Sakazaki Dojo > Training Room

Gameplay video critiques

<< < (20/20)

Crazy Li:
Been a while since I posted in this thread. My older videos were a lot of me getting beat by people who used unsafe or bad tactics. I thought I'd come back with a match against a respectable player at the very least (even though I'm sure he's not playing me seriously here).

Against the advice of many, I took a break from trying to drill combos into myself because I realized I wasn't even putting myself in positions to start combos often enough. Sure, against low level players, I can just block all day and wait for a punish opportunity... but whenever I play someone better than me, those chances are few and far between. Instead, I need to learn how to open them up myself... to go on the offensive.

So my focus in the past couple of months has been more centered around trying to figure out how to get combos started. No, I'm not doing big damage and I'm not doing anything fancy. I don't think that's measuring my success right now. I'm not trying to win matches necessarily at this point... just improve my ability to see/create openings for myself. That said, all my combos are going to be small and basic since I'm just practicing the theory behind things... if I can get myself to a point where I can get a lot of chances to break off basic combos, I can always substitute those basic ones for larger ones. Knowing the full combo ahead of time isn't important IMO... I can always grind that out at a later date once the technique is in place. If you know any given combo with your character is likely to start from the same low or jump-in normal... you can replace what comes after the initial hit with anything. But if I never get to a point where I can begin inputting the motions in the first place, I feel practicing the better/optimal combos is a waste.

Obviously, I'm nowhere near there yet. As the linked video clearly illustrates, I have glaring holes in my neutral and don't really go on the offensive at all... I'm always running and defending and need to find a way to turn the tables and begin applying pressure to the opponent instead. Once I achieve this goal, I think I'll put serious effort into increasing the damage I'm converting... but first step is to convert in the first place.

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

BodyOrgan:
Just sweep.

The Good Loser:

--- Quote from: BodyOrgan on December 16, 2015, 07:41:11 PM ---Just sweep.

--- End quote ---
cheeky little devil aren't you X)

BodyOrgan:

--- Quote from: The Good Loser on December 18, 2015, 04:59:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: BodyOrgan on December 16, 2015, 07:41:11 PM ---Just sweep.

--- End quote ---
cheeky little devil aren't you X)

--- End quote ---
Na, I'm just giving the best advice you'll ever receive.

erythrocytes64:
https://youtu.be/8hFmwgDrxxA

First time against a good grappler player online in KoF '98 (Fightcade). There was some lag so if occasionally I do something really stupid (like Terry's f+A), that's probably it. (Plus it was my 5th game vs a living opponent overall)

I admit I don't usually use grapplers, but playing against Vice made me reconsider. My biggest avoidable mistake was not blocking low, I realized it halfway through the games. Vice can and does cancel cr.B, and that hurt me more than anything else.

But beyond that, there are certain tactics I'm not sure I know how to respond to: for the most part, the player used rolls to get behind me while I did standing attacks, then use an invincible throw. I didn't know Vice very well, so I assumed it was not invincible, but on the 10th grab it became apparent that it was (confirmed through FBA with collision boxes turned on).

It's pretty hard to react to, and I didn't use throws as much as I had to in that match. But what surprised me was how easily he could roll behind me and just do a throw—I never could hit him on the ending frames of the roll. I again checked this in FBA: the results were inconsistent, but 50% of time I could roll behind a player who mashed cr.B or cr.A and grab him with an invincible throw.

The obvious choices are to hop with/without attack, or simply move away from them. But it requires reaction, or maybe better reads. Plus, something irks me about just escaping from a grappler—I wish their actions made them eat a dip hit and a combo off it, but it just doesn't happen, plus grab whiff animations are ridiculously short. People also suggested meaties to me… but it requires a precise timing, because the character has to attack in the correct direction. With a normal grab, this isn't a problem, because you can press forward or back and the grab will still come out.

So I think like I'm in an unequal situation here… Please help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version