Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 386339 times)

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: MLG Status edition
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »
My opinion on the matters are:

Ex's: I think they are a great mechanic, they add diversity and new dynamics to the gameplay. If they are not a true KoF mechanic I don't think that this really matters as long a they are great.

Tag ins: I am not really a big fan of tag ins (talking from experience from marvel) some characters become useless unless they balance the game really well which will be really hard to do; even so it's not my pick, they either go back to basics and even better keep the HD mode.

HD mode: As I said before it adds more risk and reward. To actually catch a good player in a HD combo is quite hard because you'll need to activate it in a combo or it's useless (I know I'm just stating the obvious). If someone could come back with a HD combo then I think they gave the game some dedication; it needs some skill to actually perform a HD combo unlike the SSFIV ultra and MvC 3 X factor.

About the new installment: I think they well bring the dream match in 2013; they'll make it KoF XIII 2013 and If they do they should do something about the netcode and make universal like BB. Hell I can dream cant I  ;)

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
You need to lay off the Marvel hate.

Hell no. I can't stand Marvel 3, and I don't even like Marvel 2 that much really to be honest, half the time I can't even tell what is going on screen, it's a mess. I'll play some of the earlier Marvel games, but they all have braindead infinites. I tried to like Marvel 3, but I was only forcing myself to like it as I did with SF4, I can't lie to myself. I think Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was a much better game than Marvel 3 if ya ask me.

I think KOFXI did the tag system right with 3 on 3 because it's not a frantic mess, there's no assists and the action is concentrated, rather than all over. Only thing I disliked was having a separate button for CD attacks, I think SNK could of found another way to make the traditional 4 button layout work for that game.

Try KamKaphan and I know Eltro is on PSN, the online is pretty good with them and you can learn a lot despite the difficulty of blocking short hops/crossups online.

I dunno, I played some guys from Syracuse and it had some heavy input delay, even though it's 4 bar. I can't really stand playing XIII online anymore.

@Saitsuofleaves - Moving is pretty much out of the question for me.

Lately I just been focused on Soul Calibur while waiting for Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 to drop. I've been more keen on 3D fighting games.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:01:42 PM by Running Wild »

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2012, 05:41:58 PM »
I pretty much agree with everything fujifujifujifuji said.

@ Running Wild: I'm with ya. I avoid Marvel 3 with a passion and don't really like Marvel 2. Weird thing is, Marvel 2 used to be my favorite game when I was like 12, but then I grew up and started seeing pure Magneto/Storm/Sentinel teams and the love I ever had for that game faded away.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
Marvel, even 2, is not for everyone, nor should it be.  Same with KOF.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »
^^ Amen brother. I really don't get this kneejerk reaction to Marvel.

Hell no. I can't stand Marvel 3, and I don't even like Marvel 2 that much really to be honest, half the time I can't even tell what is going on screen, it's a mess. I'll play some of the earlier Marvel games, but they all have braindead infinites. I tried to like Marvel 3, but I was only forcing myself to like it as I did with SF4, I can't lie to myself. I think Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was a much better game than Marvel 3 if ya ask me.

Dude, I just lost some respect for you. Seriously, TvC is a terrible game and there's definitely a reason people dropped it. It's not good at being its own game, it's too slow, it had worse balance and it doesn't have nearly as much options as MvC. If you don't like Marvel 2 then you just don't like Marvel period. No need to be hating on a game if you don't like it's style. Marvel isn't for everyone like Satsu says. That's like me talking trash about any SF outside of ST and EX. I hate a great majority of SF and I don't like the way the series has played over the years, but I can agree they're solid games, except for Alpha 1, NG and DI because those all suck.

Honestly, I don't get all this hate for solid games, even SFIV. I think we can all agree vanilla SFIV was a load of crap, but the game has grown considerably and it's a solid game right now. I necessarily agree with its slow and boring matchup based system, but it's a solid game nonetheless.

