Author Topic: Terry Bogard (Arcade Version)  (Read 58396 times)

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Bogard
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
Have to admit I'm pretty bad at throwing in general. However, I've tried hopping and jump-ins, but I'll eat a DP or standing A because he's basically turtling. So except throwing, I have tried it, but I'm not getting progress against a very defensive and reactive Andy or Raiden.

I usually play the Terry vs Andy match up like this

Use crouching C into crackshot B to get yourself closer with the block stun and turn it into a 50/50 situation.

Walk towards the opponent spamming  the stand B and hit confirm into EX burning knuckle/ or ex crackshoot to keep the block stun or getting ready for the next mix up.

Just letting you know that if the andy player uses a zeineken move on your block stun (andy is on negative!) which means you can punish with stand b into HD mode. or you can do stand B into Ex Burning knuckle!Just make sure you have fast hands because linking stand b into ex Knuckle does involve some quick reflexes and execution.

If andy is spamming down D on your jump- ins- i suggest you practice delaying your Jump D to at least trade with andy since terrys jump D comes down at an angle.

A good andy may be able to jump over your rising tackle...so i would suggest anticipate your opponents jump ins and give them a DF+C instead!

Jumping straight up is not the best option if the opponent is spaming fireballs at you because in given situations andy can still run in and sweep you while you're jumping up in the neutral position. I Suggest mixing things up by jumping back and forth / running in to keep on your toes and surprise them and punish accordingly thru a broken defense!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSw0cyEZwek#t=1m22 You can fast forward to 1:30 area and see how I would play Terry in general matchups. Good luck!  (Link fixed -Kane317)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:30:54 PM by Kane317 »

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies and the footage! I've read your advice and I'll try them all out.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
so jhon, how are you liking joe thus far? or didnt you try to put him into your team?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
so jhon, how are you liking joe thus far? or didnt you try to put him into your team?

I usually place Joe First for his excellent frame trap game. Overall though i don't enjoy playing him because his combos do not look flashy enough =/
I'll try to give him extra love this week and see if he qualifies for my effective line-up.

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »
I usually place Joe First for his excellent frame trap game. Overall though i don't enjoy playing him because his combos do not look flashy enough =/

The sole Japanese Joe user (white tiger shorts) pulled a really cool looking corner combo using EX and DC (sorta looked like his pre-patch infinite) in one match vid. Not only did it look good but it resulted in a stun, Takuma style.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:45:00 PM by Diavle »

l2slythe

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »
A good andy may be able to jump over your rising tackle...so i would suggest anticipate your opponents jump ins and give them a DF+C instead!

Down C huh?!
PSN- MrGreen-AI

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:46 AM »
I've been doing pretty good lately. My Terry gameplay has improved a lot with all of your help. I'm practicing throws and giving it an honest shot.

I will try that 3C (DF+C) as an anti-air. I've been working on it bit by bit. Another thing I'd like to ask is about block strings. Is there a list of these that are safe? I'm not sure because there are a few things I've tried like d.B, d.A, df.C, qcb+a and I'll eat a throw or maybe get poked by low D if he's fast.

So, if I know like a combination of block strings, maybe to rip up some guard meter, but mostly to just apply offensive pressure on turtles, I'd appreciate it.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2011, 05:32:30 AM »
crackshoot is safe. light burning knuckle seems safe from max distance. i dont know if powerwave is fast enough to be used in blockstrings, they might be able to roll/jump it.

@ mr kof, i think most of joes flashy combo options are when he gets his opponents into the corner. but if you have bar i think this should be doable since he can push his opponents backwards a lot by comboing. you could try to combo his slashkick into exslash kick, i wonder how far that will push them to the corner and what the juggle oppunities are without wasting bar or as lil bar afterwards. if his  ;dn ;db ;bk ;d can be done afterwards theres a good chance yoy can get them in the corner and juggle them hard for good damage. joe seem really interresting imo, worth it.

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »
crackshoot is safe. light burning knuckle seems safe from max distance. i dont know if powerwave is fast enough to be used in blockstrings, they might be able to roll/jump it.

@ mr kof, i think most of joes flashy combo options are when he gets his opponents into the corner. but if you have bar i think this should be doable since he can push his opponents backwards a lot by comboing. you could try to combo his slashkick into exslash kick, i wonder how far that will push them to the corner and what the juggle oppunities are without wasting bar or as lil bar afterwards. if his  ;dn ;db ;bk ;d can be done afterwards theres a good chance yoy can get them in the corner and juggle them hard for good damage. joe seem really interresting imo, worth it.

