Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 386301 times)

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition
« Reply #885 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »
I'm glad XIII is all Japanese voices.

Agreed!

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 15, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
I'm glad XIII is all Japanese voices.

Agreed!

Double quote for the truth. Never played a game with good english voices PERIOD. The same applies to dubs vs subs. Subs every time.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 15, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »
Oh god, here we go. 
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Mikel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
In my opinion, KOF's Japanese voices aren't even that good. I blame Yuri and Hwa for the most part (Their voices are just too annoying and they hurt my ears). If only the majority of KOF seiyuu's don't overuse the Kansai dialect, I will approve of the Japanese voices.

To be honest, the only Japanese voices I like are BlazBlue's, Virtua Fighter's, Tekken's, and a few other Japanese game's original dubs because they are much better and don't overuse (or not use) the Kansai dialect at all.

KOF's Japanese voices (only those with Kansai dialects) suck in my opinion. The only voices that are good in KOF are Iori, Athena, Mai (As of XIII), Andy, Joe, Raiden (XII only), Chin (XII~onward), Tizoc, Gato, Yamazaki, and a few others whose seiyuus actually did not use a Kansai dialect.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:22:16 PM by Mikel »

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 15, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »
Funny, i hear accents, but no dialect. Could you tell me more about this?

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 15, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »
This is hilarious.  Japanese voices better then the dubs?  Only reason is because people don't know what bad foreign acting is.  They can't understand it so they automatically assume it's better.  We call that the Weaboo ignorance.  Most of the times the Japanese think OUR American voiceacting is SUPERIOR to their original product.  However I attribute that to them not understanding either OR the fact that our men you know.  Sound like men.

Mikel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 15, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »
This is hilarious.  Japanese voices better then the dubs?  Only reason is because people don't know what bad foreign acting is.  They can't understand it so they automatically assume it's better.  We call that the Weaboo ignorance.  Most of the times the Japanese think OUR American voiceacting is SUPERIOR to their original product.  However I attribute that to them not understanding either OR the fact that our men you know.  Sound like men.

I, for one, prefer games that are dual audio, not single audio. Japanese-voice only games tend to get boring in my opinion because of the lack of an English voice option. If KOF XIII had an English dub on console, I'd be entertained some more and can easily understand what characters actually say.

If SNK hired these two seiyuu's for a KOF game, I'd enjoy the Japanese voices more:

Kazuya Nakai
Sengoku Basara Masamune Engrish Lines (Season 2)

Yuuichi Nakamura (A character he'd voice would make a good foil to Ash (Sounosuke Nagashiro))
Nakamura Yuuichi - compilation roles
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:36:30 PM by Mikel »

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 15, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
I would say it's got more to do with how they eq voices, with most of the lower range left out (it sounds better through arcade speakers which are smaller and tend to mud-up with bass heavy sounds). When it comes to home systems, you can mix it however you like, but on arcades, you have to limit yourself to what sounds clear on a 2 6" speaker system. I prefer japanese voice acting because it's always stronger/more emotional than lower budget dubs. Remeber Kyo's "eat this"? Yeah...

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
You know, learning japanese tanoshii dazo! But really, those who played kof98 for hours on end have gotten used to (and maybe have come to love) the ear grating sounds. Kof xiii has left us spoiled.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 15, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
Lol, did you really enjoy the wasei eigo on the first clip that much?
TBH, I don't think there's any dialect in kof xiii. If there were, I wouldn't be able to understand any if it. Several characters have anachronisms (Shen's foreign accent, Betty's formal speech, Terry/Clark and their engrish etc etc).
When you mention kansai, do you mean stuff like shortening words/verbs and the constant use of "ze!" or "zo!" at the end of sentences?
IF ANYTHING, it'd be a cool challenge to see how many quotes we can get translated and uploaded to the wikis. I wouldn't mind doing a couple myself.

Mikel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 15, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
Lol, did you really enjoy the wasei eigo on the first clip that much?

Yes, that is some of the best Engrish I have seen. I somehow like it better than Terry's Engrish.

When you mention kansai, do you mean stuff like shortening words/verbs and the constant use of "ze!" or "zo!" at the end of sentences?

Yes, and the accent that Kensou and Robert use (I believe other characters use it too). Most of SNK's seiyuu's live in Osaka (Which is in the Kansai region) and are usually hired for their games more than they would hire an anime seiyuu.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:59:00 PM by Mikel »

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
I'll give it a closer listen next time I play. I can kinda remember Robert and Kensou being accent heavy, but that's about it. And I think Robert's is acted (he's supposed to be Italian). As for zo/ze... Well, they're exclamation marks, but indicative of social status/interpersonal standing; you'd never use them talking to your superiors, for instance. And except for Yuri, I'm pretty sure they're exclusive to the male characters. Using anything else would sound super weird to the japanese, as one is seldom polite towards the target of a merciless pounding.

BTW: WTF? you don't understand japanese but you pick up on accents and the location of the actors???
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:03:39 PM by venusandeve »

Mikel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 15, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
I'll give it a closer listen next time I play. I can kinda remember Robert and Kensou being accent heavy, but that's about it. And I think Robert's is acted (he's supposed to be Italian). As for zo/ze... Well, they're exclamation marks, but indicative of social status/interpersonal standing; you'd never use them talking to your superiors, for instance. And except for Yuri, I'm pretty sure they're exclusive to the male characters. Using anything else would sound super weird to the japanese, as one is seldom polite towards the target of a merciless pounding.

BTW: WTF? you don't understand japanese but you pick up on accents and the location of the actors???

My Japanese is very limited, but I go onto the Japanese wikipedia to look up my research on SNK seiyuus after going on SNK wiki. I research them, their agency and where it's located (Most of them end up being located in Osaka (Vozator, Osaka TV Talent Bureau, Chara, and J-Productions, for example)).

Examples: Masahiro Nonaka (Kyo) works for Vozator, which is based in Osaka; Harumi Ikoma (King, Blue Mary) works for J-Productions, also based in Osaka; and Sounosuke Nagashiro works for the Osaka TV Talent Bureau, based in Osaka as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:19:28 PM by Mikel »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 15, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
The thing that lots of weabbos don't understand, is that lots of the english lines are translations from the japanese

At least my problem with english voices in this case is that they sound so little convincing

Take a look at VF, the Japanese voices sound like something you will hear someone say but the english voices are incredible ridiculous

Waifu Material

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #899 on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Athena,

Only if it's 97 Athena when she was portrayed with a deeper voice.