Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 386365 times)

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: MLG Status edition
« Reply #495 on: April 09, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »

Building an offline community is not as easy as it sounds, maybe it is in the U.S but not here. I personally tried to build an offline community and I am still trying. Each week me and some of my friends gather to play KoF XIII we are still trying to gather more people (it's harder than it seems)  but still we cant play constantly because we are gathering only once a week, the online here is bad and we dont have an arcade place or a video games cafe we could gather in constantly; we gather at a house either mine or my friends.

Me, my friend that we gather at and my brother we play almost constantly; when there is time we hang out and play KoF XIII.

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
^ That's nice. I am so jealous of you. I have 2 friends that they were fanatic with KOF like me when we were kids. Today they prefer SFIV intead:(

yamazaky96

• Strongest Tiger
  • Drunken fist
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi team Page
« Reply #497 on: April 09, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »

Building an offline community is not as easy as it sounds, maybe it is in the U.S but not here. I personally tried to build an offline community and I am still trying. Each week me and some of my friends gather to play KoF XIII we are still trying to gather more people (it's harder than it seems)  but still we cant play constantly because we are gathering only once a week, the online here is bad and we dont have an arcade place or a video games cafe we could gather in constantly; we gather at a house either mine or my friends.

Me, my friend that we gather at and my brother we play almost constantly; when there is time we hang out and play KoF XIII.

never give up my friend
KOF scene was almost dead here 5 years ago
but we were able to make some reunions and compete at other communities and tournaments of SFIII:3s and SSF4 and proved our selves
now we have many new and returned KOF players
hopefully more people will join us soon

try coming to UAE one day and join our tournaments

UAE's KOF casuals and tournaments
www.youtube.com/user/yamazaky96

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 09, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »

never give up my friend
KOF scene was almost dead here 5 years ago
but we were able to make some reunions and compete at other communities and tournaments of SFIII:3s and SSF4 and proved our selves
now we have many new and returned KOF players
hopefully more people will join us soon

try coming to UAE one day and join our tournaments

Thanks man! I wont give up no matter what! I love this game so much that I wont even think of giving up. About the UAE, whenever I am going to the UAE ill let you know :D

^ That's nice. I am so jealous of you. I have 2 friends that they were fanatic with KOF like me when we were kids. Today they prefer SFIV intead:(

No need to be jealous :P. Try to win your friends over to KoF again; show them that it's a superior game.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 09, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
I dunno the whole circumstances for you, but I live in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania and I didn't even go to an anime convention and was able to ease in people from my college to like KOF. I think it's all in the approach. Because I know way too many people that want to shove KOF down people's throats and shit on other games and expect people to play, which never works. I started with SFIV and Tekken, then worked them into KOF and 3S as they started respecting the character designs and playstyles.

You could also start your own business like I'm trying to do and you'll have to eventually have to attract some KOF players.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #500 on: April 09, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »
The funny thing about building a local scene for a game that isn't really popular, is that you can never REALLY know who plays just based off the internet at all. There are some players that just don't use forums, message boards, or chats, for whatever reason. A lot of the players I have known that play KOF were through mutual acquaintances, or people that I have seen in the arcades here in the past. One player I found through a facebook event for another local game tournament which was incredibly unexpected.

I play Melty Blood, and I can't find NO ONE to play with seriously in that game at all offline. Either some people played a little bit, or they lost interest or they are very busy, etc.

So, honestly some people I feel are a bit more lucky than others. I do believe that it depends on your location to while it would be more easier to find people in common with more niche things in a bigger city than it is a village. It also depends on sharing that interest publicly...some really small places overseas have a KOF machine hooked up in a corner store or under a hut, which can build a local scene just by having random people stopping by and playing it.  

I would say if you are still having trouble finding players, locally, try not to limit your options when finding others. Stay active and connected to a forum (like this one) just incase someone pops up and joins that may be from around your area. Keep playing and practicing, and always keep your eye open. Keep your interest known to others but don't be annoying with it.

You could be walking past someone that plays KOF and you would never know it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:04:55 PM by Desmond Delaghetto »
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 10, 2012, 12:30:34 AM »
^^ Well said Desmond, thats exactly what I am doing right now but as you said some people are luckier than others; even so I am still trying to find people because I know that there are people here that play KoF or at least played it, so I can refresh them with KoF XIII :P. After all we had a great KoF community back then when we had arcades. The only games that I play now are KoF (mostly) and DOTA 2 beta.

