Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 259620 times)

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
Maybe a strange question, but, in HD mode, each HD cancel drains the bar by 10%, right? Which means that the most HD cancels you could theoretically cram into one combo is 10, right? Are there any combos that actually include that many?

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »
No, because the HD bar drains down itself.  If you had a character that could [HDC] the first few frames of the special and into another special which could do the same, you could probably pull off 6.  I think Iori might fit under that category but I'm not sure.  K' is another one that can cancel real fast, I think he can do 5 sets.   Come to think of it, I think 5 or max 6 is the most I've seen.  EDIT: I stand corrected, even Shen can do 6 cancels, Iori must be able to do more then as his qcb+K cancels earlier than Shen's qcf+Ds etc...EDIT2: So scanning his thread, it appears that 6 seems to be the magic number with Iori as well.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:18:21 PM by Kane317 »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
I hope this is the right thread to post in.

So I was finally able to play it. I'm having trouble doing HCB/HCF motions. I never had problems with that in any other games aside from OG 98 and 02. So, I'm a little worried about that. Another weird thing is that I can't do Mature's Rekka's consistently. Which is the exact same problem I have with those OG KOF games. But I never have that problem with Rekka characters in other games.

So far I really like: Ralf, Hwai Jai, King, Maxima, Iori, Kyo, Kim, and Shen Woo.

Because of his EX Grab I consider Kyo to officially be a Hybrid Grappler ;) .

Hwai Jai is a fucking pimp. Just a way better version of Joe. I like that his Hundred Hand Slaps (you know what I mean) move is a command move as opposed to just mashing punch. That's the one thing I've always hated about Joe. Joe just seems harder to combo with, and his toward+B that he had in every KOF is gone for no reason, instead he has this upward attack much more similar to his toward+MK attack he had in CVS2. Hwai is just a combo machine. I dig him.

Maxima I like. Out of all the grapplers and hybrids in this game, he's the one who most reminds me of Alex from 3S. His one problem is that's he's slow, but I assume you play zoning with him then you just need to get in once for massive damage.

Question: Out of all the characters I like, where would you place them on a team? Because I was thinking of Hwai/Kyo on 1st. 2nd would be Shen, King, Kim, and Maxima. 3rd for Ralf and Iori.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:38:00 AM by LouisCipher »
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2011, 01:14:03 PM »
Question: Out of all the characters I like, where would you place them on a team? Because I was thinking of Hwai/Kyo on 1st. 2nd would be Shen, King, Kim, and Maxima. 3rd for Ralf and Iori.

Personally, I like the rule of:
1st> Character who can work without meter first,
2nd> Does best with SOME meter, limited cancels
3rd> "Prime did it, he turned the tide!" Comeback king.

Ralf and Kyo I'd say first. Maybe Kim, since he can build meter with the best of them.
Hwa Jai, Maxima, and King second.
Iori, Shen, and (again) Maxima for 3rd.

Really depends on playstyle though. In older KoFs, I like throwing out Maxima first at times, because his damage is so solid, that he can put on a serious hurt, even if the whole round doesn't go my way.

Conversely, sometime I'd save him for 3rd, since he was the most likely to land some SURE KILL damage in tight situations.

Ralf's ability to link a special into another normal seems pretty solid to me, so that screams "doesn't need drive for extended combos!". So I'd think I could do well without burning much meter.

Hwa's Dragon Kick into Dragon Tail just seems so good, that I'd personally like him 2nd. I want that awesome cancel, heh heh. Also wouldn't hurt to have a meter stored, to toss back a Drink Pink after a CD blowback or something.

Iori and Shen just seem too good at landing HD off everything. Since pretty much ANY normal hit can turn into huge damage with HD, I'd like to keep them as 3rd row secret weapons. Maxima too, but he needs the HD + DM gauge, so it's not as easy.

Just a couple of throughts. Definitely not law in any way, lol. Really looking forward to seeing how these kinda ideas work out once console release hits...

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »
how do you change the music in kof xiii?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
Why is Terry considered Low Tier by some? Same applies to Mai. Clark and Goro I can completely understand but Terry and Mai look like they have a solid game and do damage consistent with the rest of the mid-tiers.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »
Why is Terry considered Low Tier by some? Same applies to Mai. Clark and Goro I can completely understand but Terry and Mai look like they have a solid game and do damage consistent with the rest of the mid-tiers.

It might depend on character tools and play-style. Given a few more classic moves, like Power Dunk or Mai's Flying Dragon Blast from '98, they'd be picked up more. I do plan to use them a lot when I get the game, as Mai as great evasion and Terry has great EX potential.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »

Haha.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:12 PM »
Laban posted over at SRK an interesting finding about Shen that I have not read anywhere else.  Like Clark, he can do a d.B into command throw link (not canceled) a la '98.  So I did further testing, anyone with a quick command throw like Vice, Goro, Clark, Shen can all do the same: d.B --> command throw
due to sheer distance.  I suppose it would apply to Duo Lon and Ash's NM as well.

EDIT: I just realized that Vice's d.B cancels so she can d.B cancel into command throw, or just link it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:45:40 AM by Kane317 »

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »
I hope it's more than one d.B cuz hit confirming from one is damn near impossible
" you fight well in the old style"

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »
I hope it's more than one d.B cuz hit confirming from one is damn near impossible

That's what separates the men from the boys ;)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »

That's what separates the men from the boys ;)

It's limiting factor is distance.  I suppose Goro could do two d.Bs and go for a hcb~f+AC link.  As for a non-EX, I'm afraid one d.b is all you can do (in theory).

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
something i noticed from playing goro, his  ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk ;fd is for the closest combo situations and not good for punishes at all. it doesnt have that old good throw priority. what ive noticed is that his  ;fd ;dn ;df K throw has replaced his other one. the dp throw goes through attacks as in true kof style, can be combod from the furthest distance, its his best punish throw. i dont think it does as much damage but its his best throw. even the EX version of the  ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk ;fd throw is crap, only use it in combos or combos when you close to the corner. for all other situations replace this throw with his dp+K throw and yur set. huge difference if you use goro. my gift to you guys interrested in goro. it also seems faster in start up like a true kof throw, unlike the hcb,f one.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

PurpGuy

• Rising Dragon
  • XBox Live: PurpGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2011, 09:50:13 AM »

I haven't played XIII yet and have been wondering that myself.  Terry seems pretty solid mostly.  Asking myself "What would Terry need to become more formidable?" and having a hard time coming up with an answer.  Power Dunk might be nice to have in some combos, but as far as anti-air, Rising Tackle seems to do the trick nicely enough.  Burn Knuckle Drive Cancel into Quack Shot followed by EX Rising Tackle looks really good too.  As for HD combos, Burn Knuckles into the corner seem to be the way to go, kind of like a ghetto Shen.  The only real weakness I can see is that his anti-air is a charge move.  He doesn't have an obvious anti-air normal move like a down+C or something.

Other than that, I think he's O.K.