Author Topic: Genesis or Super Nintendo?  (Read 5381 times)

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
Genesis or Super Nintendo?
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:51:53 AM »
The age old fanboy debate ;) . Which do you prefer?

Graphics-wise they were about the same excluding one or two titles like Star Fox on the SNES. I think some people make a big deal about the sound being better on the SNES but I think that varies from game to game. Some games sound amazing and some just don't on either console. For example; compare Super Castlevania 4 to Castlevania Bloodlines. Bloodlines just sounds better to me and the whip soundfx in Super is atrocious.

I said it before but I honestly think it depends on if you're really into RPG's or not. Because on Top 10's for the SNES I consistently see RPG's make up the Top 10. I can understand why, if Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger rocked your shit then of course you'll prefer the SNES because the Genesis just didn't have nearly as many RPG's like that. Me personally; I don't like RPG's. I don't like waiting to attack, I don't like playing as a little kid going on an epic journey (another reason why I hate Zelda), I don't like random battles, and etc.

I liked action games and for me the Genesis clearly beat the SNES. Tons of grade A titles.

Another reason I prefer Genesis comes down to something that's not mentioned very much: Genesis games are 9 times out of 10 are faster paced. SNES games feel slower, excluding maybe Contra 3. But tell ya' what; play Super Castlevania 4 and then play Bloodlines and tell me which game feels faster to you.

The SNES had some great titles but I honestly can't think of too much aside from those RPG's and first party Nintendo titles. The Genesis not only had great first party games from Sega (except Sonic 3D Blast...) but a helluva lot more great 3rd party titles, including Treasure.... Fucking Treasure.

/End pointless thread.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:53:25 AM by LouisCipher »
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Genesis or Super Nintendo?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:35 PM »
I grew up with the Genesis myself, so I'm pretty much a Sega fanboy. Got SNES later, and enjoyed most of the stuff on that game (will always appreciate SF2 WW and TMNTIV, and all the great 1st party Nintendo stuff). But for that generation, nothing beats all the great Sonic games, the better Samurai Shodown version, the better Jurassic Park, Shinobi 2 & 3, Comix Zone, the better X-Men games, Vectorman, Gunstar Heroes, and of course Streets of Rage 1-3 (shoutout to 2).

And since I loved the music of that era, Genesis had a big win for having a headphone port to listen to Sonic and Yuzo Koshiro music all day. Those were "Beats in My Head"

Good times.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Objectively? SNES
My answer: Genesis, just for altered beast

Waifu Material

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
But guys...DAT BLAST PROCESSOR!
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
yo sega had streets of rage 2 so it's the obvious winner it also had sannic the hedgehawg

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:13 PM »
Well as Mr. I love classic JRPG's I gotta go with the SNES as Louis pointed out the SNES was just overflowing with classics like the FF games as well as overlooked titles like Ogre Battle and many others which like the early Fire Emblem and SMT games didn't even get NA releases and in my opinion is arguably the best JRPG system of all time.

As well the SEGA first party JRPG releases like Phantasy Star and Shining Force never really did it for me and if you go back to play them now they really haven't held up well over the years whereas a lot of the games for SNES that I just mentioned have held up very well.

In addition to this a lot of first party SEGA releases like Sonic, Vectorman, Alex Kidd etc. just never came close to matching my liking for Mario, Legend Of Zelda etc. and again in terms of holding up over the years the Nintendo first party games have held up far better than SEGA's.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
Genesis.

SNES can't compare.

Sega CD also had one of my most favorite rpgs ever, Lunar.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »
Sega CD also had one of my most favorite rpgs ever, Lunar.

This man. He understands the power of the Dragonmaster.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »

In addition to this a lot of first party SEGA releases like Sonic, Vectorman, Alex Kidd etc. just never came close to matching my liking for Mario, Legend Of Zelda etc. and again in terms of holding up over the years the Nintendo first party games have held up far better than SEGA's.

Play Ristar. It's Bionic Commando meets Sonic.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
semi ot, but the genesis collection is really cool, you can had lots of 1st party sega games, even though I missed some like outrun, or some SEGA cd releases

Waifu Material

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 04:44:25 AM »
semi ot, but the genesis collection is really cool, you can had lots of 1st party sega games, even though I missed some like outrun, or some SEGA cd releases

If it's similar to the one on the Dreamcast where they changed most of the music, no thanks. If everything is intact, then perfect.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 05:15:08 AM »
wait what? which games had the music changed?

Waifu Material

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »
I had both consoles (Japanese version of the Sega aka Mega Drive) , but i enjoyed the SNES more than the other, so my vote goes to the SNES.

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 06:23:57 AM »
I grew up with the Super Nintendo, BUT I actually prefer the Genesis.  Why?  It's complex.

It is true that the Super Nintendo has superior graphics, superior sound and bigger cartridges.  BUT The processor was slower and the controller unfriendly for fighters.  All games with speed played better, moved quicker and were more arcade accurate on the genesis then they were on the super nintendo  The Super Nintendo while undoubtably more colorful did not have enough speed to properly play fighting games.  Street Fighter on the Genesis and Super Nintendo was no contest.  Mortal Kombat also played better on the genesis, and the blood code also helped pushed it.  Shmups were far better on the genesis then the snes.

When it comes to rpgs, the Genesis while not as pumped as the snes, had its fair share.  Crusader of Centy, Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 1-2, Warsong, and Shining in the Darkness.  Add the sega CD attachment and you get Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue along with the legendary Shining Force CD and Vay.  But if you loved American RPGS, the Genesis beat the Super at that too with greats like Might and Magic II Gates to Another World, Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday, and many others.  Sports games always ran better on the Genesis and played better.  It was almost like it was different games between the systems.

Also Samurai Shodown was better to play on the genesis then the Snes.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
Hard to pick, i'll say genesis/megadrive just because i think there are more snes fanboys out there and they both deserve respect.

Genesis did something awesome btw, it had atleast one fully playable 3d game before the playstation came out! And it's from 88 while the snes is from 90 so that is pretty damn respectable.

Own a megadrive and an snes and i like both, sadly, i have few of the awesome games available for them.. I have the megadrive collection for ps3 though and Shinobi 3 is godlike! Golden axe and streets of rage 1-3 adds a bunch aswell.