Author Topic: David Kong is here to answer your noob questions!  (Read 54225 times)

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
Re: David Kong is here to answer your noob questions!
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2012, 07:23:50 PM »
ok here we go, i have two question:

1) the double tap tech... or spam tech on the button, I see the Mago vs Bala FT5 in hotel david post while ago and impressive me the amount of click heard o.O,

2) ok the game is full of shortcut and that's is well stated, from the snkp japan blog vid too... but, i'm missing something, i'm more confortable on link and on shortcut connection too with the button pressed down sometimes, it's just a coincidence or there is a buffered buttons input too other than motion input buffer?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »
ok here we go, i have two question:

1) the double tap tech... or spam tech on the button, I see the Mago vs Bala FT5 in hotel david post while ago and impressive me the amount of click heard o.O,

2) ok the game is full of shortcut and that's is well stated, from the snkp japan blog vid too... but, i'm missing something, i'm more confortable on link and on shortcut connection too with the button pressed down sometimes, it's just a coincidence or there is a buffered buttons input too other than motion input buffer?

1. Could just be pressing a lot of buttons, you'd often hear a lot of buttons being pressed when the round hadn't even started yet. Some players also like to multi tap buttons instead of pushing them once, while others like to tap empty buttons to try to fool their opponent into thinking they will do something. I remember watching PoongKo play on a stream and the guy is so loud, presses like a billion buttons for what seems like no good reason (before a match or round starts etc).

2. You're right, when you do a move and hold the button down at the end the game repeats the input for about 5 frames. This way you can do the move in advance and have it come out as soon as your character recovers from his or her previous move.

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 04:36:28 AM »
Yeah, all that stuff. And also, Robert is low tier.  ;)
In it to win it!

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2012, 07:15:54 AM »
And to add on Re: 2)

Works for all bufferable moves. Does not work for links which by design don't have a buffer.

ie- ryo cr.b, mature qcb+D have no buffer

Maker

• New Challenger
  • Train Hard, Fight Easy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
Rookie KoF player here who just really got into the series. Played a lot of other fighters in the past. SF, GG, CVS2, etc. Anyway. My questions are basically team construction based. I currently seem to do okay with Duo Lon 1st, Kula 2nd, Terry anchor. Im not good with anyone yet but this teams suits me so far.

First question: as a competetive guy (even if im not intending on it it happens) this obvoously isnt cvs2 so i feel like im lost with my basic team construction and placement therein. Is there any standard besides point > battery > anchor that i just missed somehow?

Second: Ive played around with all of the cast trying to find ones who really appeal. So far duo lon and terry are all thet really mesh well. Is there another in that archetype that perhaps im missing or just dont have the kof background to see theit similarities in the mechanics?
Always improve.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »
First question: as a competetive guy (even if im not intending on it it happens) this obvoously isnt cvs2 so i feel like im lost with my basic team construction and placement therein. Is there any standard besides point > battery > anchor that i just missed somehow?

Second: Ive played around with all of the cast trying to find ones who really appeal. So far duo lon and terry are all thet really mesh well. Is there another in that archetype that perhaps im missing or just dont have the kof background to see theit similarities in the mechanics?

1) Nop, you can compose a team like that. And it may be better to do so, but you aren't forced to do so.
Anyway if you take care of that you should switch your team order since Duo Lon is more metervore than Kula you should put him 2nd. Terry is good as an anchor in this team I guess.

2) I don't understand your question, Terry and Duo Lon playstyles are very different.
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Maker

• New Challenger
  • Train Hard, Fight Easy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »
Thanks.

As for the comparison. I duno what i was thinking. To me they seem to "feel" similar in use not application. I dont know why maybe just new guy stuff. At any rate i appreciate the response.
Always improve.

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »
Feel free to pick any of your favorite characters and just go wild! You'll only discover what you REALLY like about how a character plays after trying out all of his/her moves in real matches.
In it to win it!

Negimafan123

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »
I have a question ^^

Is my team of Athena, Kula, and Yuri/Kyo (in that order) ok?

