Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 259666 times)

Ufgt

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)
« Reply #585 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »
Yes, Elizabeth 2 is super absurd for how little you actually need to do. Just gotta do command grab REALLY FAST and from neutral. Sometimes, DP will come out because of shortcut.

It's a dumb trial.

Siren

• New Challenger
  • I'm sorry, can you make the music louder?
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2011, 12:59:24 AM »
I don't see much of a point to it anyway. If a trial looks remotely useless, I just move on.
Leona "That chick from high school you liked but thought she might be a lesbian,
or just a ***, she's in the army now..probably a lesbian"Heidern.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2011, 02:46:54 AM »
I've gotten pretty comfortable with Clark's Neomax/Hyperdrive cancel. Doing anything but EX grab into Super and Neomax just isn't worth it with Clark though. Not that I'm complaining. Clark just needs to touch you once with 4 bars and that's easy 800 damage, 900 damage if he has 5 bars.

Cannot get the handle on Neo Max combos with my other 2 mains. I might switch to Claw Iori because his Neomax combos are easier than his Flame counterpart. Then there's Mr. Karate who looks BA but we shall see with him.

Billy's Raw Neomax is a really good AA too ;).
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 13, 2011, 03:08:53 AM »
It's quite funny, me and a couple of my friends were struggling with that Elizabeth trial like 4 in the morning. We woke up later that day and it was completed, none of us know who did it though lol.

LOL, I dunno why but I found this super funny.  Sounds like something that would happen to my friends and I.

Tropxe

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:40 AM »
Is it just me or do all trials start out sort of tricky, then get a lot easier, then at around #6 or #7 get harder and quickly become mind-meltingly difficult? It's more the early difficulty that stands out to me. In SSF4 I'd say there's a very smooth learning curve with the trials, and in BBCS from what I can remember.
My team so far: Vice | King | Most likely K', Kula or EX Iori

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 13, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »
Yes, Elizabeth 2 is super absurd for how little you actually need to do. Just gotta do command grab REALLY FAST and from neutral. Sometimes, DP will come out because of shortcut.

It's a dumb trial.

ok i fixed my vice problem (sc way 2 early). last 2 trials of her still remaining.

gonna try to fix that liz dilemma now.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 13, 2011, 06:08:40 AM »
^That is BioBooster translation: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1690.msg39327#msg39327

It even says so in iplaywinner.

MAASKYO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 13, 2011, 06:41:32 AM »
^That is BioBooster translation: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1690.msg39327#msg39327

It even says so in iplaywinner.

i removed my post ...sorry for repeating..

Nagare_Ryouma

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 13, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »
I have to admit that I don´t really understand exactly how some of the shortcuts work.
For example, with Shen you can make qcf+P and leave K press to cancel geki-hen into tenrenken and viceversa.
But in some situations it just doesnt work, it thought it was a more consistent thing, but it is not, in some situations you just have to do it manually.
An example I found of this is the following:
HD mode: qcf+D (tenrenken) press A (geki), qcf+D (tenren) and the opponent goes into the air and now, 2 things can happen:
-if you make qcf+D and hit him really low, you press A and you get the geki and then repeat qcf+D
-if you make qcf+D and hit him higher, and press A the geki won´t come out.
In that situation there is not diferent in the attacks, the only difference is if you hit the opponent closer to the ground, but that shouldnt affect the shourtcut, regular tenrenken is a 1 hit attack and if it hits the cancel should come out right away, the geki would probably miss, but that is not the point. The point is there seem to be little things that make the shortcut "available" or not.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 13, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
I have to admit that I don´t really understand exactly how some of the shortcuts work.

same for me. yesterday with lizzy during her trials (i finally did do 2, but don't know how, switched from analog to d-pad.)

during her othe trials i noticed that doing a ;fd ;dn ;df ;a and quickly pressing ;a again willl cancel her dp without going into super. all of a sudden after a couple trials it didn't work anymore in HD mode. i noticed that doing ;fd ;dn ;df ;a ;uf ;a did work, and after that it also stopped working. being happy with the shortcot i tried doing k's ;fd ;df ;dn ;a hold  ;fd press  ;c wasn't working either. some of these character shortcuts dont work properly or every time, i'd like to know if there's a certain criteria for it like how high you juggle or some other shit. not having all characters trials 100% is bugging me crazy.

