Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 259665 times)

krazykone123

Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 01:44:07 PM »
The lack of roll HD kinda sucks, is jump HD and bypass HD still in there?

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
The lack of roll HD kinda sucks, is jump HD and bypass HD still in there?

I'm sure They are still there as they were intended to be in the game and are made reference to in the Mook. The roll cancel HD was kinda left field.

---
Interesting discovery on the mechanics of HD bypass (Thanks to Ash for helping me pinpoint what exactly it was was):

-When doing light hit chains into HD, e.g d.B x2, s.B, HD here are the conditions--
1) if you press BC as soon as the s.B hits (early), it'll cause your player to activate HD but auto dash forward so you have to press s.C/D manually.
2) if you press BC a little delayed (late), it'll cause your player to do a s.C

Basically, if you just wanna do d.B, s.A, HD (s.C), --> hit the BC slightly delayed but if you're activating off a far poke like Shen, Iori, Vice etc...you'd want to auto-dash and hence press the BC as early as possible.

---
UPDATE:
Same mechanics apply with strong hits. So s.C, (slight delay) BC yields-->
s.C, BC, s.C (one less input)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:06:13 AM by Kane317 »

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 01:32:35 PM »
I guess that exp
Interesting discovery on the mechanics of HD bypass (Thanks to Ash for helping me pinpoint what exactly it was was):

-When doing light hit chains into HD, e.g d.B x2, s.B, HD here are the conditions--
1) if you press BC as soon as the s.B hits (early), it'll cause your player to activate HD but auto dash forward so you have to press s.C/D manually.

Basically, if you just wanna do d.B, s.A, HD (s.C), --> hit the BC slightly delayed but if you're activating off a far poke like Shen, Iori, Vice etc...you'd want to auto-dash and hence press the BC as early as possible.

---
UPDATE:

I guess this explains this where Ash dashes slightly forward after HD bypassing from b+B.

phoenix

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
The effect you'r edescribing Kane317 is pretty similar to kof2002 BC bypasses, except that there was no 'auto-dash'. But if you'd do a BC cancel early, you immediately go back to neutral, while if you do it slightly late B will come out. To have C come out instead you'd have to do it slightly late and input C~BC instead.

It's kind of odd that C comes out in XIII. Traditionally in KOF the priority of buttons was alwas  A>B>C>D so pressing a+b gave A, B+C gave B, C+D gave C and other combinations (hard to find good examples of this as many of these button combinations are mapped, but one of the examples is B coming out of a BC cancel).

So if I'm curious what comes out if you press BC in XIII, obviously HD mode activation, but once in HD mode, what comes out if you press BC, B or C? If C would come out that'd be quite a big break from a long standing KOF tradition.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 02:58:09 PM »
The effect you'r edescribing Kane317 is pretty similar to kof2002 BC bypasses, except that there was no 'auto-dash'. But if you'd do a BC cancel early, you immediately go back to neutral, while if you do it slightly late B will come out. To have C come out instead you'd have to do it slightly late and input C~BC instead.

It's kind of odd that C comes out in XIII. Traditionally in KOF the priority of buttons was alwas  A>B>C>D so pressing a+b gave A, B+C gave B, C+D gave C and other combinations (hard to find good examples of this as many of these button combinations are mapped, but one of the examples is B coming out of a BC cancel).

So if I'm curious what comes out if you press BC in XIII, obviously HD mode activation, but once in HD mode, what comes out if you press BC, B or C? If C would come out that'd be quite a big break from a long standing KOF tradition.

Ppl familiar with 2k2(UM) and even 2K will remember similar mechanics but XIII definitely feels more refined.   The auto dashing has been present since XIII but for awhile we couldn't figure out what the difference to trigger the hit versus the dash.  Very useful to know IMO.

EDIT:  Oops, I missed your second question.  I'll go test it out eventually.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:35:24 PM by Kane317 »

Twinsen

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
I don't know if it has been noted, but when in HD mode, overheads can be comboed when dones by itself.  Example  Vice in HD mode can do f.a overhead and then follow up with any of her command moves.  This can open alot of mind games. If they block say s.c, f.a you can go into HD mode and use f.a overhead and it will catch your opponent  if they are blocking low and then you can continue to your HD combo.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »
I don't know if it has been noted, but when in HD mode, overheads can be comboed when dones by itself.  Example  Vice in HD mode can do f.a overhead and then follow up with any of her command moves.  This can open alot of mind games. If they block say s.c, f.a you can go into HD mode and use f.a overhead and it will catch your opponent  if they are blocking low and then you can continue to your HD combo.

Indeed; HD makes all normals cancelable, including ones that don't normally (like Shen's far D etc...).

Twinsen

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 01:01:57 AM »

Indeed; HD makes all normals cancelable, including ones that don't normally (like Shen's far D etc...).

Didn't know HD made all normals cancelable, good to know.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2010, 06:38:28 PM »
Moved the Hwa Jai vs Joe discussion to the Hwa Jai section.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »

---
UPDATE:

I wanted to add something that helped with my timing (as I'm rhythmically challenged heh).  The timing for light hits into a delayed BC (s.C) is really like the timing for chaining light attacks.  e.g.  Use the timing for anyone's d.B, s.B, s.B for:
d.B, s.B, BC and it'll do -->
d.B, s.B, HD+s.C.

The concept is no different for strong attacks, s.C, BC, s.C however since strong attacks are slower to come out you can't really do it the same speed as the light attacks.  One way I think of it, is pretending that two s.C chain one after another so I press it visually.  Another way you can think of it, press the BC as soon as the window for canceling the s.C, has passed.

Once again, if you have no problem doing the 2k2 BC links then you can ignore all my tips since you can always auto-dash, and manually hit the s.C.

---
UPDATE2:
Added the shortcut dp motions = hcb~f to the first page.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:55:44 AM by Kane317 »

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 06:16:32 PM »
ok I'm confused a bit from something I saw in this video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Shnqd3hcEc

At around 5:05, K destroys Raiden and I noticed that during the EX moves the player uses, it uses up both the power stocks and the Hyper Drive meter. I thought when doing ex moves only the power stocks got used. Or am I missing something here cause later on in the video, some characters use EX moves and the hyper drive gauge does not get used.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
it was an EX move, cancelled by means of a drive cancel. it would have been a drive cancel anyway.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »

Ding ding ding, C is the correct answer (when in HD, pressing BC yields C).

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
Question for Kane:

In XIII, are character hit boxes mostly the same? What I mean is, in XII, Goro's hcf+C air grab could connect with some standing characters if they were tall enough. And Robert's f+A went over Chin's head, right?

I haven't noticed any differences like this in XIII. It feels as if, if a move connects with character A under certain circumstances, than it will always connect with character B under the same circumstances.

True/false?

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »
Question for Kane:

In XIII, are character hit boxes mostly the same? What I mean is, in XII, Goro's hcf+C air grab could connect with some standing characters if they were tall enough. And Robert's f+A went over Chin's head, right?

I haven't noticed any differences like this in XIII. It feels as if, if a move connects with character A under certain circumstances, than it will always connect with character B under the same circumstances.

True/false?

My quick answer is that I think there are still categories (small medium and large) but they are more general than XII.  I'll have to really pay attention next time (course there aren't that many small or large characters to begin with).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:37:23 AM by Kane317 »