Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 386350 times)

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: MLG Status edition
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2012, 04:11:37 PM »
Meh, I don't get the annoyance towards EXs, when you think about XIII in context with older KOF games, you start to understand why they're there.

Though honestly...yeah I wish they kind of got rid of HD mode altogether, though kept the Drive Cancel system and then balanced around that.  I think that would be an even better game, though things like Neomaxes would have to be reworked to become actually useful again.

My problem is that it's a whole, "me too" phenomena and I'm bit bothered ASW did it with P4U. I'm guessing that companies think it's the new "standard" but I don't really think so. I think it just gives you another reason to use meter among the very many already and I'm not a big fan of giving moves more invincibility or giving zoners more options, etc. I've never been a whole fan of meter management craze and it ends up ruining some characters' moves because they made the original move terrible on purpose. For example: Ralf have many moves that are pointless unless EX'ed and even Mature's fireball is pointless unless EX'ed. Guess I just don't think it fits with the KOF universe.

But yeah, I agree with you on HD, they put so much emphasis on nasty combos and don't even bother to have NMs do unscaled damage and they have ridiculously steep requirements to execute. It's a shame because they're really well done. I'm only not everyone has good HD combos, so you have to make space for someone that can make proper use out of it. Reminds me of how ridiculous Nameless and Kasumi were in 2k2UM with comebacks. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool mechanic and I can't lie that there's something very satisfying about making a comeback with a sickass combo.

Not to mention, that air normals having too little stagger on hit can fuck off period. That shit is absolutely frustrating.

Personally, I would have gone with the template concieved in XI. I liked how the tag system was unique and how smoothly it controlled. I just think they got a little out of hand trying to make it the "hardcore game" in a way. I can respect it for being solid and it's definitely up there with 2k2 and 98 no doubt though.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
@fujifujifujifuji  - That's way too much, sounds like Mugen to me and wouldn't be very balanced.

I never really ever been a fan of custom combo style modes like the Hype Drive mode, they usually always end up being very repetitive I think, but at least it's not like Alpha 2 or CvS2 where you keep canceling into the same special over and over.

I'd actually would like to see the return of XI's mechanics, the Quick Shift opened up alot of different possibilities and made team synergy more important.

If not that, then I'd say bring back 98's mode selection, but with some new additions, like maybe a MOTW style mode and a XIII style mode, along with a new Ultimate mode that lets you mix and match you're mobility, defensive and gauge options.

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
I too would love to see 98 or xi mechanics applied to KOF XIV

bmckay

• New Challenger
  • Y'all gotta chill, b.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
So here's a question:

Do OG players prefer '98 or '98UM? It seems that it's widely accepted that 2k2UM is better than 2k2, but is it the same for '98?

Also, how good is '98 on GGPO and 2df?
Kyo/Iori/K'

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »
No, pretty sure OG 98 is the most accepted of the two (though I believe 98UMFE is better, but I haven't actually seen it in action so don't hold me to that, just going by hearsay on that).
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
So here's a question:

Do OG players prefer '98 or '98UM? It seems that it's widely accepted that 2k2UM is better than 2k2, but is it the same for '98?

Also, how good is '98 on GGPO and 2df?

It depends strictly on where you are playing

For example, with 98 is highly regarded that OG is better just for the fact that krauser ruined the game, and even if that didn't happened, lots of players will still prefer to stick to their Iori/Kyo/Chizuru/Orochi Yashiro and Chris teams

with 2002um, the game is more popular than 2002 in all the places where they had arcades with the game, here in chile the game is nowhere to be found so obviously 2002 is still the superior version, even though with more releases I will dare to say that there will be more 2002um players than 98um players

Waifu Material

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »
98 on GGPO is very good. You will have no problem playing it online and it's highly recommendable if you wanna play some KOF with other people. 2df, now called Supercade, is also ok. Good alternative if you can't get your GGPO to work.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »
Oh, wow. Now HD is considered a comeback mechanic?

Great. Just Great.

Also, lol '98 elitists.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
HD is indeed a comeback mechanic, just not noob friendly as said X-factor or to a lesser extent ultras

Waifu Material

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
I really don't see where EX moves would turn people off (unless they're retards who believe Capcom invented them).

Sheesh, people will always find something to complain about.

bmckay

• New Challenger
  • Y'all gotta chill, b.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
I really don't see where EX moves would turn people off (unless they're retards who believe Capcom invented them).

What was the first game to use EX attacks? I always thought it was one of the old SF games, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:57:19 PM by bmckay »
Kyo/Iori/K'

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:53 PM »
Either way, I think they're an integral part of the system and really add a level of thought to them. For example, with 3 different strengths of Ein Trigger, they all act differently. A is combo, C is speed, and EX is for it's own special properties like increased blockstun, safety, range, or invulnerability (EX Blackout)

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »

What was the first game to use EX attacks? I always thought it was Alpha2, but I could be wrong.

I believe it was Waku Waku 7.  Heard it somewhere here in this site.

bmckay

• New Challenger
  • Y'all gotta chill, b.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »
I believe it was Waku Waku 7.  Heard it somewhere here in this site.
Lol, this game looks amazing. Bonus-Kun? I need to see videos of this.
Kyo/Iori/K'

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »
Well my take on EXs is that it gives SNKP a way to give characters more move options without having to actually go as far as designing all the moves of older games.  That's why I have no problem with them.

On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.