Author Topic: NeoGeo Pocket Returns (!?!?)  (Read 4882 times)

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
NeoGeo Pocket Returns (!?!?)
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »
Not sure what to make of this news. Adriasang reports:

Quote from: Andriasang
Following its first failed attempt with Neo Geo Pocket, SNK is lending its name to a new portable gaming device.

Famicom Plaza has a look at at the new device, which carries official licensing from SNK Playmore. The device, currently going by the placeholder name of "Neo Geo Portable Device," has 4.3 inch screen, two gigabytes of internal storage, and ships with 20 Neo Geo classics built in:

1.WORLD HEROES
    2.ULTIMETE 11
    3.TOP PLAYER'S GOLF
    4.SENGOKU
    5.NAM-1975
    6.MUTATION NATION
    7.LAST RESORT
    8.KING OF MONSTERS
    9.FRENZY
    10.CYBER LIP
    11.FATAL FURY SPECIAL
    12.ART OF FIGHTING
    13.SUPER SIDEKICKS
    14.LEAGUE BOWLING
    15.METAL SLUG
    16.MAGICAL LORD
    17.BASEBALL STARS PROFESSIONAL
    18.SAMURAI SHODOWN
    19.KING OF FIGHTERS '94
    20.FATAL FURY

The games are all the North American versions with English.

According to the Famicom Plaza report, the device is 170x72x15mm and is a bit larger than an iPhone-like smartphone. It has a 2200mAh battery.

Controls on the device include four face buttons, a d-pad, four shoulder buttons, a menu button, a start button, and buttons for volume and brightness. Ports include headphones, AV and an SD.

No details yet on pricing or release date. Famicom Plaza's report does not list the maker.

http://andriasang.com/comzr4/neo_geo_pocket_2/

So, it's not actually a new NeoGeo Pocket, but a handheld that emulates NeoGeo games.

My interest in the device will depend on:

1. Are the built games the only ones I can ever play, or can I download others? SD card and 2GB internal memory certainly suggest yes.

2. Is the joystick as good as the NeoGeo Pocket?

3. How does multiplayer work?

4. Price, obviously.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:26:34 AM by Rex Dart »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: NeoGeo Pocket Returns (!?!?)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
I hope badly that this is true

Things that will make it completely awesome

- Option to at least connect the console to other handleheld, online gaming will be too much to askI guess

- Option to buy more games, if you can mix with 80's SNK and NGPC will be incredible, more if somehow you can get other arcade games

Those are the only 2 things that I really want

Waifu Material

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
Kinda' pointless. If you want a portable game emulator then check out the GP2X and GP2X Whiz that have been out for years and you can get one for about $100.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
I'm excited for this if it's true, but I hope this machine can take advantage of older and newer games if possible. I know SNK's had a downplayed hand in the portable market; if they've got plans to get back into more mainstream or franchise things somehow, then awesome.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
Kinda' pointless. If you want a portable game emulator then check out the GP2X and GP2X Whiz that have been out for years and you can get one for about $100.

You have a piont, except for the fact that neither of the GP series systems have a clicky stick! I'll buy it day one if only to have a good way to play Garou on the go. The button layout is a bit odd, though.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »

You have a piont, except for the fact that neither of the GP series systems have a clicky stick! I'll buy it day one if only to have a good way to play Garou on the go. The button layout is a bit odd, though.

There is also the whole factor of collecting an Item from SNKP, at least for me that's the only reason to buying it

Waifu Material

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile

Waifu Material

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »
Yep, it is. Surprised Dream Cancel hasn't announced, either ON.

http://www.neogeox.com/

I hope to see other games than just old NeoGeo ones, but I really don't think so... If it's called NeoGeo I guess it means we only will have old games we already have for NeoGeo Station, Ps2, Xbox Live Arcade, etc...
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

fujifujifujifuji

• New Challenger
  • Kiru!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/blaze-confirms-500-price-tag-for-neogeo-x/092841
Check it 500 pounds...whooooa...that's some 700$.

Nah, I smell marketing ploy...the price would (should) not exceed 100 pounds. But if it really IS 500...then I'll be damned, my hats off to them. That's an insane price...
Dude, Relax!

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »
That was a silly rumour taken from one of their forums, a blaze representative said that this was false

Waifu Material

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:19:02 AM »
I would guess it'll be your standard generic Asian multimedia device like the GP2X or GP2XWhiz like I mentioned. There's almost a dozen handhelds like them from Asia that all do the same shit; emulate the 8-16 bit games, limited PSX emulation, play music and movies, Ebooks, etc. I guess it would run about $150-ish. It probably cost maybe $20 to put that thing together because -to be quite honest- almost any handheld from Asia that you come across can run any Neo Geo game without many problems.

Side note: King of the Monsters is really underrated. I love that game.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

fujifujifujifuji

• New Challenger
  • Kiru!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »
Well...would it hurt SNKP to throw a little extra into those things? maybe some ASTs or their old exclusive artbooks or one of theirs HK Manhua? I mean, it's a no-brainer, fans like useless things like that!
Dude, Relax!

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 02:07:45 AM »
I think that this is supposed to be really cheap games, plus the AST and all those things will made the size of the roms grow up a lot

Waifu Material