Author Topic: The Pros and Cons of Kim: Strategy & Matchup Thread  (Read 10529 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: The Pros and Cons of Kim: Strategy & Matchup Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
Pro :
- Deals more than the average (More than Kyo, less than Iori/Hwa Jai)

That's how i see him for now.

After more plays :
- Might be able to deals more than the average if only nearly 99% of the opening weren't from d.B (or if I didn't use a d.B after a jumping attack  :>) So Kim's output damage is in the average.
- Safe jumps everywhere
- Good frame traps
- Good air control
- Good zoning tools (far.C, far.D especially)
- Crazy pressure game, once you get on your opponent you can stick him until his death

Cons :
- Poor mixups (Except the High/Low after a knockdown)
=> 50/50 mixups crossup after some combos midscreen, in corner it's a traditionnal throw/ frame trap mixup but you are greatly advantaged.
- Can't deal that much without meter and have a hard time to build any, because he is laking of a practicable safe spacial move
=> Irrelevant since after landing one combo you start your pressure game which will open on more combos. At least one Ex bar is great.
- Higher requirement in terms of execution to do the optimized combo than the majority of the cast (A step aside Ash though)
=> Most of whose combos are useless except [far.D,d.B,s.B, ... ] which is difficult to confirm and to do but very powerful. In a corner opening d.B,d.B,s.B/s.C,ff.A,qcf.BD,s.D,qcb.B,d~u.D~d.D is worthing it too.
But you don't need to learn whose it's just a (great) plus.
- Kyo/Hwa Jai are better than him in roughly every situation
=> I think it's still true. But Kim's pressure is better than their.

So keep his pros, but his cons are:

- Can be easily zoned by fireball characters

- Lack of long range options, only strong mid and close range

- Some unsafe special moves

- Works best with a good amount of meter

Anyone agree or disagree? Anything else to add? Let me know because I would like to add this to the wiki soon.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
I forgot to add those weaknesses. But you don't especially need meter except for escape an harsh pressure or pass through an hadotrap.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:55:18 PM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
My gamestyle has quite evolved the last week end, a lot more sweeps, more patience.

And fireballs are not really a problem, you just have to guard them, and slowly walk between each projectile. Once you have one ex you can jump freely on your opponent and start applying your pressure.

Same thing, you don't really need meter, it's charging naturally while guarding or guard pressings, I was using it only for Ex hienzan, qcfqcf.B reversals, air qcb.BD and some killing combo.
It's still not in my game but I MUST spend more in break rolls to punish things or reverse a corner pressure at my advantage.

Have unsafe special moves isn't relevant since you don't let your opponent guard them.

Today I don't see the cons of playing Kim (except the fact some char are overall a bit better), the char is really strong and quite unique in his style. He just doesn't have some tools such has command throw and long range invincible move, but he doesn't need them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:39:33 PM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 03:53:40 AM »
Today I don't see the cons of playing Kim (except the fact some char are overall a bit better), the char is really strong and quite unique in his style. He just doesn't have some tools such has command throw and long range invincible move, but he doesn't need them.

I'm more in this boat as of now. Any cons I have with Kim are pretty much my own problems as of now. His pressure game is among my favorite of the whole cast. Even with the higher-level players, they forget about a lot of his frame traps and advantages when they try to rush him down like every other character. I think of all the characters lacking projectiles, Kim's got the best rushdown, partly because more launch him forward so quickly and often.

Still having problems with Saiki, but I just have to use his tools better.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Nagato1992

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

I'm more in this boat as of now. Any cons I have with Kim are pretty much my own problems as of now. His pressure game is among my favorite of the whole cast. Even with the higher-level players, they forget about a lot of his frame traps and advantages when they try to rush him down like every other character. I think of all the characters lacking projectiles, Kim's got the best rushdown, partly because more launch him forward so quickly and often.

Still having problems with Saiki, but I just have to use his tools better.

Saiki matchup is so bad for me too.  Up close it's not too bad, but long range can be a hassle.  Eventually, doing 236+ ;a in the air to get as close to the fireball without hitting it and staying outside of dp/super plays out and is pretty tough.

choysauce

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 02:23:55 AM »
i feel like against good zoners, you need to make them respect the EX air hangetsuzan.

Against someone you know who is good at anti airing, you need to just DO it, so you can show that you're not afraid to do it as a read.

then you can jump more freely against them (with meter of course).

but man i think Ash is even worse of a matchup, since you might be able to EX ground hangetsuzan against saiki's fireball startup (the fb startup is ASS slow).

but if you have meter you can do his flying super against it if you space it correctly.