Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 389471 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition
« Reply #1380 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »

It's good to hear that MLG are doing right with KoF considering they screwed it up last time by scheduling  it on a friday?! Hopefully people would show up and not be discouraged by BALA. BTW does the tournament players consider the fun in the competition not just the prize?!

I'd say the fun of the competition is a much bigger motivator than the prize. I'd imagine a lot of players (maybe not pro-players) win a tournament and the money is more like an afterthought; not forgotten, just not as appealing. That could just be me though.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 20, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »

I really hope thats the case. I think most people are motivated by the fun of the competition but whey are people saying that going there is just giving BALA money?! well just go there try to win and have fun playing and learning from your competition. I dont think you will win against BALA if you dont challenge him enough and learn from your mistakes. If he wins all the time then he deserves it then, he won!

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 20, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »

I really hope thats the case. I think most people are motivated by the fun of the competition but whey are people saying that going there is just giving BALA money?! well just go there try to win and have fun playing and learning from your competition. I dont think you will win against BALA if you dont challenge him enough and learn from your mistakes. If he wins all the time then he deserves it then, he won!

Well, a lot of players don't always have money to make it out to a lot of events, or pay sometimes big entry fees (like MLG's $50). Some people want a shot at winning, and they think it would be impossible to win against BALA. I'm one to think not facing BALA in a tournament doesn't get you a win either, but to each his own. I'd probably have to take a lot of losses of get close to beating BALA, but it'd be worth it.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »

Yeah I get what you mean, paying 50 bucks is alot.

I dont think it's impossible to win against him, yes he is considered the best (he can prove that at evo :P) but I think you'll have to go against the best to be the best. 

Some people are naturals and some are hard workers, both can be the best.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 20, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »

Yeah I get what you mean, paying 50 bucks is alot.

I dont think it's impossible to win against him, yes he is considered the best (he can prove that at evo :P) but I think you'll have to go against the best to be the best.

Some people are naturals and some are hard workers, both can be the best.

Excellent statements.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

LazieFreddy

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
I really appreciate what MLG is doing for kof, but I feel that most people who go to tournaments don't really compete with an aim to win top prizes, but they are their to meet people and to have a good time in general. 

When I go to a FGC major, I can go with a bunch of people from my area, even though none of them play kof, but that doesn't really matter, since we share a passion in fighting games.  And when I get to the venue, I could meet many other like minded people and to meet up with kof players from other regions.  And even though I don't really play marvel or sf4, I still enjoy watching their games and can join in with the hype since I have a general idea of what's going on in the games and who the top players are.

If I go to an MLG event, I will most likely have to travel alone, since none of my friends play kof, mk, or scv, so it will be a lot more expensive.  And when I do get to the venue, most people there are either into real time strategy or fps games, so we kind of speak a different language.  I can't really watch their matches, since I know nothing about their games and scenes. 

Sure, I can seek out the 20 or so kof players, but I could do the same in a FGC major plus a few hundred players in other fighting games. 

MLG needs to achieve a critical mass of entrants for fighting games, and it's a difficult job for them as long as they are running a few selected titles. 

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 20, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
MLG is definitely a different setting with different circumstances. I definitely see where you're coming from Freddy as an individual; the Friday scheduling might've kept me from making it out to MLG Anaheim, even if I lived in SoCal.

On the flipside however, for the KOF community in particular, more exposure like this is a good thing, and should be taken advantage of. Stating the obvious here, but community attendance at any event matters for judging it's strength. Just like with any other venue that's got KOF in the line-up, if you want to see more players playing KOF, and have the means to make it out there, it'll help in the overall scheme of things.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Killey

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 20, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
It's a catch 22 here:

You don't want to attend an MLG event with fighting games because the majority of the crowd are focused on the other featured games but in order to make fighters a central event at MLG you need people to attend.

Since when do top competitors scare off competition? Look at the other games at MLG, there's an invitational but also an open bracket where a ton of people enter to see who can get in. There's been a few Cinderella stories of nobodies entering the open bracket going through the gauntlet and then beating all the top players to win the tournament.

I think the current generation of FG players have a defeatist attitude and the FGC as a whole has a very selfish way of thinking. MLG is not just about fighting games and there has to be concessions made from both communities in order for this to work. It's a give and take for both sides and in order for FG's to take central stage it needs the support of the entire community.

Gimnbo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 20, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
The other games at MLG also are played extensively through the internet, allowing the competitors you have absorbed a huge amount of practice and experience beforehand. KOF? Not so much. If you don't have a consistent practice group near you you're basically SOL. That's probably why the other MLG games have so many more competitors while people are apprehensive to compete in KOF.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »
If I went to a tournament where Bala or Romance and co. were attending I'd go anyway. I'd have fun, and hopefully learn something off of them.

For 3S players one of the holy grails is to just play Kuroda for a game. You're not going to beat him, but just the chance to play the legend and maybe get some advice would make the experience worth it.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Terrastorm

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 20, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
The other games at MLG also are played extensively through the internet, allowing the competitors you have absorbed a huge amount of practice and experience beforehand. KOF? Not so much. If you don't have a consistent practice group near you you're basically SOL. That's probably why the other MLG games have so many more competitors while people are apprehensive to compete in KOF.
MK doesn't have very good netcode either. It does have popularity in the US to ride on though.

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 21, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »
If I went to a tournament where Bala or Romance and co. were attending I'd go anyway. I'd have fun, and hopefully learn something off of them.

For 3S players one of the holy grails is to just play Kuroda for a game. You're not going to beat him, but just the chance to play the legend and maybe get some advice would make the experience worth it.

Exactly and well said!

EDIT: I really would like the Hero team 98 theme back (ESAKA)
ESAKAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!  :(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:02:30 PM by Tyrant292 »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
I expect that at least some of the crew plays the game since is free

Waifu Material

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 21, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »

Exactly and well said!

Huh?  Esaka's already in the game.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 21, 2012, 11:06:34 PM »

Exactly and well said!

Huh?  Esaka's already in the game.

That's "Esaka?", not the original "Esaka" that was arranged from '94.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:10:52 PM by AmedoS310 »