Also, I'm trying to get the trophy for Survival, and the farthest I can get is 25-30 wins. Any tips you can give to help me survive a bit longer?

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
I'd say Kula, Athena, Kyo is a stronger order. I don't have any tips for getting through survival.
In it to win it!

Negimafan123

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2012, 07:46:34 AM »
Oh, I see. Thank you. ^^

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
Also, I'm trying to get the trophy for Survival, and the farthest I can get is 25-30 wins. Any tips you can give to help me survive a bit longer?

Welcome to the site Negimafan.

I go through survival every-so-often. It's always pretty easy to start; once you get into the 20's for victories, they will use their meter for NeoMaxes so, don't assume you can rush them down like usual. Just play smarter/more defensively to save health, because Boss Saiki and Dark Ash are probably at the end of it. If possible, by the time you get to maybe 33, make sure you have full HD and lots of stock for the bosses.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

massi4h

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
OK this is going to sound stupid, but I feel like I'm a strong player in multiple 2D games (mostly SF ones though) and I'm slowly trying to get into KoFXIII (my first KOF). I haven't put much time into it at all, but I have a big tournament this weekend that I want to somehow do well in. Out of almost all of the players in KoF, I can comfortably beat them at SF4 with most of the cast, but with KOF I still don't have a whole grasp of the game.

The one character that I have to play is Athena (don't ask lol). And initially I was trying a team of Kula/Yuri/Athena but I just don't think it's working out for me. So I'm trying to learn Billy/Athena/Mr. Karate right now but I still don't know if these are the right characters for me. I picked Billy because he looks like he has a good poking game and Mr. Karate cause he's well... Mr. Karate. I think I'd feel more comfortable with a more shoto-type character but I just don't know the characters well enough. I was thinking Saiki looked pretty cool before, but then I found out he only has a 1 speed fireball (though is that really a problem in this game)?

Usually when I try to pick up a newer game I try and start with a more zoning and poking style until I'm more familiar with the rushdown.

Would anyone have any advice for me on possible changes to my team and a basic game plan or something.

Thanks alot  :)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »
If you are looking for characters that can be played like shotos then check out Kensou, Andy and Robert.

In terms of strong fireball games its Kensou (his is excellent, his A fireball is very slow and you can run after it, he also has one of the best anti-airs in the game), King (its all about fireballs with her) and Ash (very zoning heavy, lots of fireball types and in general can be very annoying with his style, especially if you use the flame kisses properly).

For poking try Mai (also has a good fireball game), Ryo and Ralf.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »

Would anyone have any advice for me on possible changes to my team and a basic game plan or something.

Thanks alot  :)

Welcome to the site massi4h.

Wouldn't worry about wanting Athena on your team all the time; she fits your style, and that's important.

I'd honest say no matter what character you pick, if you're still working on all the peculiar parts of KOF like guard cancel rolls/back attack, CD attacks, (hyper)hops, etc, that should be your focus. Make sure in planning for your tournament (EVO?) you practice that everytime.

Honestly though everyone picks him, for zoning and poking, EX (Flame) Iori is a great character (basically the Ken of KOF with his shoto-esque style). Billy is a decent zoner/poker with a lot of hopping with C or forward A. He still rushes down a lot, usually with cr.B(x2), dp.B, qcb.A or hcf. C. You might try out Takuma too; he lacks the dp that Karate has, but better fireball throwing options to me, and can still intimidate almost as well as Karate with his kicks.

Kula and Yuri are still very good zoners to me, but they require even more rushdown to be really effective.

Best game plan I can give you is while you have shotos, don't always play shoto style. With every character you've got, pick up at least some basic combos like the easier ones from their trials (usually 1 and 2) or at their character wiki's

KOF XIII general wiki - http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_King_of_Fighters_XIII

For Athena - http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Athena_Asamiya_(XIII)
Billy - http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Billy_Kane_(XIII)
Mr. Karate - http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mr._Karate_(XIII)

And DO NOT be afraid to be agressive. It's the nature of the game. Apply pressure where you can, preferably with weak attacks to lead into combos.

I know someone will offer better specific advice than this, but hope some of this will help you.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995