@Tyrant: I get it. You like EXes, you don't have to repeat yourself. I like it, you don't. You don't have to validate an opinion like that. I already made my opinion known. If I don't like EXes because they aren't KOF and you don't like tag mechanics because you suck/don't like Marvel like everyone else in the KOF community, that's good too.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
Say what you will, I liked TvC because of Alex and Batsu and the way the game played. I thought TvC had a pretty solid system and nice gameplay, overall I liked those aspects more than Marvel 3. The character balance was effed up, but then that's every VS. game ever, look at CvS2, that game is ridiculous. The reason people dropped TvC is obvious, it's on the Wii, and with MvC3 on PS3/Xbox360 announced there was little to no reason to play it anymore. I don't think it was dropped because it was a terrible game, it's just that it was more like filler than anything else and it lived its purpose.

I liked the earlier Marvel games to an extent, but after Marvel 2... no thanks, I don't like the game. Honestly, I think all Capcom's fighting games since they returned to the scene in 2008 have been pretty bad. HDR, SF4, MvC3, and now SFxT. All Capcom's been doing is dumbing down their games since their return, SF4 is and will always be a shitty game to me, the way it plays, looks and feels is just ass, and SFxT is no better in that regard. I am not looking forward to a Darkstalkers 4 with the way Capcom is doing things now, if that game becomes a reality with Ono at the helm, fuck it. I think the way Capcom has been handling their games is a joke, yet everybody plays them... I've washed my hands with Capcom, I'm sick of tired of their bullshit. I waited 2 years to play KOF13 and the game blew up in my area because everyone wants to go back to boring SF4 or nonsense MvC3, even though players here acknowledge that these games are ass, they continue to play them, rather than take the time to learn a whole new game. Last night I watched a bunch of SFxT matches and it was the dumbest thing I ever watched. I lost braincells just watching.

SNK tried to dumbdown the series with KOF12, and that blew up in their face, then we got 13 returned the series to the way it should be. It might not be the best KOF, but I think it's one of the better fighting games of this generation for sure and it deserves more love.

But if I can't get any interest for KOF in my area, then I'll just have to go back to being an online warrior in old SNK games that nobody outside of South America gives a damn about lol. That, or just remain focused on 3D fighters, which I can at least get a little bit of competition for, that and the online play in those aren't so bad compared to Capcom and SNK's efforts.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:57:46 PM by Running Wild »

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
I think Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was a much better game than Marvel 3 if ya ask me.

TvC is a terrible game and there's definitely a reason people dropped it.

Yay opinions!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »
Let's get back on topic with KOF please.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
Let's get back on topic with KOF please.
arguments are good for the soul bro

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
I'm bitter because no one plays my games.

That's what I got out of it. If you want for KOF to get popular in your area, put some effort into it. I actually got a few of my friends into it and this is an area where Tekken and Call of Duty reign supreme. And hoping to do even better when I open up shop with a business I've been planning for a 2 years now.

With KOF being more popular than ever before, you gotta step up or petition the hell the outta SNKP to stop giving work to GSS for a change for a decent netcode. There's no need to take your frustration on other games.

I'm done.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »
I'm bitter because no one plays my games.

That's what I got out of it. If you want for KOF to get popular in your area, put some effort into it. I actually got a few of my friends into it and this is an area where Tekken and Call of Duty reign supreme. And hoping to do even better when I open up shop with a business I've been planning for a 2 years now.

With KOF being more popular than ever before, you gotta step up or petition the hell the outta SNKP to stop giving work to GSS for a change for a decent netcode. There's no need to take your frustration on other games.

I'm done.
er pardon me bro i think the worst thing you can tell him is to put more effort into something he's been trying to do for a while it kinda makes it seem like your calling him lazy and dude has been trying to promote this game in his area for a while too

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
I don't think you understand, last summer when the arcade version was leaked on the internet, I was bringing that game out all the time, I saved the entire Dream Cancel wiki, movelists, combo vids, and stuff to my hard drive so I could show people how the game works and stuff. KOFXIII finally hit consoles after months of waiting, but there was very little interest. Nobody wanted to learn a new game, just stick with SF4 and Marvel 3. A few guys here sold it because it was either too hard for them or because we could never get a proper ranbat or tournament organized for the game (Marvel ran so long each time, KOF couldn't get started, let alone finish). Nobody here wants to seriously learn a game not many people are playing, so they play the games people do play, even if they aren't very good, case in point, SF4.

