Author Topic: XII to XIII Transition  (Read 4844 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
XII to XIII Transition
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
For anyone who's now intimate with both games, and for those of us with access to XII waiting for XIII, are there any key elements to practice with for being sufficient for XIII besides the general build of the game?
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: XII to XIII Transition
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
My trip to Arcade UFO is next week and I plan to write something up on this very topic. I've played all of the KoFs but I've spent the most time with XII.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
Thanks nilcam. Enjoy the hell out of that game for us.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »
My trip to Arcade UFO is next week and I plan to write something up on this very topic. I've played all of the KoFs but I've spent the most time with XII.

If you can make any kind of video with your thoughts and even playing the game, that would be great!
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
If you can make any kind of video with your thoughts and even playing the game, that would be great!

That's part of the plan. I'm going to UFO when it opens and, hopefully, getting in some practice mode with Kyo, King, Kim, Joe and Robert and then Arcade mode. I'll likely film all of that. I'd like to get in some versus as well.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
For anyone who's now intimate with both games, and for those of us with access to XII waiting for XIII, are there any key elements to practice with for being sufficient for XIII besides the general build of the game?

The jump arcs are really the only thing that's from XII which is in XIII.  Having said that, of course that's extremely crucial to know/adjust.  Also, characters that have new normals in XII, most likely kept them in XIII (Leona's Far C, Chin's Far C, Shen's Far D  etc...).  Just thinking from a developer's standpoint, that all makes sense since they tried to waste as little 'work' as possible moving to XIII.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:52:23 PM by Kane317 »

Remxi

• Strongest Tiger
  • Mithan's Robe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »
Does XIII still have that late cancel feel that XII had? It felt like you had to cancel moves after they hit, rather than as they hit.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
ya that sucked... i would mess up soo often cause i'm trying to do everything fast like XI...

if anyone is playing XII i suggest that you STOP immediately... and go get yourself either 2k2:um, XI or 98:um... 2k2:um would be the best idea... some GGPO on og 2k2 doesn't hurt either...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

JT_Chill

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:49:17 AM »
As seeing how I don't have 98UM or 2002UM and I can't find find my XI, would NeoWave help any in the transition? As seeing how it has the SuperCancel mode and all.

krazykone123

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:56 AM »
As seeing how I don't have 98UM or 2002UM and I can't find find my XI, would NeoWave help any in the transition? As seeing how it has the SuperCancel mode and all.

98/2002 on GGPO! seriously

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 07:17:03 AM »
Having played XIII, i gotta say 2K2UM  will have the easiest time to transition as far as the gameplay feel. XII is also a surprising choice, as is OG2K2 for the general flow. At least thats what i took out of it after playing.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »
XII is an okay transition to XIII, depending on the character. Joe and Kim both feel very similar, though Kim is a bit faster and Joe has a few new moves. I find myself playing XI more as the cancel system in XIII feels very, very similar.

JT_Chill

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »
The reason that I asked, is because NeoWave has Super-cancel mode allowing for the canceling between moves without going into "hyper mode." I also, found my 2002, will that help in the learning curb. My main is Terry, so that is why I am asking.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 07:07:18 AM »

The jump arcs are really the only thing that's from XII which is in XIII.

I stand corrected.  I fired up my copy of XII today (to test out my new HRAP V3 SA) and the jump arcs are not the same.  The hops in XII (particularly the hyper hop) have more horizontal range than the XIII jumps.  The normal jump has very little horizontal range and jumps rather high.   I don't know if this has anything to do with the zooming/scaling of XII, but it's definitely noticabable after playing XIII last night and XII this morning.

The more I think about it the transition is somewhat helpful yet not at the same time.  Like mentioned before, it really helps to recognize the new normals that certain characters possess. However, what threw me off after playing XIII for so long was that XII's far hitting strong normals require you to hold fwd, the throws also are the two button combination of fwd/bck+AC and finally the general formula of the combos are different (in XII it's jump strong hit, stand strong hit, standing CD, "chasing" special or super whereas all the rest are jump hit, stand hit, command attack (fwd+A/B usually), special).

Finally, the timing of the chains and combos in general seemed to be more lenient than XIII.

My .02 cents.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:39:42 AM by Kane317 »