I dunno the whole circumstances for you, but I live in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania and I didn't even go to an anime convention and was able to ease in people from my college to like KOF. I think it's all in the approach. Because I know way too many people that want to shove KOF down people's throats and shit on other games and expect people to play, which never works. I started with SFIV and Tekken, then worked them into KOF and 3S as they started respecting the character designs and playstyles.

You could also start your own business like I'm trying to do and you'll have to eventually have to attract some KOF players.

Your right. The approach is very important and don't worry, I don't shove Kof down their throat :P. Thank God I am a patient man, I usually teach new comers the game step by step and I stay with them for hours just teaching them and correcting their wrong; mostly trying to take away their frustration (that's if they are new to KoF, usually my friends try to develop my mind gaming because that's what I lack mostly). The problem is, it's hard to find people and most people don't want to put time in it; so they play call of duty, FIFA or pro evolution soccer. As for trying to start my own business, I want to but I don't have the money at the moment; I want to do something really huge and cool; If it isn't that way it wont work here.   

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 10, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »
You don't really need that much money as you do need a good business plan, tenacity and backers. I'm not sure where you're from but some places are better than others when it comes to finding people that will invest in business.

As for those that don't have the time, you just have to tell them that it's like practicing a guitar. 15 minutes a day to spare isn't that big of a deal and I get pretty lazy keeping up with fighters anyways. Competition really helps motivate people to get better, if they don't like competition, well...there isn't much you can do then. Fighters aren't for everyone.

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
You don't really need that much money as you do need a good business plan, tenacity and backers. I'm not sure where you're from but some places are better than others when it comes to finding people that will invest in business.

As for those that don't have the time, you just have to tell them that it's like practicing a guitar. 15 minutes a day to spare isn't that big of a deal and I get pretty lazy keeping up with fighters anyways. Competition really helps motivate people to get better, if they don't like competition, well...there isn't much you can do then. Fighters aren't for everyone.

Well, here in Bahrain it's not that easy to open a place and you need a strategic place so people would come; even so that our Island is too small, people here want everything near them. The more strategic the place the more expensive it is. Every place in the world has it's ways and rules. Still, if I dont do it now hopefully in the future.

The thing is, they dont even want to spend 15 min practicing. The funny part is that they like the game; I am still trying to convince them to play the game.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:32 PM »
The thing is, they dont even want to spend 15 min practicing. The funny part is that they like the game; I am still trying to convince them to play the game.

Risky, but make a challenge for your friends. If they like the game so much, see which of them can beat you, or even not get OCV'd by you. If they bite and you get one that even gets close to beating you or beating one character, you can explain why that guy did the best of all, and tell them what they could've used to beat you. I get the feeling there's a name for this; if anyone can remember, please shout it out.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

yamazaky96

• Strongest Tiger
  • Drunken fist
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi team Page
« Reply #505 on: April 10, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
tomorrow i will gather with new and interested players and give them a tutorial on KOF13
hopefully they will improve on it

UAE's KOF casuals and tournaments
www.youtube.com/user/yamazaky96

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 10, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
I thought Skullgirls went live and went to download it, still not up on PSN. Played 2 people in 13, one guy was green and the other was blue. Green guy lagged real bad, nothing special. Other guy it ran okay, but it still dropped inputs on me and the guy was committed to playing like it's SF4. Fuck that game, seriously.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 10, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
tomorrow i will gather with new and interested players and give them a tutorial on KOF13
hopefully they will improve on it

Lots of luck to you with your friends and other players tomorrow. Let them know they've got at the very least a whole website of support if they need it for getting good at it.

I thought Skullgirls went live and went to download it, still not up on PSN. Played 2 people in 13, one guy was green and the other was blue. Green guy lagged real bad, nothing special. Other guy it ran okay, but it still dropped inputs on me and the guy was committed to playing like it's SF4. Fuck that game, seriously.

Lots of guys get that culture shock when playing 13. Just hope they wise up with their style, or inform them that they don't have to play like that.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
Well there are days that randomly resorting to a SF4 style has saved my life.

Facing down a full health Clark with a barely alive Kensou was one of my prouder moments.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 11, 2012, 05:13:33 AM »

If they like the game that's a good start. Why don't you have them play each other and find a way to reward them for doing better. I'm sure not everyone's going to bite, but eventually when they see their progress, they'll only want to take it further.