to block the FB as a meaty... You can chase them with d/b~f+D afterwards...

@Malik... j.C isn't an instant overhead... It just hits standing opponents right away...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:52:11 PM by t3h mAsTarOth...! »
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
What do you guys overall think of his strengths and weaknesses? I would like to add them here:

http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Robert_Garcia_%28XIII%29#Gameplay_Overview

I see an opinion about his HD combos aren't all that, and his damage overall isn't that hot, while I see that his normals and special moves are good. Any other opinions?

His damage is good as long as you know what you're doing (almost 60% for 2 bars and 1 drive anywhere on the screen, almost 50% for 1 bar and 1 drive anywhere on the screen, his meterless punish is above average etc). HD combos are the only thing iffy about him (if you are trying to be meter efficient) because the execution is easy to mess up and because he scales hard

The character hasn't been explored well yet, especially in tournament, so I'm not sure if its fair to pin down his strenghts/weaknesses just yet.

So far, if I had to describe him it would be as a jack of all trades but a master of few.

He's not particularly the best at anything but, like Malik said above, has a lot of tools that allow him to alternate between various play styles on the fly. He can be fast and do hit and run (like Mai/Athena), do fireball pressure (like Kensou), command grab and cross up pressure (like Iori), combo you in many situations (like Kim) etc.

He also has one of the best and fastest neomaxes in the game.

In terms of weakness its just the thing of having everything but a lot of it not being too good (which balances him out). Like he has fireball pressure but its not as good as Mai/Athen/Kensou, he has a command grab but both the regular and ex aren't instant and have no invincibility on startup so easy to get hit out of, he has combos up the wazoo but you have to be careful of damage scaling etc.

But yeah, I think there is still much to learn about him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:35:20 PM by Diavle »

Malik

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
His FB is good man... It's a high FB... So some characters HAVE to jump over it... C FB travels fast and A FB is slow... EX FB eats other FBs... C FB DM punishes FBs at full screen... You have to buffer to motion f~hcf and just press C as soon as you see the opponent wind up for a FB...

FBs also make all his block strings safe... And also sweep to FB is good... If they roll recover the sweep they have to block the FB as a meaty... You can chase them with d/b~f+D afterwards...

@Malik... j.C isn't an instant overhead... It just hits standing opponents right away...

Oh yeah you're right because to hit a crouching opponent, you have to alter the timing when doing it. As far as what I think of Robert's overall strengths & weaknesses.
Pros: He is a jack of all trades but a master of few as Diavle said, fireball pressure is decent enough to make opponents take risks they normally wouldn't, his buttons in neutral are pretty decent anti-airs as well as his 2 ;c & 2 ;d OS 6 ;a, j. ;b, j. ;c, and j. ;d all crossup as well as the command input one, CD has nice range & OS'd into a fireball creates decent pressure, and he can combo into a ton of his moves.
Cons: He doesn't deal large damage unless meter on both are used & if they are in the corner as well, while he has a ton of tools, they aren't as great as other characters in the game so don't expect them to be, and most of his HDs (Unless they're doing 600-700 DMG) are not worth grinding mid-screen because you're going to be using at LEAST 3 stocks & most seem to like Robert on point so using them is not recommended UNLESS you're in the corner IMO.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
Pretty much am recording everything useful I can think of concerning Robert into this linked SRK thread. Tell me if you see anything useful in there.  :)

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/kof-xiii-robert-garcia.164109/

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 06:12:29 PM »
Pretty much am recording everything useful I can think of concerning Robert into this linked SRK thread. Tell me if you see anything useful in there.  :)

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/kof-xiii-robert-garcia.164109/

Great work man, lots of good info in there.

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
excellent stuff. I've been grinding hard with Robert lately and have been trying to discover more of his reset/mixup potential as well. Not sure if this has been covered yet but from just about any air reset or close and grounded situation, hop C is excellent for setting up "empty" crossups into command grab. Just another nifty option for opening up an opponent that has been trained to look for the correct blocks. J.C in general is very good for air-to-ground and surprisingly has some utility as a an ambiguous crossup on its own so with the proper spacing it covers a lot of the bases for his mixup game.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:26:47 PM by MezzoForte »
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

OCV|Gilgamesh

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 10:36:54 PM »
kupĂ´

Any safe-jump setups ?

thanks

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
Normal jump after regular command grab in the corner is a safe jump.

Speaking of which, I found this setup today. May be of use.

[KOF XIII] Robert Garcia
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:14:07 AM by AirLancer »

JuiceboxAbel

• New Challenger
  • KING of Fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
Robert's HD combo is a little tough, mostly because if you want to do something more complicated than "1,2,3, super, neomax" your stage position becomes very important. With practice, Robert's HD combo will do just under 800 for 2 bars consistently. This guide will help you carry your opponent to the corner off of a regular ground string and end your combo with a neomax.

I used the blue metallic stage with Rose and Adelheid for this because the stage has clearly marked sections. I have defined the following boundaries:

(Assume Robert is facing to the right)

ZONE 1 - From the left corner to the thin, narrow pillar which is immediately to the right of the computer chair. *Note that I AM NOT referring to the thick pillar covered in wires which is to the left of the piano.

ZONE 2 - From the end of ZONE 1 to the center of the 3 red lines on the floor near the center of the stage, left of the piano.

ZONE 3 - From the end of ZONE 2 to the precise center of the stage. (This ZONE is very small.)

ZONE 4 - From the center of the stage all the way to the corner.

As you learn these "areas" of the stage you should find your own way of defining the same areas in the other stages. Try not to use the cameo characters as markers because they will not always be there.
---
[dc] = drive cancel

ZONE 1 HD Combo:
812 damage, 3 bars

cl.C, f+B, f+A (1 hit) xx HD
cl.C, f+B xx C uppercut, late [dc] to D divekick
land
A uppercut [dc] A fireball
EX charge kick (both hits must connect)
C uppercut [dc] C fireball
A uppercut [dc] D divekick (misses)
C uppercut [dc] neomax
---
ZONE 2 HD Combo:
794 damage, 2 bars

land
A uppercut [dc] A fireball
D charge kick
C uppercut [dc] neomax
---
ZONE 3 HD Combo:
790 damage, 2 bars

land
C uppercut [dc] neomax
---
ZONE 4 HD Combo:
790 damage, 2 bars

cl.C, f+B xx C uppercut, late [dc] to D divekick*
land
C uppercut [dc] neomax

*For ZONE 4, the late cancel is not necessary if you started the combo to the right of the 3 red lines on the right of the piano. A slightly earlier cancel to the divekick will still combo at this distance.
---
Any thoughts or edits you guys would like to make to this?
I stream KoFXIII ALL THE TIME: Twitch.tv/juiceboxabel
twitter: @juiceboxabel

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »
For HD Combos, you should leave out the f.A from your hitconfirm string, since for longer combos it causes them to do less damage overall due to scaling. Also, I've made a few videos and written out quite a bit on SRK about
how to maximize Robert's HD damage output, and on squeezing out a bit more efficiency when possible with his drive-cancel combos.

One of my combo videos, which I think are all practical enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_ymndN-6g#

(I'm not sure how to just get this to come up as a link, rather than embedding.)