Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 259746 times)

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:06 AM »
this might sound stupid but is there "Option Select" in KOF? Not that I remember...
ryo parry?
" you fight well in the old style"

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2011, 01:45:21 AM »
Also, Team Random is actually a new feature as previous games only featured single character random roulettes.

In KOF 2002 (original) , when you hold start to random choose, just press up or down to choose Team Random, which changes with each match.

At this moment i can't check if this is available pre-2002

In 2002um and KOF98um you had team random too

Waifu Material

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2011, 02:00:58 AM »
this might sound stupid but is there "Option Select" in KOF? Not that I remember...
ryo parry?

i guess i wouldn't consider that as an option select, since it only deals with one type of threat (non-DM striking). coupled with the fact that you have to choose between high and low and it also loses to throws. otherwise, by that example, any counter-type move would be considered an option select.

i guess for some of the older games f+C/f+D might be considered a pseudo-option select against tick throws/jump-in mixups. after the tick you'd break the throw/throw them/hit or force block of a s.C/s.D if they stagger pressure or feint.

KOF doesn't really use option selects as far as i can remember compared to other fighting games since you have evasive actions and pretty good options on block (GCCD/GCR) anyway.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »
Also, Team Random is actually a new feature as previous games only featured single character random roulettes.

In KOF 2002 (original) , when you hold start to random choose, just press up or down to choose Team Random, which changes with each match.

At this moment i can't check if this is available pre-2002

In 2002um and KOF98um you had team random too

Oh that's right. I forgot about that. Rofl

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
Yeah, I thought so. Am I the only one who thinks that OS's are cheap and noobish? However when pro's master OS makes it look like they got psychic power lol...
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »
Well kof does have auto block so once you start blocking you can input stuff, like a command throw, so if they mis-time their combos or whatever then they will instantly get grabbed.

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:49 PM »
Yeah, I thought so. Am I the only one who thinks that OS's are cheap and noobish? However when pro's master OS makes it look like they got psychic power lol...
yeah I really disliked a "certain"game . Because it was OS heavy, some. Can completely shutdown wake up up games too, and that's why sometimes its hell turtly.

I'm glad its not.so apparent on kof as it probably does have some in it
" you fight well in the old style"

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
Is the life you get back dependent on how offensive you were in the previous round? reason I ask is because I noticed in the recent 50+ minute video that a Shen user was getting nothing significant back in the life bar and then in the start of another round, they got a hell of a lot more life back.

this is the first time I noticed this in 13 because in previous games, it was always the same amount of life given no matter how you played.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
Is the life you get back dependent on how offensive you were in the previous round? reason I ask is because I noticed in the recent 50+ minute video that a Shen user was getting nothing significant back in the life bar and then in the start of another round, they got a hell of a lot more life back.

this is the first time I noticed this in 13 because in previous games, it was always the same amount of life given no matter how you played.

In KoF XII, your life return was determined by how much time was left on the clock. So if you finished matches faster, you got more health back. Winning at / near a time out restored barely anything.

I haven't payed much attention to if it works the same way in XIII, normally paying too much attention to the actual fights... but I'd assume it's probably similiar.

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
Yes it's time dependent.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
Damn mang, it feels like it's been weeks
Haha, right after i typed this i get Kusangi Style's updates:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufCOd9xu-NE

It still surprises how little people use Robert's Neomax, having zero frame startup and all. I know I will be abusing it from anything as an anti-air to punishing moves that are quick to recover on block.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »
For me is surprising no one use NeoMAX at all. Sometimes you see some in newbie videos or at the end of some combo, but that's all. In SFIV ultras are more used than neomax in KOF XIII, I think...

I guess people prefer to keep power stocks to enter a HD combo which can take more damage than a NeoMax... But neomaxes are a nice tool to do good amount of damage too, instead of trying enter a combo by jump > low light punch/kick again and again and again.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »
For me is surprising no one use NeoMAX at all. Sometimes you see some in newbie videos or at the end of some combo, but that's all. In SFIV ultras are more used than neomax in KOF XIII, I think...

I guess people prefer to keep power stocks to enter a HD combo which can take more damage than a NeoMax... But neomaxes are a nice tool to do good amount of damage too, instead of trying enter a combo by jump > low light punch/kick again and again and again.

Something you should keep in mind is that in SFIV there is an entirely different meter devoted ONLY to Ultra-ing.  If you DON'T Ultra then you really are just wasting your time.  In KoFXIII, a NeoMax is taken from the same meter as everything else (INCLUDING the HD bar).  It shouldn't be too too much a surprise that NeoMaxes are rare as hell!!

I think SNK did a good job because when a NeoMax does indeed get busted out it is REEEEALLY special-feeling.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »
I think SNK did a good job because when a NeoMax does indeed get busted out it is REEEEALLY special-feeling.

Very much agreed.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
Something you should keep in mind is that in SFIV there is an entirely different meter devoted ONLY to Ultra-ing.  If you DON'T Ultra then you really are just wasting your time.  In KoFXIII, a NeoMax is taken from the same meter as everything else (INCLUDING the HD bar).  It shouldn't be too too much a surprise that NeoMaxes are rare as hell!!

Yes, I keep in mind that... Many times you have to choose between perform neomax or keep stock bars. But rarely people choose neomax, is what surprises me. Win or lose with 3 bars in your stock without using them is a waste too, doesn't it?
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature