Author Topic: Terry Bogard Combo Thread  (Read 43149 times)

blackgenma

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Bogard Combo Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
Anything you can think of to make it easier to read? Would hyphens helps?

I was thinking of a simple and to the point combo listing. just show the inputs and the damage values. the annoying thing about the combos when listing them is that he's got a number of valid starters for what are essentially the same combo. for example:

st.C df.C xx qcbhcf+P - (310)

you can also start the combo with any other of the starters listed too. but this information is basically the same as the 0 drive and 0 meter section. its redundant. if there's a suggestion I can make right away, maybe just say "all combos starting with st.C df.C can be also be started with "blah blah" at the top of the post so we don't have to see the same information posted twice.

but this bring into question which specific combo starter do we list and what criteria we base it off. its not too important, the simple combos are easy to understand and I don't think much hand holding is required.

or leave it as is. my only complaint is that its ugly to look at really.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:45:27 PM by blackgenma »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
I think setting Terry up for a block string is the way to get in for damage.

Here's how I like to approach it.

j.D (blocked), d.D (blocked), df+C, qcb+D =>

If they don't low B and they're not a grappler, you got this because the d.D insures they're blocking low for most of it. From here, you can do two things.

youd have to be stupid or not know the game if you keep blocking low after the d.D. terry has no ways to hit you low after cancelling the d.D, add the fact that ;dn ;db ;bk ;d is way more frames + on block when crouching and ex version basically becomes an instant overhead, why anybody that actually knows the game would keep blocking low after the d.D, is beyond me. now if terry still had his firekick (which he should have had imo) than id understand.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

x25a

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »

If they don't low B and they're not a grappler, you got this because the d.D insures they're blocking low for most of it. From here, you can do two things.

st.C (blocked), qcf+AC, dash, st.D, f+A [HDA], st.D (guard crush), f+A HD combo.

or

st.C (hit them), f+A, HD combo/ regular combo.

It gives you a lot of options really because you're like +2 if they block low so you're at advantage if they block it. If you hit them, you're most likely at neutral. That's the one thing I hate about qcb+D. If you combo into it, you don't get anything if they're standing.

I tested the above against Kyo in training mode and found the following:

If your opponent reads the qcb+D he can straight out beat it with a dp+A or trade with a d+C.  
The 2nd block string with the EX power wave is very risky, there is enough time to hop over it and hit a big punish.

Edit: you can actually just hold down and mash C with kyo and you will always trade with the qcb+D.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:04:01 PM by x25a »

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 01:53:13 AM »

youd have to be stupid or not know the game if you keep blocking low after the d.D. terry has no ways to hit you low after cancelling the d.D, add the fact that ;dn ;db ;bk ;d is way more frames + on block when crouching and ex version basically becomes an instant overhead, why anybody that actually knows the game would keep blocking low after the d.D, is beyond me. now if terry still had his firekick (which he should have had imo) than id understand.

'Cause they don't want to be sweeped and put into a knocked down situation. You don't have to be stupid or not know the game. A lot of characters can cancel their sweeps into specials which makes it safer. Kensou, K', Robert, Saiki, Ash, and Terry. Throwing out low light attacks into a staggered sweep is a basic tactic. It's even more useful because you can cancel it into df+C. Even if it whiffs, you can empty cancel into a fairly vertical command normal to keep them in their place.

I'm well aware that qcb+D has its disadvantages. That's why it's an option, but not using the tools because they're risky is just as dumb. I'm not saying abuse it, but I am saying it should be noted and used. You can also set this up from d.B, d.A, d.C or d.B x2~3 st.B so you don't have to do a sweep.

@x25: Kyo could probably low B into it. The point is that you're on block, and if I'm not doing it every time, you'll have to react to it. You could mash down C to trade, but there's a regular power wave, B crackshoot, or EX Power Wave. It's an option not a lot of people are prepared to answer if you spring it on them, which is what I'm saying. Each one can be used. This particular one leads to the best advantage, but you don't have to use it over and over again.

