Author Topic: Gameplay video critiques  (Read 61916 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay video critiques
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
http://youtu.be/LW-H4eejEbs

http://youtu.be/Jxg_boIdkIs

Recent footage of me in a local tournament. I'm playing King/Kyo/Terry in that order. A couple of factors played into how I did though. One I had just picked up Ex Kyo, and two, this is the first time I had ever made it this high into the brackets(winners and losers finals respectively) so I got incredibly nervous and jittery. But feel free to pick it apart. Any criticism is beneficial.

I think you did pretty good Zero. Your pressure game is awesome, especially with EX Kyo. When it came to Terry vs Fernando's Kyo, I might've gone more for a EX/Crack Shoot instead of EX Power Wave, as you've got to be sure he's going to be grounded. Or better yet, as much as the other Kyo liked jumping, you could've baited with EX Power Geyser, really making him think twice about jumping so much.

Prinny's Mr. Karate looked really tough to beat, but probably the best way to to deal with him is to rush him down the same way he was rushing you down on the ground. Mostly I'd leave EX Kyo and his chains to do that. Any aerial stuff to keep him grounded too would've been EX R.E.D., Venom Strike in the air (maybe), and EX Power Geyser definitely.

I do doubt this'll be the last time you place high with that team though. Just keep up the good effort.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

TrulyAmiracle

• New Challenger
  • The Eternal Blaze~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 07:09:10 AM »
Overall, good stuff Blaze. Was a little confused at first, thought you meant 2min and 19sec. Once I found your match, good work with Ralf and Vice.

Love how you were almost out-grabbing LordBBH's Clark with Vice.

Your Ralf is one of the most solid ones I've seen. For EX Kyo, or either Kyo probably, I'd suggest more of Ralf's normals to keep him at bay, and maybe more j.C instead of j.D to counter in the air.

Your King feels like the weakest, but I think it's just a little lack of strategy there. Definitely tighten up your combos with her (like cr.B, cr.A, df.D, qcf+K), and don't be afraid to be aggressive. After a while spamming Venom Strikes is just going to be evasion practice for your opponent; there are more spamming King players than non, so take advantage of the non. And I haven't tried this match-up yet, but if you're up against Clark, and you have meter with King, bait his strong command grab and EX Trap Shoot. Try it in practice though, not on a whim at a tourney.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply (and the Ralf comments).
Idk if was obvious through my gameplay but I fuckin hate Clark, he's so mindless that it makes me rage even if I'm winning when Im fighting him. Thats why I try to always stay fullscreen away (or at least max distance possible).
King is definitely my weak link, which is why I'm trying to pick up Shen, but as you can see he's worse than my King XD.
Usually my King is not that sloppy, i was just mad coz i had to fight like 4 Clarks in the tourney and imo thats a really bad MU for King so I played pretty badly.
the EX trapshot trick sounds neat but no one here uses the strong grab, its mostly the gay armor one or the EX lol. I'll keep it in mind though =P

for Ralf vs EX Kyo, i dont like throwing out limbs in this matchup coz usually the guardpoint would beat it and I'll eat a rekka to the face. I usually only sweep or hop against him.

Winning is Everything. How you do it doesn't matter...

PSN/XBL/Steam: TrulyAmiracle

Angel|Mian|Meitenkun|Ralf|Geese|Ramon|Vice

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
http://youtu.be/LW-H4eejEbs

Recent footage of me in a local tournament. I'm playing King/Kyo/Terry in that order. A couple of factors played into how I did though. One I had just picked up Ex Kyo, and two, this is the first time I had ever made it this high into the brackets(winners and losers finals respectively) so I got incredibly nervous and jittery. But feel free to pick it apart. Any criticism is beneficial.

Hey man, I just watched this match for the time being...

It seems that King is the character you are most comfortable with. I can tell by the way you move with her, the pressure you exert, the combos you pull off and the way you control space with her Venom Strikes.

That guy's Athena was pretty cool but you should try to find some ways to punish her f.B on block if you can because he was doing that alot. I did see you manage to pop him with EX Kyo's qcf+AC, so I figured you were catching on a bit.

Your Ex Kyo wasn't bad but you seemed very afraid to anti-air your opponent most of the time. He was hopping around and jumping over you that entire set you weren't doing anything about it...I didn't see any jabs to stop his hyper hops and no cr.C's or dp+A against his jumps at all. There were times you had him on the defense in the corner, and he would just freely jump over you. You did have some pretty cool combos in the corner, but I felt that your defense should have been a bit more assertive.

