Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 261349 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
Yeah Kane, I'll try to manually make it happen but it happened multiple times during the tournament already. Every random fireball against a jump in I tried to dp.

Find the stream time and I'll watch the video again when you post it.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Okay I'm rewatching now.

Part 1 39:40 I'm sure I tried to dp here. There's some other parts against where I threw a fireball when he was already in the air but rewatching it definitely seems like they were just bad fireballs and I don't really remember those clearly.

Part 3 0:29:55 This is another 100% dp attempt. 0:30:20 I tried to mash random dp for sure as well but I got another fireball. Okay after clearly watching I exaggerated the amount of times I got random fireball instead of dp but it definitely happened more than once.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to provide the link last night. http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/b/289916237
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:54:43 PM by Demoninja »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2011, 12:51:05 AM »
Okay I'm rewatching now.

Part 1 39:40 I'm sure I tried to dp here. There's some other parts against where I threw a fireball when he was already in the air but rewatching it definitely seems like they were just bad fireballs and I don't really remember those clearly.

Part 3 0:29:55 This is another 100% dp attempt. 0:30:20 I tried to mash random dp for sure as well but I got another fireball. Okay after clearly watching I exaggerated the amount of times I got random fireball instead of dp but it definitely happened more than once.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to provide the link last night. http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/b/289916237

Hmm how peculiar, I don't see anything special.

The time listed (29m55 part 3) I see that you did a back dash right before the projectile came out but it still doesn't explain anything.  All the other times I don't see anything special.

I know you don't want to hear this, but it might just be poor execution.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »
I'd really like to think I can separate a  ;fd ;dn ;df from a  ;dn ;db ;bk after a few years of playing but let's just leave it at that haha. I'll bring it up again if it ever happen again at another event because then I'll know for sure it wasn't just me.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2011, 03:59:46 AM »
The only thing I can think of is maybe you were a bit sloppier than usual  (stream nerves, perhaps?) on hitting the  ;dn, so you were doing  ;fd  ;dn ;db ;dn ;df, though I'm not sure if that would give a  ;dn ;db ;bk.  It seems very unlikely that you'd be going as far as  ;fd ;dn ;db ;bk ;db ;dn ;df no matter how sloppy you were being *laughs* .
Old man/bad player

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »
Yeah exactly my thoughts haha. I was a bit nervous cause I hadn't played in a long time but it was more along the lines of me not doing combos and playing really weird compared to my usual before my extended break from the game.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
I don't know if it's the right place, but why in the character section SDM damages have been write like this : 40*2,30*5,80 SDM doesn't have any internal damage reduction, it's irrelevant for them. And it's easier to write 320.
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

IceWater

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2011, 04:01:22 AM »
Since they did all the moves like that I assume they did it just to keep things uniform. Would be cool to have the totals listed next to them to make things easy though.
Xbox Live: Austinm416
Games: SF3OE/KOFXIII

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2011, 05:23:37 AM »
Makes it possible to calculate damage scaling for anything that combos after the SDM, too.
Old man/bad player

jeremycarrier

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2011, 06:28:53 AM »
So how does the game differente cl. ;c from regular throws( ;fd;c)? Sorry, I come from a SF3/4 background where throws are done with two buttons, and I'm used to pressing forward while getting in on the offensive. When you want a close C, do you just let go of the joystick and hit  ;c so not to get a throw?

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »
So how does the game differente cl. ;c from regular throws( ;fd;c)? Sorry, I come from a SF3/4 background where throws are done with two buttons, and I'm used to pressing forward while getting in on the offensive. When you want a close C, do you just let go of the joystick and hit  ;c so not to get a throw?

That's one way, or just dependent on range. Remember, SFII also had Strong Normal + Direction in order to do it's throws.

Also, if an enemy is already in hitstun, you have no chance to do a throw on them. You won't attempt it, and the forward + attack will be interpeted as just a really close strong attack.

Landing a throw rather than an attack is actually a good thing, most of the time. You might not be able to combo out of it, but once you see that you've scored a good, solid knockdown, the mixups begin!

Also, SNK games actually have a "back turned" state for characters. If your throw turns them around, it takes a bit longer for the opponent to recover on wakeup, letting your get back in SLIGHTLY easier. Also, back turn hitstun/push is different, so sometimes you can do combos that you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

jeremycarrier

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »
Another question I have is what I seen refered to as "autoguard". I've seen K' jump  ;d Shen right when he was doing his st. ;c, the ;c stopped/freeze-framed for a second, then kept going like nothing happened and knocked K' away.

What's up with that? What moves have those properties? What is the limit of their effectiveness(and yes, I've seen the "Maxima Guard Points Everything" video, which just made me more curious)?

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:18 AM »
Autoguard is basically armor for however long during the move. It'll absorb stuff for however long it has guard point then continue the move. That's the easiest explanation I can give since I don't really know about the specifics.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »
Another question I have is what I seen refered to as "autoguard". I've seen K' jump  ;d Shen right when he was doing his st. ;c, the ;c stopped/freeze-framed for a second, then kept going like nothing happened and knocked K' away.

What's up with that? What moves have those properties? What is the limit of their effectiveness(and yes, I've seen the "Maxima Guard Points Everything" video, which just made me more curious)?

Dunno if you have played MvC3, if you have then Sentinel is a great example of a character with AutoGuard.

But yeah, basically some character moves have AutoGuard, Shen s.;c is one, Maxima s.;c , s.;d, and qcb + ;c have it. But in Maxima is easier to notice, you will see a big blue bubble when his AutoGuard kicks in. Some EX move have it, but besides that I haven't really check all of them. You can find most of this info in the Wiki of this page.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2011, 07:16:34 AM »
Basically, if the move hits fast enough, and is an actual hit (Like say, Joe Higashi's Screw upper DM) then a Guard point can absorb the entire move, doing no chip damage to you, and let you get the advantage with an attack, after the move ends.

If a move is kinda slow (Like, say, maybe King's double strike), the Guard point will just absorb 1 blow, and you'll continue your move animation... and get hit by the second blow.

Basically, certain frames of moves have Autoguard / Guard points. If soemthing hits those points, during those frames, and KEEPS hitting fast enough, the character will stay in that frame, until the attacks are over.

An important note VS similiarity to sentinel and hulk in MvC3: they have a limited number of hits in their Autoguard (theirs is more like super armor). So if you lands those hits before their animation happens, they LOSE their guard, and enter normal hitstun. That doesn't happen in KoF, they can take unlimited hits, as long as the hits come fast enough.

Note: You can beat autoguard by combing from the guarded move, into a command throw, or a move with quick invincibility. This is pretty fun to do!

Moves that have these properties? I might miss a few:

K' EX Minute Spike
Takuma's EX Kyoukugen Ko Ou
Maxima's Vapor Cannon, Double Vapor Cannon DMs, Ground CD, Far C, Close C, Crouching C, Far & Close D, & EX M19 Blitz Cannon
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:20:45 AM by SAB-CA »