Author Topic: Gameplay video critiques  (Read 61918 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: Gameplay video critiques
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »
Ok...firstly, you need to change your attitude a bit about your expectations about your gameplay (calling the video Worst KOFXIII play ever or whatever) and just embrace learning through time and experience
So... uh, what am I supposed to think when I'm losing literally 4 out of 5 games to people who have literally 0 games played before they face me?

Because that's actually how I'm performing right now.  There's literally no room for debate that I'm the single worst player playing this game.

EDIT: Correction,  it's actually closer to I lose 9/10 against people who have literally never touched the game before, lol.  And that's after I've played about 120 games and spent over 20 hours in training mode, and have years of experience in other fighting games.  There's definitely something completely wrong with my approach, and I have literally no fucking clue what.

Well, how do you exactly know if someone really hasn't played the game before? Are you judging from a person's online profile? Are you asking a person how many hours or games they played? Why do you care about that?
This probably falls under "judging from a person's online profile", but when someone has a 0-0 record and does "BURN KNUCKLE!  BURN KNUCKLE!  CRACK SHOOT!  BURN KNUCKLE!  CRACK SHOOT!  CRACK SHOOT!  BURN KNUCKLE!  BURN KNUCKLE!  CRACK SHOOT!  BURN KNUCKLE!" interspersed with tons of jumps that sail miles over my head and sweeps after blocked burn knuckles that are somehow counter-hitting my close Cs despite Burn Knuckle being incredibly minus on block, it's not a terribly unlikely guess.  

When I play against him over and over in the ranked match queue and see that every single one of his wins is against me and throughout the night he's racking up losses to everyone else he faces, it makes it a 100% unavoidable fact that I'm the worst KoF XIII player at least currently.

Or, if you want to make it even simpler, look at it from the other guy's perspective -- when you see a guy with a record of roughly 3 - 125 (that is to say, me), and then you OCV him in your first game ever, what would you think of your opponent?  I'm guessing something along the lines of "holy christ, what a tard."

You're caring too much about what people think instead of focusing entirely on your own gameplay.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Cynical

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
My own gameplay isn't anything not worthy of being ashamed of itself.

I mean, I don't just manage to not punish blocked Burn Knuckles or DPs; I manage to get my close Cs counterhit swept after blocking them.  That's a really special brand of fail.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

I mean, I don't just manage to not punish blocked Burn Knuckles or DPs; I manage to get my close Cs counterhit swept after blocking them.  That's a really special brand of fail.

Do something about it then. Go into training mode, use record mode and find proper ways to dealing with moves you have trouble with. Get those combos down, find out what moves are safe and unsafe at certain distances. Just play the game, stop the negative, self-pity talk.

Cynical

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »

Do something about it then. Go into training mode, use record mode and find proper ways to dealing with moves you have trouble with. Get those combos down, find out what moves are safe and unsafe at certain distances. Just play the game, stop the negative, self-pity talk.
Is there any way to record without a second controller?  When I try to record in training mode, I get a message saying "press start on the controller you wish to use", and when I press start on my controller, it takes me back to the training mode options screen.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2015, 07:25:37 PM »

Is there any way to record without a second controller?  When I try to record in training mode, I get a message saying "press start on the controller you wish to use", and when I press start on my controller, it takes me back to the training mode options screen.

This video explains that:

! No longer available

BodyOrgan

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »

I would wager this is due to your lack of experience playing this game online. Online play can introduce significant amounts of input delay meaning the game won't register your button press till long after the punish window is gone. You're going to have to recognize the blocked Burn Knuckle sooner, and punish earlier in high latency settings.

I'm on the east coast, and play a friend on the west coast, and the latency is so high that I can't really react to fireballs, or punish whiffed/blocked moves. Everything I do has to be a read.

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2015, 01:20:23 AM »
Man, ya gotta quit being so down on yourself and just work on making the improvements. You'll do better when you are better.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
Would anyone here be interested in doing some live video analysis gameplay critiques on Google Hangouts? There is a youtube app where people can all watch a video together and chat at the same time.

It will be private (you can invite you who want) and not recorded or streamed live. We can also have a few of the top players on the session that way you can have different perspectives and references on what you need to improve upon.

Let me know if anyone here would be interested in that. It would be sorta like live coaching/gameplay therapy, haha.

Cynical

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2015, 07:54:26 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHI1gnJ2G2Y&feature=youtu.be

Some more footage.

Don't know if there's much to say on this one.  Lots of botched punishes (I have no idea why I'm never able to pull out Shen's close C -> f.B in a real match without getting close C -> HD cancel into something awful), lots of botched inptus all over (in particular missed reversals that come out as me holding forward and hitting whatever random button, missed TK Venom Shots that come out as jump normals, accidental Trap Shots when going for s.B -> df.D), screwed up Shen jump-ins after a soft knockdown (I know that j.C can crossup, but I always seem to fuck up the spacing and whiff entirely and get killed for it).  No throw techs, even after eating the exact same throw setup from Ex-Kyo about 50 times. 

It seems like every time I *should* be starting an offense (hit j.CD, etc), I fail to get anything going at all; not having any pressure is obviously bad, but I'm not really sure how to go about fixing this.  Part of it is I need more consistent reversal punishes (to make people not want to do them; DPing looks really good when you're taking less damage from bad DPs than you deal from ones that hit) *and* reversal baits (I swear, over 90% of the time when I try to bait one out, I find myself taking pressure from wakeup c.lks).  Also, in neutral, I practically shut down anytime someone is closer than about half-screen, and with King, it's even further than that.  I just lock up and don't want to push buttons, and then get murdered for it.  Ugh.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
We should plan a time on google hangouts to talk and watch your video in real-time. Let me know if you're interested. Plus, you've pretty much written out all of your mistakes which is very good.

Cynical

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »
I'll be home from work today at about 7:30 PM Central time.  I'll need a bit of time past that to install Google Hangouts; does 8PM Central work for you?

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »
I'll be home from work today at about 7:30 PM Central time.  I'll need a bit of time past that to install Google Hangouts; does 8PM Central work for you?

Lets do it.

https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin

I will private message you the invite at 7:45pm. I may have another player join us to give his perspective and thoughts.

-desmond

Cynical

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2015, 02:46:38 AM »
It's 7:45 CDT, and I am here.  Ready for a PM when you are.

Cynical

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2015, 05:45:38 AM »
http://www.twitch.tv/pbacque/c/6901190

Jesus fucking christ. 

This guy has about half the number of total games played as I do, and every single one of his wins is against me.  And it's not hard to see why that is.  And I am at a total fucking loss.

You can literally just mash moves completely at random against me and win 100% of the time.

And apparently I'm too fucking retarded to actually execute the things I practice in training mode, even after spending ridiculous numbers of hours practicing them against both random guard and CPU.  And, judging from what I see from other people with few games and low rankings online, I'm the only person online too retarded to be able to do normal -> command normal -> QCB+A -> QCF+A under pressure (which really isn't surprising, that's not a thing that should take anyone any practice at all to be able to do).

Shit, it's not like I'm even getting better with time.  Note that those matches in the video are in reverse chronological order of when they happened.  That's right -- I'm actively getting worse with time and practice.  Wonderful.

WTF is wrong with me?

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
I watched a little bit of your video, before I get into any specifics from what I saw, I really need you try to change your attitude about yourself and your own expectations. It's actually getting very annoying to read how negative you are towards yourself and how much importance you place on winning and the outcome instead of understanding you just started playing this game a month or so ago.

Whatever you believe and think about yourself is what you really are. I can't try to change your mind about how you feel about yourself, only you can do that.

To change your gameplay, you need to change your attitude.