Author Topic: Mr. Karate (Pre-release theory fighter)  (Read 6428 times)

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Mr. Karate (Pre-release theory fighter)
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »

Notation
Notation
;a = Light Punch
;b = Light Kick
;c = Strong Punch
;d = Strong Kick

* = EX version possible

Throws
Ippon Seoi - ;bk / ;fd + ;c/ ;d

Command List
Seiken Sandan Tsuki - ;fd + ;a

Sokutou-geri - ;fd + ;b

Special Attacks
Ko'ou-ken - ;qcf + ;a / ;c *
┗Step - ;fd ;fd after ;c ver Ko'ou-ken

Kohou - ;fd;dn;df + ;c *
┗ Brake - A+B after first hit

Shorankyaku - ;hcb + ;b / ;d *

Hakyokujin - ;qcb + ;a / ;c *

Zanretsuken - ;fd ;bk ;fd + ;a / ;c *

Hi'en Shippukyaku = ;hcf + ;b / ;d (air only) *

Desperation Moves
Haoh Shikouken - ;fd ;hcf + ;a/ ;c

Ryuuko Ranbu - ;qcf ;hcb + ;a / ;c *

Kyokugen Kohou - ;qcf ;qcf + ;b / ;d

Neomax
Kishin Sanga Geki - ;qcb ;hcf + ;a ;c

* = EX version possible
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:47:44 PM by nilcam »

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Karate
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
--==COMBOS==--
WIP

--==STRATEGIES==--
WIP

----------

I figured we should finally give this "rumor" his own topic.  :)  Non-blurry picture coming soon!

Big thanks to Ky0 for sharing his movelist with us. Anyway, I'm quite excited to try this character. I'm especially interested in his counters and the air version of his Hi'en Shippukyaku (hcf+K in air). Since the move has traditionally juggled opponents, DCing it from his Kohou might lead to some fun combos. (Maybe similar to Kim's EX air qcb+K move.)

I'm not sure if he doesn't have an A version of his Kohou, of if that was just a typo. Maybe Ky0 can answer that for us.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:31:46 PM by Rex Dart »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
Speaking of which, I think a certain man named after his special moves needs a thread too.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:46:00 AM »
The step after the projectile seems weird, but I'm just saying that because I can't picture it.

His DP is awesome because it's what defines the skill Mr. Karate has that Takuma doesn't.

Air-only Hi'en Shippukyaku seems dumb. There's really no reason for them to have done that. If it's to make Takuma's and Mr. Karate's gameplay different, they accomplished that mission with everything else.

I also don't like the idea of him having counters, and here's why: Takuma/Mr. Karate is a master of Kyoguken, and he is rivals with the Todoh school, which specializes in counter-attacks. Knowing that makes him having a counter very weird, because it feels like he's stealing from his rival school, and it's not just in this game. It was also weird in 2002 when Takuma had a counter as an HSDM. Maybe I'm just overanalyzing things, but that's how I feel about that.

Even so, Mr. Karate seems like a badass character, and I would play as him.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:48:05 AM by marchefelix »

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
In the second gba advance game Takuma had a punch special with a parrry at the start of it, so that may count aswell. Counters exist in most martial arts because it is a good idea, karate is no exception but even ignoring that, alot of martial artists learn more than one style and aikido isn't exactly rare so it wouldn't be odd for him to have something of the sort up his sleeve.

Air Hi'en Shippukyaku should be ok if it makes him move in an arc, more like Ryos versions because that would make it flow better visually when dc'd from a kohou or just activated early/mid jump. If he jumps straigth up and then shoots forward in a straigth line there is the risk that it might look really weird.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »
Air Hi'en Shippukyaku should be ok if it makes him move in an arc, more like Ryos versions because that would make it flow better visually when dc'd from a kohou or just activated early/mid jump. If he jumps straigth up and then shoots forward in a straigth line there is the risk that it might look really weird.

I think it would work better if he descended as he did the attack so that eventually he lands on the ground and then can follow it up with another attack (but then it would seem somewhat like a dive kick)

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »
Hoping for a downward arc on the the hienshippukyaku too. Have a feeling that one of the main intents of making it air has to do with drive cancelling after airborne on DP.

Re: Takuma with counters, he's had enough counters in the series for this not to seem strange at all. His  ;dn ;db ;bk counter was always pretty cool. I also like it because XIII is pretty counter-needy when you consider that this is KOF we're talking about.

@Kyokugen Kohou - Ungaaaaah!!!

Man, they have done it again it appears with really flushing out the EX chrs. Awesome job, cannot wait to get my hands on them.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
I was hope'n his Air Hien would look like the double kick style his 2K2 version had. Oh well! Interesting to seeing how that works. I like the idea that he has an air special, though, that's totally different for Takuma.

HIs counters are going to be very Marco-like, which I'll like a lot, lol. Can't wait to see how Garou+98 mixes into 1 character, haha. Sounds like a perfect EX character, full of fresh gameplay comprised off elements of the best practitioners of the characters fighting style.

Ky0

• Scion of Flame
  • MIJU KUMONO MEGA [Location]: Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:38 AM »

KoF 4 EVA