Aside from d.B, punish it with a dp (-10%) or a d.C (-7%) is not a huge gamble if that's all you're going to get off of it.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:57:28 AM by Reiki.Kito »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 06:29:19 AM »
Really digging Terry on 1st. Good overall fundamentals and he builds meter pretty quickly. I rarely jump in with him, but I don't really play Turtle. I use Crackshoot and CD to get in when I see it, but I almost dare them to jump at me so I can use his AA Super or Rising Taco.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

x25a

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »

'Cause they don't want to be sweeped and put into a knocked down situation. You don't have to be stupid or not know the game. A lot of characters can cancel their sweeps into specials which makes it safer. Kensou, K', Robert, Saiki, Ash, and Terry. Throwing out low light attacks into a staggered sweep is a basic tactic. It's even more useful because you can cancel it into df+C. Even if it whiffs, you can empty cancel into a fairly vertical command normal to keep them in their place.

If you land the sweep with Terry you can cancel it into qcb+B/D and it will give you enough time to throw an ex power wave that will pass over the opponent just as he wakes up.  It can only be guarded by holding back even if it hits behind the opponent(is this some sort of hitbox mess up?).

I'm well aware that qcb+D has its disadvantages. That's why it's an option, but not using the tools because they're risky is just as dumb. I'm not saying abuse it, but I am saying it should be noted and used. You can also set this up from d.B, d.A, d.C or d.B x2~3 st.B so you don't have to do a sweep.

@x25: Kyo could probably low B into it. The point is that you're on block, and if I'm not doing it every time, you'll have to react to it. You could mash down C to trade, but there's a regular power wave, B crackshoot, or EX Power Wave. It's an option not a lot of people are prepared to answer if you spring it on them, which is what I'm saying. Each one can be used. This particular one leads to the best advantage, but you don't have to use it over and over again.

Aside from d.B, punish it with a dp (-10%) or a d.C (-7%) is not a huge gamble if that's all you're going to get off of it.

I never said not to use them i just listed ways that they can be punished.  Its always best the mix up qcb+B/D to keep your opponent guessing which one you used. 

SoundlessADVIII

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »
I'm having a really hard time during the drive from the rising tackle into the power geyser. Anybody having any ideas on how to execute properly?
ParryFiend

Gimnbo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 07:58:06 AM »
I'm having a really hard time during the drive from the rising tackle into the power geyser. Anybody having any ideas on how to execute properly?

I think Reiki pointed out a while back that you can charge  ;dn and then go  ;db ;bk ;ub ;up to do the Rising Tackle and then buffer into Power Geyser by doing  ;db ;fd.

That said, I find that it's still not easy to pull off consistently.

slychivas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
Your right he did point it out that way, I can get it pretty consistently now and can be learned with that method.

But to buffer it in I do this  ;dn ;db ;bk ;ub ;up ;uf once the rising tackle hit's I cancel it into ;db ;fd.

I'm having trouble with his first HD combo in the trials mode, I can't get the final part of the combo that is, crack shoot, rising tackle, power geyser? The rising tackle always misses don't know when i'm supposed to cacnel the crackshoot into rising tackle, any tips?

SoundlessADVIII

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »

I think Reiki pointed out a while back that you can charge  ;dn and then go  ;db ;bk ;ub ;up to do the Rising Tackle and then buffer into Power Geyser by doing  ;db ;fd.

That said, I find that it's still not easy to pull off consistently.

thanks I'll try it. I'm just trying to master drive canceling. So I can master HD combos. So far the HD combos in trial seem pretty difficult. If its one thing I have to learn in this game is the HD combos which seem to pull off. At least for now til I get the timing.
ParryFiend

WINBACK

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
To offline serious/tournament players: what HD combo have you been using in matches that you rarely drop? Even after clearing all 10 Missions and watching videos (most of that is just flashy, showcase shit) I still haven't really gotten a hold of a solid-yet-practical Terry HD combo so I need something to start with. Also take screen-position into account, because I know the corner can affect most of Terry's HD combos.

In the meantime I've just been using HD Mode as a glorified hit-confirm into Neomax, meaning:
[2 bars] cl.C (2 hits)~f+A~[ACTIVATE] cl.D~f+A~Neomax.
[3 bars] cl.C (2 hits)~f+A~[ACTIVATE] cl.D~f+A~Buster Wolf~Neomax.

