Author Topic: Tier lists and Character Discussion Thread  (Read 157618 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Tier lists and Character Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »
For reals? Don't us duo, but was watching some vids mentioning j.B>jf.B could no longer be done, tried for a bit in practice and couldn't pull it off. D-:
They mean the instant overhead fuzzy setup on wakeup doesn't work anymore.

Yeah that, is a damn shame...one of the main reasons so many Japanese players took a liking to him.

Terrastorm

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »
http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/kof13/index.html#ya0-trjm2yn82xb74ni16j8l6ld64ne787pg5nlp8d506ole4mjv6jjs8d6p6mhw4ogb4rex32lr6ilg2xcb6jg86kah8c994o5pjycb8anb4ppj7fjm4pnl6ghy8cad6ke76jd32y9c2z7c4qb62y-bk6

Bala, Romance and the answer tier list

*Hides in a bunker*
The exaggerations in the videos here and the not really explaining why characters are where they are make it hard to take seriously.

domezy

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2012, 01:18:14 AM »
I just saw and watched the video for the tier list this morning. I've been playing Yuri since console release and just picked up Ryo a couple days ago because I felt he is a super solid battery choice. I'm pleasantly surprised they put those two so high up in the tiers next to K' and Hwa. But they are really solid characters so I can understand their reasoning.

In general the entire list looks ok, you can switch a couple characters slilghtly here and there and it wouldn't be too big of an argument. The only choice I saw that really bothered me was how low Kula is.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:22:08 AM by domezy »

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2012, 03:57:12 AM »
^Hey what tier vid are you talking about? If it's recent, mind posting the link?

Cheers!

domezy

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »
http://www.twitch.tv/theanswerkof#

they start talking about tiers around 45 mins I think. Although I agree with what they said about console Leona being very unsafe now and meter dependent, I think they overexaggerated with her placement on the chart. Alot of explanations on some of the other characters were also either vague or "I'll take these guys words for it they main them" from The Answer.

Over all its looks like decent placement for most of the cast. It may be the whole english is not their native language thing but I hope they can re articulate their reasonings more clearly in the future.

The tier list itself is at least a starting point for one. The game is new, with more people playing it across the world so we'll definitely see changes in the future as tier lists are ever evolving.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 05:12:38 AM »
Thanks man will def peep this. The explanations r always the important part.

I'm amazed at how compressed the tiers are in general for an fg. The much feared karate factor hasn't exploded yet and may stay that way - we'll see.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Dandy J

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
Dark Geese just loves Billy a lot I think! I do really like him too but putting him with Kyo's and Ioris is a bit nuts. Also I really enjoyed watching this vid, I wish there was more stuff like this. I really like discussing character rankings, strengths and weaknesses, I wish it didn't end up in flame wars so much.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
Yeah, I enjoy talking about chr strengths as well. You get caught up on new tech/strategy and find out what other people find to be effective. Heh, if peeps have beef with the opinions of others, time to break out the stick and prove your point in a match :D

ELTRO

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
Only way you can have a discussion of this form is to do a semi podcast with serious players (the one who knows what they're talking about or doesn't spaz out if you do not agree). When I talk about tiers I go by what I see in matches but mostly option in terms of how he deals with the cast. You can have a character with easy 100%, that may be an advantage but that's not the deciding point. Another reason why I like talking about tiers is that you find out something new about the character. The people who goes "FUCK THE TIERS" is unnecessary. Just don't post ;)
Main team: K, Kyo, Iori(claw)
Secondary team: Ash, Robert, Shen
Third team: Ryo, EX Kyo, EX Iori (my 98 team)

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
Man ppl really hate Leona lol.

Blood Feast Island Man

• New Challenger
  • h8
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

KoF players think technical characters suck?

b4k4

• New Challenger
  • In the 37th Chamber
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »
I have to admit, I was playing her when I first took up this game, but I soon left for other characters. That was before I'd seen any contention about her tier placement. My decision was more based on ease of hit confirms (though there may have been a correlation there between my difficulty with that and just being new to the game period), and start-up time of specials. d,u+P is obviously an excellent move, but qcb+K is very difficult, if not impossible to use against an opponent with good reactions. I find it only catches people who don't really know the move. Even b,f+A seems relatively slow to come out. It stays out forever, yes, but it controls a very limited amount of space and has a large start up time.

I don't know if I'd definitively put her on the bottom, but I will say that she felt she was lacking tools where other characters felt much more intuitive.

JuiceboxAbel

• New Challenger
  • KING of Fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
The proposed tier list by Bala and TheAnswer:

A+: EX Kyo, Mr. Karate, Saiki, Robert, Kyo, Iori, Benimaru

A: EX Iori, Clark, Goro, Shen, Yuri, K', Hwa, Kensou

B+: Andy, Ryo

B: Kim, Mai, Duo Lon, Ash, Mature, Billy, Vice, Elisabeth, Raiden, Takuma, Maxima, Chin

B-: Athena, King, Terry, Ralf, Kula, Joe

C: Leona
----------------
I'm not good enough yet to have an informed opinion on these character placements. But I'm glad they sat down and did this.

I don't like that King is down there but I can't disagree with their reasoning. Regardless, she fits my playstyle so I don't see myself ever not using her.
I stream KoFXIII ALL THE TIME: Twitch.tv/juiceboxabel
twitter: @juiceboxabel