Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 259794 times)

PhoeniX

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #435 on: November 21, 2011, 01:01:52 AM »
So the day before yesterday, I was screwing around in KOFXIII training mode (arcade version). And I found a very odd, and pretty bad bug.

So I made a video illustrating this bug.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksY0JwFM77s

Basically whenever Iori tries to crouch block the second hitbox of certain attacks (mostly uppercut like moves, like close C and crouch C), he can't. He can standing block them, this essentially makes them extremely fast overheads.

For most chars, it isn't a big deal, they do one heavy attack hit, which hurts but won't kill you. Most characters cannot cancel the second hitbox of these attack (not even BC cancel). But three characters are especially scary.

If Kyo hits with the second hitbox of his cl.C, he can link into his EX DM and do a LOT of damage of this overhead.

Maxima's second hit of his close C is also overhead on Iori. Maxima can cancel this close C, so potentially he can also HD cancel and potentially do a full HD combo.

Robert can use his f+A which can cancel into f+B to hitconfirm and go into a hitconfirmed overhead HD cancel.

What I mean by second hitbox of a close C is the following.

Close C of Kyo has two active periods, one where his arm is close to his body, a second period where it's sticking upwards.

First hitbox.
Second hitbox.

It's that second hitbox that hits overhead for some reason. It seems to have something to do with the fact that these moves force stand.

What I really want to know is: Is this gone on console?

Kane317 tested it with Shen, other people tested the kyo and maxima one. The second hitboxes seem to whiff on crouching Iori. (which is weird... in cause of kyo cl.C, it has never been like that in previous KOF's)

I'd like to see eventually all of these case being tested. So that's where you lucky ones who got the game early come in. ;-)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:03:51 AM by PhoeniX »

Siren

• New Challenger
  • I'm sorry, can you make the music louder?
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 21, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »
That's pretty scary, Hopefully it won't be present on console.
Leona "That chick from high school you liked but thought she might be a lesbian,
or just a ***, she's in the army now..probably a lesbian"Heidern.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 21, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
PhoeniX, good find as usual.  I like how you always use visual aids in explanations, makes it super simple to understand.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
OK... I think SRK outdid themself with this KOFXIII guide:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII/Strategy

Who is responsible for this one?

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
that has actually been up for a week or two

pretty sweet huh.
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 21, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »
Reiki do you mean if they dont back step your hop will go over there head if they duck, is that what you mean?

If thats the case the opponent could just crouch sweep you or something.

hum it seems like a new layer of deph has been added with the back step. Curse you b,b lol.

Heck i'll just wait till they do b,b then use my kyo's ex orochinagi hehe.

If you mean back dashing one wake-up, I mean you'll be airborne after 1 frame. So really, you can't sweep them as they'll hop over it. However, there's more to it than that, it really just provides you with more options on wake-up or hard knockdowns that you usually didn't have.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 22, 2011, 03:58:51 AM »
OK... I think SRK outdid themself with this KOFXIII guide:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII/Strategy

Who is responsible for this one?

Sparkster, and it has been out for awhile.  I dunno, it's one thing to take pictures from the official Mook that we purchased and use it on the wiki, and although it looks super nice admittingly--it's another thing to rip the sprites illegally like that. 

I know photos from the Mook isn't exactly correct either, but the sprite ripping comes from the rom etc...

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 22, 2011, 04:04:18 AM »
So eh guys, once most of us have the game, how are we going to work on the wiki without a an official mook or guide?

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 22, 2011, 04:17:56 AM »
Sparkster, and it has been out for awhile.  I dunno, it's one thing to take pictures from the official Mook that we purchased and use it on the wiki, and although it looks super nice admittingly--it's another thing to rip the sprites illegally like that.  

I know photos from the Mook isn't exactly correct either, but the sprite ripping comes from the rom etc...

They don't look like sprites rips per say, they are taken from screen caps and then the the background is taken off. You can see the light effect that the Egypt stage cause to the sprites. So my assumption is that he took screen caps and just took the sprites. Also I say this because the sprites size is not the one from the sprite rips and the color schemes. Although the fireballs/effect could be from the sprite rips due to the black section they have.

Either way, I think this helps more than damage, since having the sprites help to visualize the strategy IMO.

mightfo

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 22, 2011, 05:53:42 AM »
Sparkster, and it has been out for awhile.  I dunno, it's one thing to take pictures from the official Mook that we purchased and use it on the wiki, and although it looks super nice admittingly--it's another thing to rip the sprites illegally like that.  

would you prefer they crop out screenshots from videos? I dont see how it makes a difference.
the article seems fantastic, i dont see why such a thing matters. its more helpful to kof's popularity and understanding of the game than abstract notions of "stealing" commonly presented images.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:10:35 AM by mightfo »
If you live around Dallas and play KOF, AH3, BB, GG, or MB, PM me~

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 22, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
Ah I see, I stand corrected.  I was under the impression the images were sprite rips from the illegal PC dump.  I don't question how much help it is to the community with the visual aids, I was just uncertain exactly how they got the images and how SNKP felt if (which apparently it isn't) about people ripping the rom.

PhoeniX

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 22, 2011, 01:19:44 PM »
Ah I see, I stand corrected.  I was under the impression the images were sprite rips from the illegal PC dump.  I don't question how much help it is to the community with the visual aids, I was just uncertain exactly how they got the images and how SNKP felt if (which apparently it isn't) about people ripping the rom.

Even if Sparkster did get it from the illegal rip. I think the community has long decided that it was okay to use it.

Do you really think that Don't Drop That Combo that has been plastered all over the front page uses the original game board? Don't you think it's a striking coincidence that those vids suddenly showed up the moment the game leaked?

And honestly, so far the rip seems to've done SNKP good. The input lag on the rip is so incredibly bad that it's unplayable. So the only thing you can do with it is test combos, and make screenshots, test frame data, record combo videos etc. etc.

If anything it gave the game more public exposure.

Now we could go into a long discussion of whether it's correct nonetheless. But I think we should go with the 'don't ask don't tell' approach and be done with it.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 22, 2011, 01:31:45 PM »
Do you really think that Don't Drop That Combo that has been plastered all over the front page uses the original game board? Don't you think it's a striking coincidence that those vids suddenly showed up the moment the game leaked?

Actually, that's why several of the sites including DC stopped putting Don't Drop That Combo on the front page.  On a personal note, we stopped it because of our affiliation with Atlus.

Definitely not a coincidence that the videos showed up the day the game was leaked.

And honestly, so far the rip seems to've done SNKP good. The input lag on the rip is so incredibly bad that it's unplayable. So the only thing you can do with it is test combos, and make screenshots, test frame data, record combo videos etc. etc.

Now we could go into a long discussion of whether it's correct nonetheless. But I think we should go with the 'don't ask don't tell' approach and be done with it.

I agree once again that, as a whole it has helped the community gain exposure but if you were working with the publisher on a weekly basis, you whole view would change about certain things as well.

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 22, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »

The only question is how convenient is it for the rip to be nerfed in that manner that it nicely fits into a marketing scheme for SNK/Atlus.

I think it was deliberate, but that's just me. It helped the community no doubt + exposure. Very clever.

Luigi-Bo 87

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 23, 2011, 12:37:56 AM »
Brand new here and didn't know where to post this. Is this throw big window known? Am I just going crazy???

KOF XIII : Input Bug or Lax Inputs???