Online is the only way I can get any sort of competition in the games I mainly play, but for KOFXIII, it's inconsistent with the netcode. I did what I could for KOFXIII, I tried to put effort into putting the word out on the game, I plugged Dream Cancel and told players where they could find info and strategies for the game, but I dunno anymore. I really don't. I live in the wrong place to have a hobby of fighting games. I live in a tiny town with nothing, I have to drive a ways to find any fighting game players at all, but at this point, it's not worth it for me to go out of my way for 1 or 2 players, and my situation prevents me from moving very far.

KOFXIII at Evo and MLG is gonna be so huge for this game, but I'm disappointed I can't get much competition at the sessions going on here. LouisCipher is the best I got and he's about a hour away from me, but it's hard with our conflicting schedules. Shoutouts to LouisCipher.

You're my bro. Dat Hwa Jai.

But eventually King will dethrone that drunken Muay Thai bastard with her classy Muay Thai.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:22:59 PM by Running Wild »

bmckay

• New Challenger
  • Y'all gotta chill, b.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
You live near Louis? That's tight. He's a cool dude. lol. He plays Alex in 3S so he's dope in my book.
Kyo/Iori/K'

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:35 PM »
I might have a chance to promote KOFXIII a bit more and get people playing next month, the organizer of the tournaments is gonna be real busy, he's also mad old school like me, he knows KOF is the shit. This might be my chance to step in, help organize the monthly and get KOF in the spotlight.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »
I've always been wondering why HD is considered a comeback mechanic.
- You don't have to be on the losing side to use it, it's available to both players regardless of health.
- Characters don't get stronger or faster during HD mode and meters start equally empty at round 1.

But here's some of the points that I THINK why people call them comeback mechanic.
1- It can be used to utterly decimate an opponent superior in health with just a hit-confirm. Yes, but then you don't have to be losing to use this. Even though for obvious reasons you don't throw HD when fighting enemies with low health, it is counterproductive, but that doesn't mean you can't.
2- It can be used by anyone who mastered specific inputs and loops to defeat an arguably more skilled opponent. This is perhaps the clinching point, since I've heard people said that some noobs with average knowledge in HD can beat a superior player who knew spacing, footsies, using normals and stuff. Well, I hope nobody take this the wrong way but playing KOF XIII without HD is like playing MVC without the assist or KOF XI without the shift system (or any 3D fighting games without side-stepping or non fg example, playing an FPS without jumping). It's an integral feature that is vital but not necessary in playing the game, nevertheless it is rewarding if one can utilize it. But really, being humans...I believe some if not all of these notions that HD is a comeback feature stemmed from getting one's ass kicked with HD while thinking one is going to win. And one is angry because one does not know/didn't bother brushing up on HD. It is unfair to the game, does it not say that one deserved to win because he used something that although available to you as well, you neglect to use?

In my opinion it is not a comeback mechanic, a comeback mechanic would be something that is only available to the losing side specifically to make a "comeback". HD is more like "damage dealing mechanic" pretty much like supers, since you have to work to fill the bar, and you use it to deal damage and it gives both players equal advantages. After all, won't blowing out EX DM to enemy with high health better that blowing it on low health enemy? then EX DM is a comeback mechanic! or any other DMs for that matter.

You don't need to work that hard to fill meter considering that lots of attacks from your opponent you can gain pretty much a bar, add to the fact that the third character has 5 bars at his disposal, and it lots of cases, with just 4 you pretty much can 100% him, at least in 98, you will never see that

The thing IS a comeback mechanic, just not as noob friendly as x.factor (but still really noob friendly, if you really want to see something that you really had to work, watch max cancel in 2002um)

Waifu Material