Author Topic: EVO 2012 discussion  (Read 44708 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
EVO 2012 discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »
Well if a lot of people had their way, there wouldn't be a single Capcom game at EVO.  But they have the biggest numbers and bring the most comp from overseas.

But yeah, SFxT is the big blight on this lineup, but who the hell knows?  Maybe Capcom will wake up and put it back to the way it was in the E3 Build (Or whatever the build was that was up to Dhalsim...I'm really bad with knowing which build is which for this game).  Unfortunately too many people are talking about the wrong problems for that game, so it's likely doomed.

On the bright side, this is probably the last EVO 3 Capcom games make it in.  I don't see both AE and SFxT making it the next year, because either SFxT will bomb (and thus it wouldn't surprise me if Capcom kept doing support for AE) or SFxT turns out surprisingly not horrible, and Capcom finally lets AE rest.  And even if both are fine, I doubt Wiz is gonna want to run 6 games again, he seemed very tentative to even do it now.

And yeah, if a Mod can move all this discussion to like a newly made thread somewhere that relates to EVO, that'd be nice.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: EVO 2012 discussion
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
i am very glad that kof13 and sc5 made it in(even if sc5 isnt out yet, it seems quite solid and loved from pre-release play, and iirc sc4 had good turnouts before despite having lots of problems, sooo)
obviously i wish bb was in, but i can understand that since it seems to have had less entrants at tourneys than mk9 and such, that they'd put mk9 or whatever over it. size and effort is what it is. this seems to have lit a fire under the bb community's ass, so hopefully it will make it stronger in the long run. side tourneyyyy
also, people use the word "dead" way too liberally.

lol at sfxt being in though. i have seen virtually no hype for that game. i guess people will play it in huge numbers just because it is a capcom game, but..i dunno. Even when MVC3 and SF4 got hated on, they always had huge amounts of hype prerelease and such that sfxt just doesnt seem to have.

Saitsu is a bit right on how the BB comunity sometimes screw themselves

For example, when the whole fiasco of the type x2 being ''emulated'' with a brand new vainilla continuum shift being avaliable for everyone, the BB decided to not participate on EVO in the calamity trigger tournament because everyone was playing illegally the new version

Don't know if that was effectively like that or was just an excuse to not put CT on evo 2010, but regardless, is stupid to not play something with the excuse that a new version will come out

No, that decision was not stupid at all.  CT was a completely ass game that didn't deserve to be at EVO. Additionally, top players were playing CS at places like arcade infinity. Scene was already split, the leak just made CT completely abandoned, as it should have been. CT at EVO would have been about as hype as KOF12 being at EVO when top players were playing arcade KOF13. undesirable.

Yeah, the BB community keeps shooting itself in the foot with bad decisions consistently. It also doesn't help that their showing at EVO was lacking any sort of hype and that ASW refuses to make significantly good revisions. It's a real shame, because CT was a great start.

The fact that you call CT a "Great start" and think the revisions weren't good shows that you really don't know what you're talking about.

also, BB top 8 was hype as fuck.

in any case, congrats kof13 and sc5~

It was still stupid because you need to show the game a his first iteration even to earn some hype, vainilla SF was stupid as CT, but they still went on it and showed how the game was, even the arcade infinity excuse is not good since I doubt that all the players could play it religiously, it will be like determining to make a 1.1 Tourney just because some guys were playing it at southtown

Waifu Material

mightfo

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »
It was still stupid because you need to show the game a his first iteration even to earn some hype, vainilla SF was stupid as CT, but they still went on it and showed how the game was, even the arcade infinity excuse is not good since I doubt that all the players could play it religiously, it will be like determining to make a 1.1 Tourney just because some guys were playing it at southtown
It was more than just arcade infinity. It was a really obvious decision for everyone because other games would make better use of that spot(MVC2, MBAA) and the top players in Cali, EC, Texas, etc weren't going to go back to an awful version when they were playing the new one for almost 8 months. The majority of top players had moved on for a long time, the intermediate players who could play the leak did that, and those who didnt just waited. It would have been terrible, no matter what.

Vanilla sf was less inherently flawed than CT. I promise. I hate playing SF4 and I will say that.