His Mai play I felt was solid, but you could have exerted a bit more pressure against him, and also zone him out with j.D since he was jumping around with her a lot.

Your Terry vs his Kyo was really heartbreaking to watch. I could understand you were probably very nervous but it kind of almost seemed like you sort of believed that he was going to make a comeback on you, and it happened, and you lost control of the match. You didn't throw out any kind of normals to keep him away or to make him think twice, and as Solidshark mentioned, you depended WAYYYY too much on that qcf+AC, which allowed him to just simply jump over them and attack you. You also need to hit confirm better with Terry, which lead him to nail you and regain the control after you safejumped his neomax and you failed to punish him to win the match.

So yeah, I did think you choked quite a bit during the end of those matches. Just keep playing and try your best to relax and focus when you play.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 08:51:02 AM »
A lot of it was lack of preparation on my part. I was too afraid to anti air because I didn't want my anti air to whiff or eat a CD trade. I was trying to bait a jump with Terry's EX power wave so I could anti air with burn knuckle(A setup I saw from the STA ranbats) but that proved to be gimmicky. Like I said I had just picked up Ex Kyo, so I wasn't too familiar with his toolset. Fernando is my primary training partner so he knew what my weakness's were from the get go. As for Prinny, I just choked pretty hard. But all in all thanks the the pointers, guys.

lindseyboi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
Howsit peeps, played a first to 2 with a friend on saturday. Please give me some tips on how to be more defensive, i get hit too much.

Im on the right with the yellow team outfits.

Weekend Session at Lumi's 14Apr2012 King of Fighters XIII Part 7

Weekend Session at Lumi's 14Apr2012 King of Fighters XIII Part 8

NeoTrinity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
KoFXIII Set Critique
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
Me and my friend finally sat down and got to record an extended set against each other and feedback/critiques would be welcomed.  We both consider ourselves to be upper intermediate to advanced so tips on how to up our game would be nice. 

[HATE] DJ D-Money $ vs [HATE]Karumucho (KoFXIII Set)

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
Re: KoFXIII Set Critique
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »
I have 2 points I'd like to make:

1. There's actually a thread in the Training Room where you can post videos and get feedback.
http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1931.0

2. Now I've only seen half of the video so far, but I've come up with this mush so far. Player one has a pretty good rushdown game which is important, and their Leona seems to be their strongest character. Player two, while doing pretty well in the second and third matches, seemed a bit too reckless with their attacks and needs a bit more work on their defensive game. But on a positive note, their Yuri did pretty well with that almost comeback in match three.

That's all I have so far, but I'll post more once I finish the video.

NeoTrinity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 12:01:20 AM »
Me and my friend(Kokujindayo) finally sat down and got to record an extended set against each other and feedback/critiques would be welcomed.  We both consider ourselves to be upper intermediate to advanced so tips on how to up our game would be nice.  

[HATE] DJ D-Money $ vs [HATE]Karumucho (KoFXIII Set)

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
Howsit peeps, played a first to 2 with a friend on saturday. Please give me some tips on how to be more defensive, i get hit too much.

just looking at the way you play you have no real type of defense so you would have to build up your defense around your offense but your offense is kinda sloppy. your yuri is real good but ur kusanagi and your takuma need a little more work. with ur nagi you should work on ur combos more u kept dropping his BnBs and also i noticed u kept gettin lost like u didnt know that his second jump  ;dn ;c would cross up after the first gets blocked so would have to learn to keep up with his speed as well as learn the distance of his moves

when it comes to takuma it looks more like you dont know how to use him when he get pressured or when someone jumps in. he has options to get people out of the air plus u b sittin on alot of meter so you can neo max any time to shut them down in the air.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
2. Now I've only seen half of the video so far, but I've come up with this mush so far. Player one has a pretty good rushdown game which is important, and their Leona seems to be their strongest character. Player two, while doing pretty well in the second and third matches, seemed a bit too reckless with their attacks and needs a bit more work on their defensive game. But on a positive note, their Yuri did pretty well with that almost comeback in match three.

I second all of this.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Kokujindayo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: KoFXIII Set Critique
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »

I would like to point out that we play each other very often, so that is why my gameplay seems so reckless. Its gotten to the point now where we essentially try to bait everything out, so I tried to switch it up as much as possible.

Thanks for the critiques though, and when you get a chance to watch all of it, please feel free to give more feedback.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
I will give ask some specific questions, i assume kokujindayo played Yuri, so i wonder. In one of the matches, you where down to her, last in order of your characters, and you had two characters to beat yet proceeded to throw away three bars on Yuri's EX command grab against the first of the two. Do you have a good reason for this or is it just a bad habbit? It doesn't do alot of damage and makes little sense to use so aggresively imo. Also, it seemed to me that if you'd use her d.B, d.B, s.B, srk+C dc srk+D ~C, d.C, srk+D ~A+C combo you'd probably get even more out of her as you sometimes seemed to have alot of drive that you just didn't get to use.

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
I finally watched the rest of the video, sorry it took this long, but now I can make a final analysis of your gameplay.

First I'd like to say that you both displayed great skill and knowledge of the game, and you both handled yourselves well showing a lot of confidence in your actions. But now I'll point out some things I noticed about each of you.

Player 1: I've changed my opinion on Leona being your strongest. I'd now say that Elisabeth is your strongest, displaying a "cool under fire" style that suits her. Your Leona is still good though, you know how to combo with her well. Your Vice is pretty impressive, especially with those comebacks you made. You know your stuff, and you certainly can utilize all of your characters strengths well, so I'm not sure you need to work on anything.

Player 2: Yuri is definitely your strongest character, you know how to really keep up pressure with her. Both your Mai and Athena are really good at spacing and rushdown, which is important with those characters in mind. With all your characters you did well using normals to keep your opponent in check and in the corner. What bothered me was that you seemed too eager to use EX moves, especially with Yuri. And also it seemed you tried going for elaborate combos instead of practical ones that would have done more damage. I'd say work on those points and you'd have yourself a solid team.

lindseyboi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »

just looking at the way you play you have no real type of defense so you would have to build up your defense around your offense but your offense is kinda sloppy. your yuri is real good but ur kusanagi and your takuma need a little more work. with ur nagi you should work on ur combos more u kept dropping his BnBs and also i noticed u kept gettin lost like u didnt know that his second jump  ;dn ;c would cross up after the first gets blocked so would have to learn to keep up with his speed as well as learn the distance of his moves

when it comes to takuma it looks more like you dont know how to use him when he get pressured or when someone jumps in. he has options to get people out of the air plus u b sittin on alot of meter so you can neo max any time to shut them down in the air.

Thanks for the feedback I will defintely start training my ex kyo in spacing, What I dont understand , and i hope you can elaborate on this, is the options takuma has against pressure? I dont see how blowing a neomax for anti air purposes is feasible at all because he needs little meter todo big damage and if a neomax wiffs its goodbye to all your meter.

NeoTrinity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
I finally watched the rest of the video, sorry it took this long, but now I can make a final analysis of your gameplay.

First I'd like to say that you both displayed great skill and knowledge of the game, and you both handled yourselves well showing a lot of confidence in your actions. But now I'll point out some things I noticed about each of you.

Player 1: I've changed my opinion on Leona being your strongest. I'd now say that Elisabeth is your strongest, displaying a "cool under fire" style that suits her. Your Leona is still good though, you know how to combo with her well. Your Vice is pretty impressive, especially with those comebacks you made. You know your stuff, and you certainly can utilize all of your characters strengths well, so I'm not sure you need to work on anything.

Player 2: Yuri is definitely your strongest character, you know how to really keep up pressure with her. Both your Mai and Athena are really good at spacing and rushdown, which is important with those characters in mind. With all your characters you did well using normals to keep your opponent in check and in the corner. What bothered me was that you seemed too eager to use EX moves, especially with Yuri. And also it seemed you tried going for elaborate combos instead of practical ones that would have done more damage. I'd say work on those points and you'd have yourself a solid team.

I too feel that my Elisabeth is my strongest character as she is also my favorite.  I feel like I have to work on my Vice, however, as in the first 3 matches I was just jumping CD everywhere, and while it's a good move to spam there were a lot of times I could have got him with a CG.  Like my friend said we play each other a lot so we know how to beat the other but I tried to break away from my usual plan on fighting him in this set and try new things.  Anyways thanks for you input, I really appreciate it.