Author Topic: Metal Gear Rising: Revengance (series spoilers)  (Read 9252 times)

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengance (series spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
I'm OK with a MG game with Liquid as the main character, and by Liquid i mean Liquid Snake, not Liquid Ocelot, but the last one woulnd't be that bad.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »
Was going to make a long mention of this in the off-topic section, then decided to resurrect the old thread I made about it.

Konami Pre-E3 Show - Kojima Productions Segment

It's a weird space to be in now, to love everything about the series up to this point (including the plot/story elements of MGS2 & 4 which most don't like but I find a high-point to the series) and LOVE where Revengance is just as much.

Now Revengance is at that point in-between the '10 tech demo and the new work Platinum has put in, elements drawn from both. The action...THE FUCKING ACTION. I should say something like "Platinum. That is all," but I've never been into saying something is gold based just on who's making it (minus KojimaPro), but Platinum is getting there for me. All the different types of enemies I was hoping was going to be there was there, and the extra weapons and sense of stealth is a nice bit of icing on a cake. I wish I could say something about the story, but I really don't know much more than what's already known.

Most interesting part of all this to see the reactions. The fanbase is still really split, between action lovers (in the DMC, Bayonetta, Vanquish styles), and MG"purists". The only ones that seem to have any consistent validity in their negativity are those who outright say "I don't like to play games like Bayonetta, etc". The rest, it scares me to see how many people forget the details of MGS so much that they want to write this game completely off.

"What is this shit. Looks like DMC and not MGS" - It's not MGS it's MGR, a cyborg ninja title. And go play MGS1&4 to refresh your memory on the capabilities of a cyborg ninja.

"Ninjas should use stealth and hide around" - Because of their vulnerabilites they used stealth, which Raiden hasn't had a need for since MGS2. He was out in the open in a lot of MGS4 because he didn't need stealth.

"2010 Fox Engine looked and played better" - Looked better, I agree but I love how PG gets at least close to what was. Played better is a hell of a guess.

"The story sucks" - As with any MG game, it's best to have it in your hands to see where the story goes. There was more story reveals in the VGA trailer than the E3 one. I do hope some of the elements going over Raiden's past in those "Make it Right" trailers are there, just to see Solidus' treatment of young Jack first-hand. Other than that, it's most likely cannon, and can most likely be treated as a side-story (affecting only a few characters in the universe versus all of them like any MGS did). And like I said in a previous post, this is the wild west Liquid Ocelot told Snake would be happening with the Patriots and GW's plans destroyed. "After the fall of the Patroits, cyborg technology runs rampant, and information flows freely."Love how anti-Cold war that sounds.

"The integrity of the franchise is lost" - lots of people are saying this without exactly saying this, and I do understand where they're coming from. More than anything it's the trailer's presentation that give people a bad feeling. The music and editing are probably PG's contribution more or less. I hope the in-game will still feel more MGS-ish in some sense.

"I'd still pay full price for a release of that 2010 tech demo" - as big a fan of MG I am, I might too. But since they couldn't take it beyond that, I have to assume the best it could've been without out-sourcing to PG is a slightly open-world mini-game where you got to be Raiden and slash everything.

Well, my rant's over for now. Just hope people from MG and non-MG backgrounds give this a fair shake equally now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:03:08 AM by solidshark »
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 05:35:09 AM »
Honestly, that tech demo wasn't as great as people make it out to be.  Having that really slow slicing mechanic is all fine and dandy when facing enemies that stand completely still.  No way it would've been terribly efficient for combat.

And as we see there ARE some stealth elements in the game.  And while I've been the main one saying that there's absolutely no point in Raiden sneaking around, they could always find a way to force him too, for example a hostage situation or something of the sort so you can put at least some stealth in the game, but yeah, in the end it's unnecessary.

But yeah, back to the action, and yeah it looks damn good.  No surprise there.  What some of the MG "purists" that loved the tech demo seem to be missing though is that...with every new trailer, P* is actually reintroducing mechanics from the previous work into this game.  Last time we saw the whole precision slicing mechanic, and they've taken it to another level here.  Now they've reintroduced the whole cutting enemies for power or whatever (I completely forgot the name they used for it).  While they're bringing in their own spirit, they have no problems bringing back the spirit of what the game had before, and people seem to be missing that.

As for the story, the MG story was already ass, and on top of that...KojiPro is writing the story for this too...so they're hypocrites.  MGs work better when games are self-contained anyway.  MGS1 and MGS3 are miles more enjoyable when you aren't constantly thinking about the ramifications for the rest of the series.

But I'll let them hate, the game looks great, P* is definitely releasing greatness between this and Anarchy Reigns.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 04:14:19 AM »
Looks awesome so far. Kinda bummed that MGS fans seemed to be bothered it's not done by Kojima (which honestly, he's a very hit-or-miss writer IMO) himself so they dismiss it. Because yesterday I met a fan who pointed that out and told to at least give it a try. I have full faith in Platinum and honestly anything can be better than the crapfest that was MGS4's story. If they can run with the goofy, over-the-top action movie vibe, I think it'll work well. Kojima's actually a lot better when it comes to humor.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:23:34 AM by Proto Cloud »

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
Very happy that it is unstealth action by planitum. They chose the perfect developer, already had the story and art designs, just needed to bring the destruction.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »
It's still got some stealth elements though. You can definitely sneak up on your opponents and chop them to bits.