CT was rather antihype. It was fun to play to some extent but fucking stupid and it wasnt really tournament worthy. Again, would you really use KOF12 to hype people for KOF13? Would you expect people to support a tournament if most of the top players were, at the point in time, very used to KOF13? Oh boy, watch intermediate players play a shitty game at EVO. No, the scene wasn't going to do that, MVC2 deserved that spot more, period.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:22:11 AM by mightfo »
If you live around Dallas and play KOF, AH3, BB, GG, or MB, PM me~

oricon

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 12:22:34 AM »
SF x Tekken wont bomb at all regardless of the whole gem fiasco, tournaments would just ban them out right if the gem selecting process takes too long also Seth Killian confirmed i think just recently there's a mode online without the gems mechanic. SFxTekken deserves to be at evo and it's pretty much guaranteed to have near the same amount of entrants compared AE2k12

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
But I will say again, Gems and Pandora are not the problem with SFxT.  As long as people think that they're the problem, SFxT will stay as meh as it is now.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

mightfo

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »
SFxTekken deserves to be at evo
citation needed
not saying the game doesnt have a chance of being good, but we dont have a lot of reason to believe it will be.
If you live around Dallas and play KOF, AH3, BB, GG, or MB, PM me~

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »
SFxTekken deserves to be at evo
citation needed
not saying the game doesnt have a chance of being good, but we dont have a lot of reason to believe it will be.

SFxT fixes two things (which they already had right at one point), it has a chance to be one of the better games in the EVO lineup.  The question is, will the stupid hivemind get their heads out of their asses long enough to see that Gems and Pandora are just distracting them from the real problem.

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
I love BB, but after going to the last evo and a local tournament recently, I'm not surpised it didn't make it. There just isn't enough people playing. It's not hard to predict both SCV and SFxT will both bring in more entrants than BB. This is especially true with SFxT as it has the advantage of appealing to 2 very large existing fanbases. The fact that these games aren't quite out yet doesn't make much of a difference in this case. The evo organizers clearly think these games will get better numbers than BB and I don't blame them.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:19 AM »
It was more than just arcade infinity. It was a really obvious decision for everyone because other games would make better use of that spot(MVC2, MBAA) and the top players in Cali, EC, Texas, etc weren't going to go back to an awful version when they were playing the new one for almost 8 months. The majority of top players had moved on for a long time, the intermediate players who could play the leak did that, and those who didnt just waited. It would have been terrible, no matter what.

Vanilla sf was less inherently flawed than CT. I promise. I hate playing SF4 and I will say that.

CT was rather antihype. It was fun to play to some extent but fucking stupid and it wasnt really tournament worthy. Again, would you really use KOF12 to hype people for KOF13? Would you expect people to support a tournament if most of the top players were, at the point in time, very used to KOF13? Oh boy, watch intermediate players play a shitty game at EVO. No, the scene wasn't going to do that, MVC2 deserved that spot more, period.

That example is not fair, KOF XII was completely bad, CT even though has some ugly top tiers, it was still really playable

Hell, if the majority of the community has access to CS then the community wasn't that big to begin with it, since I doubt that the 200 players had access to it, even using the event to show fans how the game was could have been a big plus, and hype more the release of CS which would had appeared on 2 more weeks, I'm sure that some buys could have been earned

Waifu Material

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »
No, trust me, it was not hard to play CS if you really wanted to.  If you're a player that had the ability to go to EVO and play BB, you probably were already playing CS.

This difference between now and then is, then, they were already playing the sequel in depth and were practicing up on it.  They had already moved on from CT and had preferred CS.  Very few would want to go back, practice a game they didn't like for the express purpose of playing it once, and then forgetting it exists again.  For all intensive purposes, the sequel was already out.  It'd be like everyone playing Ultimate MvC3 for a month and then EVO says "Oh by the way guys, you have to play Vanilla for EVO".  Yeah, no. 

Unlike now where, outside of demo opportunities, very few from what I know have their hands on Extend.  It's not like everyone's playing it and they have to go back to CS2, CS2 is what they have now.  It's what the majority is playing now.  Thus that's the game you play until the new shit comes out unless you straight don't like CS2.  You shouldn't sit on your ass saying "Well...I like CS2...but Extend is coming out in two months which makes this thing useless, time to put it away and not bother playing it with anyone until then".  Like, I don't get that.

Yet again though, I'm not part of the community, so if Zabel or someone else wants to shed light as to why BB players do this, and why it's completely justified for you guys, then please by all means, share.

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »
Most people serious into BB have CSEX already, most everyone has ikmported it and sees that it's a superior game to CS2 so we see no real reason to keep playing it, that's pretty much it. Hell alot of people that left around CS2 saw the changes in CSEX and were planning and still are planning to come back.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:06:08 PM by Zabel »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
You know, now that I think about it, maybe a little blame could go to Aksys for not localizing their games a bit sooner.  I mean, they seem to be doing better at it than they were at the beginning with CT and such, but having such a span like this does not help matters at all.

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
Yeah the localizing thing is a little annoying, arcade getting it before us isn't that bad but when they're such a gap between hte Japan and US release *And worse if you're EU, but that's another situation entirley*. bSo glad P4U is gonna be a simultaneous release.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »
So yeah, while I still disagree with not support the current game you have a bit more...Aksys should probably get the games out here a bit quicker so it's not a problem to begin with.

Ufgt

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 12:41:59 AM »
So, did they say if it would be PS3 or Xbox360?