Both of them suck in the corner because of Terry's Neomax (and EX Power Geyser isn't much better as a replacement) but it's quick, easy damage that at least puts the HD gauge to use. I'd like something better though, so I thought I'd get some ideas from you guys. The only other thing I use the HD gauge for with Terry is Super Canceling into Buster Wolf or EX Power Geyser after doing qcb+A combos, but that's pretty expensive for half of your Drive Gauge.

Appreciate any help.
Yeah, in a basement.
You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one bein'...YOU'RE FIGHTIN' IN A BASEMENT.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
Honestly man, I wouldn't even bother with adding a HD combo to your game.  Terry already does 35-40% on 1 Drive, 1 Meter.  At the moment, the only reason you'd want an HD combo, is to make sure you finish an opponent when the match is on the line and the normal BnB won't get the job done, and honestly your short ones do that just fine.  Plus I don't believe there's any HD combos that actually push OUT of the corner, so Neomaxes in the corner are just worthless period.

Best thing to do for the corner is an elongated juggle combo into EX Buster Wolf.  The one I use every so often is cl.C xx f.A [HD] cl.C xx f.A xx QCB+A [HDC] d~u+P [HDC] QCB+C [HDC] d~u+P [HDC] QCB+C [HDC] QCB+D (4 hits), QCFx2+BD

The thing is though is that it's EXTREMELY spacing specific, and I don't mean horizontally.  If you do not cancel and juggle at the right times (aka as late as goddamn possible in order to get the right juggle height and also...you know, actually get the HDC), D Crack Shoot will not hit 4 times, and you won't be able to land jack shit after it.  If you can get it down though, that's two meters for solid enough damage to at least have in your corner when you think you need it.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

WINBACK

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »
Thanks. I noticed too that most people just stick to doing Drive Cancels after qcb+A (but they do something better than I do, like Crack Shot into EX Rising Tackle, so I'll try that). It makes sense seeing how practical it is.

I'll give that HD combo a try later on and see how it suits me. Does it make any difference if you use Rising Tackle A or C in those juggles?
Yeah, in a basement.
You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one bein'...YOU'RE FIGHTIN' IN A BASEMENT.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »
Well, yeah his BnB is (whatever starter) xx A Burn Knuckle [DC] B Crack Shoot, into either EX Rising Tackle or Buster Wolf (or normal Rising Tackle in the corner if you don't want to burn the meter).  I use Buster Wolf midscreen because it's pretty close in damage (only a couple points off) and it's a bit less finicky to land midscreen.  In the corner though, EX Rising Tackle all day.

Does it make a difference?  Maybe, I think I usually use C Rising Tackle, but you can try it with A too.  I don't really use it in matches and I've been working on Terry's normal and guard game so I haven't really practiced with it lately so I don't remember too well.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

x25a

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
Well, yeah his BnB is (whatever starter) xx A Burn Knuckle [DC] B Crack Shoot, into either EX Rising Tackle or Buster Wolf (or normal Rising Tackle in the corner if you don't want to burn the meter).  I use Buster Wolf midscreen because it's pretty close in damage (only a couple points off) and it's a bit less finicky to land midscreen.  In the corner though, EX Rising Tackle all day.

Does it make a difference?  Maybe, I think I usually use C Rising Tackle, but you can try it with A too.  I don't really use it in matches and I've been working on Terry's normal and guard game so I haven't really practiced with it lately so I don't remember too well.

For his Bnb its better to use Buster Wolf if you want to throw your opponent in the corner from mid screen and only use EX Rising Tackle when you just want to do max dmg.  I think its best to use the version of rising tackle he feels more comfortable with as it doesn't really do any difference.

In the meantime I've just been using HD Mode as a glorified hit-confirm into Neomax, meaning:
[2 bars] cl.C (2 hits)~f+A~[ACTIVATE] cl.D~f+A~Neomax.
[3 bars] cl.C (2 hits)~f+A~[ACTIVATE] cl.D~f+A~Buster Wolf~Neomax.

These are good to know when to use from midscreen.  You should add either qcf+C or qcb+A before the Neomax in as it will allow you to follow up after in certain situations(if you don't feel comfortable doing a qcb+A after you can simply use Buster Wolf if you have meter).