Terry players should never attempt using the burning knuckle in block strings. I suggest using block strings St.D, Df+C, into Ex Wave and creating another block string that will bring them into the red guard crush meter area. Force the opponent to panic by rolling and punishing while continuing the guard crush pressure =P. If you have comments about Joe please message me since this is solely a Terry Bogard  section =P I will say that Joe does play like King IMO. I'll most likely play him in casuals more often now =P

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
just kinda curious, since with terry in 13 your either the best or second best terry player ive seen from vids. how would you compare yourself to whiteshorts joe from the jpn vids (the one who does some good owning with him).

also does terrys powerwave come out fast enough for a legit blockstring? what about terry ex powerwave. also, can the ex power wave be used in combos? like standing  ;c into ex powerwave? i doubt it, otherwise it might be possible to jump in attack, st.  ;c, ex powerwave, jump in attack again, st.  ;c, expowerwave etc.

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »
just kinda curious, since with terry in 13 your either the best or second best terry player ive seen from vids. how would you compare yourself to whiteshorts joe from the jpn vids (the one who does some good owning with him).

also does terrys powerwave come out fast enough for a legit blockstring? what about terry ex powerwave. also, can the ex power wave be used in combos? like standing  ;c into ex powerwave? i doubt it, otherwise it might be possible to jump in attack, st.  ;c, ex powerwave, jump in attack again, st.  ;c, expowerwave etc.

I can safely say that i understand Terry the most down here. Others like No.17 have said no one in Japan uses Terry like i do. I will leave it to others to judge if i have the best Terry in 13. I would say White shorts Joe player is the best when using Joe....but by skill level he should be ranked in the upper middle class or high low class. Terry users don't have the frame trap game like joe..but they are counter parts due to being in team Fatal Fury! onto other responses...A well read Ex wave would get punished pending on a character and having meter is a big factor.It's more than just a simple block string...Playing terry requires being fierce and having a strong yomi to have your opponent not predicting an Ex wave. I personally haven't been punished for the Ex wave block string. An ex wave doesn't combo as a regular up close string. It's very useful to throw out Ex wave full screen(safely) and either put it at 50 50 for the person to jump in to a buster wolf or land on the projectile to eat a combo. You're last resort would have them stay put and keep them on block stun if they chose to stay on the ground continue the 50/50.I'ts hard to explain...but playing terry effectively isn't easy!

Down C huh?!

Terry DF+C isn't looked down on compared to Down C! The legendary wolf should never be questioned!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:25:10 AM by Kane317 »

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
My Terry needs more mid-screen combos.

So, I've been experimenting with Rising Tackle (DC) Crack Shoot (D version). It looks cool, but I've only been able to follow it up with EX Geyser. And while EX Geyser juggles them higher, but I was having trouble connecting anything afterward. It's weird, because EX Buster Wolf is usually pretty easy to catch juggled opponents with, especially in the corner. Maybe my timing was off?

Is there any way to extend this combo mid-screen?

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
ive been asking the same questions, doesnt seem so though. i had the same idea cept the RT cancelled into BK like in those hd combos where you cross sides with the BK. if it had been possible it would have been nice, being able to cancel a RT into BK and crossing sides, juggling again for free with CS into TS or BW, but doesnt seem it works.

also i wonder how much this simple terry combo would cost. jump  ;d, st.  ;c (2 hits),  ;df ;c,  ;dn ;db ;bk ;a + ;c, (dc),  ;dn ;db ;bk ;d,  ;dn ;up ;a + ;c.

2 bars 1 DC.

if by sacrificing both DC bars it might be possible to get them high enough for a juggle afterwards? something like:

jump  ;d,   ;c (2hits),  ;df ;c,  ;dn ;db ;bk ;a + ;c, (dc)  ;dn ;up ;c (1 hit, dc),  ;dn ;db ;bk ;a + ;c,  ;dn ;db ;bk ;d,  ;dn ;up ;a + ;c.

if possible both DC bars and 3 super bars would be spent. but what damage will it do, more than your standard normals combo into neomax (also spending 3 bars and full dc?). if it does or more the same, this combo might be possible just before you hit 3 bars and 2 dc meters, cause during the combo it owuld fill your bad (cause your not in hd mode). also if this last combo is not possible it might be possible the other way around, by doing the  ;df ;c, into  ;dn ;up ;c (dc),  ;dn ;db ;bk ;a ;c,  ;dn ;up ;a ;c (dc),  ;dn ;db ;bk ;d,  ;dn ;up ;a + ;c

in this last example, if the damage difference from ex BK and  ;c BK isnt too big, you could use the standard  ;c version to conserve bar. in the upper combo the first one would have to be an ex since  ;c version doesnt combo from  ;df ;c, the second one could be done with  ;c version though.

last edit: happen to have a chance to ask No.17 who the best 13 player in jpn is? oogosho was kicken some ass real hard, and i know ive seen at least 2 other players (k user though) who seem at least on par with oogosho. i know, lots of q's for 1 post, lol.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:25:37 PM by MUSOLINI »

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2011, 08:13:11 PM »
In general if you're doing non-HD drive cancels, it's not a good idea to drive cancel twice in the same combo because of damage scaling. The only time you'd really want to do this is to finish the match.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
I just wanted to clarify.

So
Blockstring #1:
Standing D, df.C, qcf+AC -->

Block string #2:
d.B, d.A, df.C, qcf+A/qcb+b

Right?