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 15, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »

same for me. yesterday with lizzy during her trials (i finally did do 2, but don't know how, switched from analog to d-pad.)

during her othe trials i noticed that doing a ;fd ;dn ;df ;a and quickly pressing ;a again willl cancel her dp without going into super. all of a sudden after a couple trials it didn't work anymore in HD mode. i noticed that doing ;fd ;dn ;df ;a ;uf ;a did work, and after that it also stopped working. being happy with the shortcot i tried doing k's ;fd ;df ;dn ;a hold  ;fd press  ;c wasn't working either. some of these character shortcuts dont work properly or every time, i'd like to know if there's a certain criteria for it like how high you juggle or some other shit. not having all characters trials 100% is bugging me crazy.

lizzy is so weird. i noticed somethign strange too for example i cant DC her dp A or C if it is comboed after C fB, or at least it requires a different timing respect the usual dp DC.
the shortcut i use is simply dp then go neutral and press f.AC or just keeping f. after the dp and then AC but this way it wont come out after C f.B.i think maybe is it depending by the timing and if the opponents is very close to the ground ? and just after that combo it is not at the right height ? in any ither situation i can DC it very easily but not that way

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 15, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »
same problem as me, i could do it and the shortcut worked, till i tried it in hd combos and after  ;c ;fd ;b, shit dont work no more. im gonna try that other guys shortcuts, ;fd ;db ;fd than cancel that into  ;dn ;df ;fd.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 16, 2011, 12:48:42 AM »
For example, with Shen you can make qcf+P and leave K press to cancel geki-hen into tenrenken and viceversa.
But in some situations it just doesnt work, it thought it was a more consistent thing, but it is not, in some situations you just have to do it manually.
An example I found of this is the following:
HD mode: qcf+D (tenrenken) press A (geki), qcf+D (tenren) and the opponent goes into the air and now, 2 things can happen:
-if you make qcf+D and hit him really low, you press A and you get the geki and then repeat qcf+D
-if you make qcf+D and hit him higher, and press A the geki won´t come out.
In that situation there is not diferent in the attacks, the only difference is if you hit the opponent closer to the ground, but that shouldnt affect the shourtcut, regular tenrenken is a 1 hit attack and if it hits the cancel should come out right away, the geki would probably miss, but that is not the point. The point is there seem to be little things that make the shortcut "available" or not.

The reason is very simple: it's not about the height that's disabling your shortcut, it's more about your buffer time.  The time it takes from inputting your qcf.D to the time you press A (hitting late or high) would have erased your qcf motion buffer time.  Do it early and you'll still have the qcf motion buffered.

Same thing with Liz's dp+A --> [DC] qcf+A cancels; it'll work for her dp+A but not her dp+C since the move is slower and you'll lose the buffer.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 16, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Been watching some arcade vids and the difference in building meter when getting hit compared to the console version is really something.

Like in one of the console Dune matches posted the guy landed a HD combo on him but due to that combo Dune was able to build enough meter to HD combo him right back at the very start of the next. Basically the guy's downfall was the HD combo he pulled the previous round.

In a Kim combo that was posted (which used a whole bunch of air QCF+BD to keep the combo going), the opponent built almost an entire HD guage and 3 bars just thanks to that combo.

Is this making you guys reconsider what combos to use?

Also, started using the 1 frame back dash addition a little. Its very interesting for sure, came in very useful against a Clark user and a few other situations.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:43:26 PM by Diavle »

JuiceboxAbel

• New Challenger
  • KING of Fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 17, 2011, 01:08:29 AM »
I'm hoping to take a more active role in discussions about this game to further my own understanding of it. Glad to see you guys are active.

Did any of you catch my offline play on Neomaxico? You can catch the archive at
twitch.tv/neomaxico

I'm hoping for a critique. Currently my team is King/Andy/Robert so that I can grasp the fundamentals and apply them across all 3 characters more or less the same. I already know I need work on Andy and Robert's HD combos, though I would like suggestions for what their HD combos should be in general.

I think my experience with SF makes playing King really intuitive for me. I'm pretty sure she'll be first on my tournament team. Totally open to switching the others, so right now I'm learning more characters to see what playstyles I like. Probably going to learn Hwa next, I hear he's GDLK.

tl;dr

first post, hi guys, critique my play plz, keep the scene alive
I stream KoFXIII ALL THE TIME: Twitch.tv/juiceboxabel
twitter: @juiceboxabel